General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

14 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

What's the deal with the queen?

Like, I get some people could want a royal family I suppose, but why is the queen herself so popular when as far as I can see she traipses from one event to another with a face like a skelped arse and seems to hate every minute of it? Why does that provoke such warm feelings among so many people?

The rest of us can relate to that so "she's just like us".

The problem I have with a lot of investigative journalism, is that they always say: “There should be more investigative journalism” and I think, “When you tell me that a lot of rich people aren't paying tax, I’m shocked but I’m not surprised because I know that. I don’t want to read another article that tells me that”. What I want is an article that tells me why, when I’m told that, nothing happens and nothing changes. And no one has ever explained that to me.

Nothing changes because not enough people get angry about it.

You have the leak of the Panama papers and the Paradise papers.
A single episode of Panorama reveals that Lewis Hamilton saves millions by flying his plane to the Isle of Man just once.
He doesn't need the extra money but so what.
People are annoyed but not that annoyed.
Lewis Hamilton lives in Monaco.
What can you do?
In any case, they can't relate to Lewis Hamilton because he lives a completely different lifestyle to themselves.

Then you get dozens of programmes about benefit cheats.
Tom down the road got £20 from the council to help buy a new washing machine when there was nothing wrong with the old one.
People love that.
Terrible Tom.  Lock him up.  Throw away the key.
Oh but would you like £20 to help you buy a new washing machine?
Yes please.

25 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Nothing changes because not enough people get angry about it.

You have the leak of the Panama papers and the Paradise papers.
A single episode of Panorama reveals that Lewis Hamilton saves millions by flying his plane to the Isle of Man just once.
He doesn't need the extra money but so what.
People are annoyed but not that annoyed.
Lewis Hamilton lives in Monaco.
What can you do?
In any case, they can't relate to Lewis Hamilton because he lives a completely different lifestyle to themselves.

Then you get dozens of programmes about benefit cheats.
Tom down the road got £20 from the council to help buy a new washing machine when there was nothing wrong with the old one.
People love that.
Terrible Tom.  Lock him up.  Throw away the key.
Oh but would you like £20 to help you buy a new washing machine?
Yes please.

The average punter in the street really doesn't care, as the sad fact is that peoples lives appear to be affected by the performances on Strictly, I'm a Celebrity, X factor or even how their football team performed at the weekend. Similarly, the majority (despite the msm rhetoric), couldn't give a flying fcuk about Brexit outcomes as they neither understand it or indeed want to understand it.

I also believe that most can't even comprehend the sort of money and lifestyle that the elite footballers, media stars (using the term loosely) lead, if however it was put in simpler terms that one individual with little to no talent or intelligence was earning (again, using the term loosely) more money than they could earn in 100 lifetimes then maybe they'd listen, but probably not.

Of course the problem is that the elite control the media and they're overjoyed that the majority couldn't care less about being exploited and manipulated as that just makes the job easier and keeps the revenue flows flowing in.

As the days pass though, I can see with my own eyes that our population in general is becoming poorer and those at the top are becoming far richer, our homelessness problem is increasing by the day, unemployment will undoubtedly start increasing at possibly rapid rates, wages are being kept low for the majority (despite the media and Gov statistics) and ultimately there will come a point when people see what is happening and will have had enough.

Personally I prey for this day, however I do seriously worry that it may take a Hitler style character to actually get through to the majority and that is what frightens me................

The average punter in the street really doesn't care, as the sad fact is that peoples lives appear to be affected by the performances on Strictly, I'm a Celebrity, X factor or even how their football team performed at the weekend. Similarly, the majority (despite the msm rhetoric), couldn't give a flying fcuk about Brexit outcomes as they neither understand it or indeed want to understand it.
I also believe that most can't even comprehend the sort of money and lifestyle that the elite footballers, media stars (using the term loosely) lead, if however it was put in simpler terms that one individual with little to no talent or intelligence was earning (again, using the term loosely) more money than they could earn in 100 lifetimes then maybe they'd listen, but probably not.
Of course the problem is that the elite control the media and they're overjoyed that the majority couldn't care less about being exploited and manipulated as that just makes the job easier and keeps the revenue flows flowing in.
As the days pass though, I can see with my own eyes that our population in general is becoming poorer and those at the top are becoming far richer, our homelessness problem is increasing by the day, unemployment will undoubtedly start increasing at possibly rapid rates, wages are being kept low for the majority (despite the media and Gov statistics) and ultimately there will come a point when people see what is happening and will have had enough.
Personally I prey for this day, however I do seriously worry that it may take a Hitler style character to actually get through to the majority and that is what frightens me................
A very good post and an accurate summation. The only thing that will bring about change is when problems begin to visit the middle classes and Brexit is almost guaranteed to do just that to some degree.

