General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

It’s not laying off if it’s probationers though. You’re only guaranteed one year.

That's correct .  Not really a long term strategy for filling jobs, cheaply or otherwise, though.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Heard tales from people I know, probably true, of teachers in schools and in further education being laid off because their experience means they take too much out of the budget, and they can hire more beginners for less or the same money.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The same thing happens in the finance sector and is probably happening across the board. 21st century capitalism is all about short termism and asset stripping, hence the need for knowledge and experience is of no value to many companies and just a drain on budgets.

Pathetic, but true............

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. The same thing happens in the finance sector and is probably happening across the board. 21st century capitalism is all about short termism and asset stripping, hence the need for knowledge and experience is of no value to many companies and just a drain on budgets.

Pathetic, but true............

Were these things sandwiched in between Facebook posts warning of Romanians stealing children in Asda and others threatening 10 years bad luck of you don’t share a picture of a crying dog?

Isn't most of the Scottish public sector operating under a No Compulsory Redundancy policy? The NHS definitely is. I think it stretches credibility a bit to say councils are laying off teachers in order to directly replace them with new people to save money - without being an expert it doesn't sound legal if nothing else.

NotThePars' scenario sounds more plausible but then I don't know how probationers are allocated. The incentive is certainly there for individual public sector managers to do whatever they can to get costs down - some that I work with are in the habit of shaving a few hours off each role whenever they readvertise a post when someone leaves and the like. So a job that used to be full time is readvertised at 35 hours a week rather than 39 or whatever.
Teachers can now be laid off as the deal on compulsory redundancies ended last year.

Just now, Principal Flutie said:

HB deserves credit for a job well done with that one tbh. Oaksoft got a well deserved hounding.

It was pretty funny tbh, and one of the few times H_B didn't make a complete fool of himself here. Someone else gave Oaksoft an absolute telting around that time also, possibly relating to Uni degrees. Ad Lib maybe? 

It was pretty funny tbh, and one of the few times H_B didn't make a complete fool of himself here. Someone else gave Oaksoft an absolute telting around that time also, possibly relating to Uni degrees. Ad Lib maybe? 

Libby did. 

VT and others jumped in to finish him off.

He's also been soundly beaten on any argument on benefits by yourself.

Poppies...

Some good points being made as to why we put so much effort into commemorating the dead (a good thing mostly) but neglect the living veterans? Why can't the UK govt look after the soldiers it sent into various wars?

And this in the Mirror:

At least 13,000 of our war heroes are homeless after leaving the military, a Sunday People probe reveals.

Military charities said the shameful figure is a record high and the Government is failing those who risk their lives for Queen and country.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/least-13000-hero-soldiers-left-11847000

30 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Pro tip to all politicians.  If you are a 57 year old married guy who looks like this, nobody wants to see pictures of your dick so anyone asking is probably up to no good

image.png.efbd1ad0cd791eddc95a2441878fbe1e.png

Here is the full story

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tony-clement-sexting-1.4894889

When they texted back “what a dick!” he obviously took it as a compliment.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

When they texted back “what a dick!” he obviously took it as a compliment.

He's one of these Tory p***ks like you have sort of a mixture of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg so it's poetic that his dick was the part of his anatomy that got him in trouble

I was struck by the solemn and respectful demeanor of Theresa May over the last few days of Remembrance.
But I also marvel at how she can consummately adjust her moral compass when it comes to the UK selling armaments to, for example, Saudi Arabia to then bomb Yemeni children to death.
This daughter of the manse may be lacking in many things, but rampant hypocrisy is not one of them.

I was struck by the solemn and respectful demeanor of Theresa May over the last few days of Remembrance.
But I also marvel at how she can consummately adjust her moral compass when it comes to the UK selling armaments to, for example, Saudi Arabia to then bomb Yemeni children to death.
This daughter of the manse may be lacking in many things, but rampant hypocrisy is not one of them.
Is there not a money trail back to her husband from these arm sales?

Is there not a money trail back to her husband from these arm sales?

Yes, in that his company are large (if not the largest) shareholders in companies like Lockheed Martin and BAE Systems.

Unsure if there is a dirtier path back to him personally.

*edit, but still stands to profit.