Right-wing Governments are traditionally very relaxed about a large pool of unemployed or workers on precarious contracts as it depresses wages and stifles protest.

However, when Mr & Mrs Average Aspiration in their 40's lose their jobs and the debt balloon mushrooms before popping all over the UK the alarm bells will jangle furiously.

If only everyone acknowledged that ingrained poverty and injustice impoverishes us all.

19 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A very good post and an accurate summation. The only thing that will bring about change is when problems begin to visit the middle classes and Brexit is almost guaranteed to do just that to some degree.

Right-wing Governments are traditionally very relaxed about a large pool of unemployed or workers on precarious contracts as it depresses wages and stifles protest.

However, when Mr & Mrs Average Aspiration in their 40's lose their jobs and the debt balloon mushrooms before popping all over the UK the alarm bells will jangle furiously.

If only everyone acknowledged that ingrained poverty and injustice impoverishes us all.

Yes, you're probably right. Problems don't exist or should I say are completely ignored by our political classes and media up until such times as they themselves are the ones affected and THEN action is generally taken.

19 hours ago, WATTOO said:

In short.....

PAY SOLDIERS FOOTBALLERS' WAGES!

It's a pretty long read is that, but well worth it.

I'd like to point out that my view on Brexit ties with his (he's just able to put it more coherently, and back it up with reasoned arguments). Brexit brings with it an opportunity for something different. Events could quickly spiral out of control.

I don't think anyone knows what is going on.  The responses from political parties and politically engaged people can't keep up and are stuck in the way of looking at politics and society that doesn't fit with modern life.

59 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's a pretty long read is that, but well worth it.

I'd like to point out that my view on Brexit ties with his (he's just able to put it more coherently, and back it up with reasoned arguments). Brexit brings with it an opportunity for something different. Events could quickly spiral out of control.

Agreed, it's an excellent piece.

My own thoughts on our society is that we're probably too far gone and may need something such as a global pandemic or a World War to bring society back together again.

Selfish people, selfish society, a place where people don't really connect with one another and each generation appears to be becoming ever more shallow and narcissistic than the previous.

As society, We have also become completely intolerant of any view which doesn't agree with or fit the majority agenda, we're unable to hold debates without fear of "offending someone" and generally it's just a sad and pretty pathetic time in history that we're living through (with the exception of Lawrence Shanklands exploits of course).

I'm also pretty sure that the US controlled social media platforms will soon have the whole developed world thinking, speaking & spelling like an American and knowledge of our own cultures and history will be erased or altered forever.

As much as that was a great article, it's also very depressing in many ways............

On 01/01/2019 at 20:32, MixuFixit said:

What's the deal with the queen?

Like, I get some people could want a royal family I suppose, but why is the queen herself so popular when as far as I can see she traipses from one event to another with a face like a skelped arse and seems to hate every minute of it? Why does that provoke such warm feelings among so many people?

Royal commentator as flotilla sales past: and I can see Her Majesty is absolutely tickled by the surprise appearance of the ship she undertook her first official engagement in as monarch

camera cuts to Queen:

queen_flotilla.jpg

What's the craic with this? I was reading a bit but couldn't see the gist of it. Is it that they say (shock horror) that his thesis is a bit crap, or is it more serious accusations?

They accused him of not having one and then when he posted a link to them they tried to mark it despite the lack of qualification to do so. Totally normal behaviour particularly from Jeremy Duns in spending literal weeks obsessing over this. Presumably it must be linked to stopping Brexit somehow.

Well thats not very entertaining.

Think someone compiled a list of all the alt-centre’s insane conspiracies and what’s most notable is how dull they are. “Conclusive proof” Corbyn voted Brexit, Corbyn is a pisshead, everyone on left Twitter is coordinated by Seamus Milne etc all argued with gusto.