General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Yes, in that his company are large (if not the largest) shareholders in companies like Lockheed Martin and BAE Systems.
Unsure if there is a dirtier path back to him personally.

Just following in the Thatcher tradition. Denis was a Director and shareholder with Coalite which in turn owned the Falkland Island Company which owned most of the islands.

Just following in the Thatcher tradition. Denis was a Director and shareholder with Coalite which in turn owned the Falkland Island Company which owned most of the islands.
Was it not Castrol/Burma Oil he was involved with? Who I'm sure were also in no way tied to the coal or oil industries of the Falklands around the time we went to war. That all is admittedly bit foggy to me though I've probably not dug deep enough.

Not like Thatcher to use coal and oil industries to prop up her premiership and ideologies, eh.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Was it not Castrol/Burma Oil he was involved with? Who I'm sure were also in no way tied to the coal or oil industries of the Falklands around the time we went to war. That all is admittedly bit foggy to me though I've probably not dug deep enough.

Not like Thatcher to use coal and oil industries to prop up her premiership and ideologies, eh.

IIRC Denis Thatcher owned an oil-based company which he sold for a considerable sum of money to the holding company of Castrol.

Members of National action could face jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46151838

A big difference between here and some European countries where the far right are tolerated and in some cases encouraged.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Members of National action could face jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46151838

A big difference between here and some European countries where the far right are tolerated and in some cases encouraged.

These people are deranged scum, however there's quite a bit of the "evidence" against them purely circumstantial and also not actually a criminal offence, so far as I'm aware.

Dressing up in white robes ? -- Childish and pathetic but not a crime.

Collecting Nazi memorabilia ? -- Nothing wrong with that from a criminal perspective and many people do it, especially if interested in history.

Spouting nonsense on social media ? -- Again, some of it is disgusting and rather pathetic but I'm unsure if actually a crime ??

Naming your child after Hitler ? -- Again pathetic, but certainly not a criminal offence.

The only real offence that I've come across is the collection and hoarding of illegal weapons.

My whole problem here is how this has been reported, as it's almost making it out to be illegal to hold views which others don't agree with or like, and while I personally find some of their views and opinions repugnant, it's a serious worry when an individuals right to free speech and unpopular opinions are being deemed to be criminal if they don't suit the mainstream view.

57 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

These people are deranged scum, however there's quite a bit of the "evidence" against them purely circumstantial and also not actually a criminal offence, so far as I'm aware.

Dressing up in white robes ? -- Childish and pathetic but not a crime.

Collecting Nazi memorabilia ? -- Nothing wrong with that from a criminal perspective and many people do it, especially if interested in history.

Spouting nonsense on social media ? -- Again, some of it is disgusting and rather pathetic but I'm unsure if actually a crime ??

Naming your child after Hitler ? -- Again pathetic, but certainly not a criminal offence.

The only real offence that I've come across is the collection and hoarding of illegal weapons.

My whole problem here is how this has been reported, as it's almost making it out to be illegal to hold views which others don't agree with or like, and while I personally find some of their views and opinions repugnant, it's a serious worry when an individuals right to free speech and unpopular opinions are being deemed to be criminal if they don't suit the mainstream view.

Celebrating and encouraging terrorist offences like the murder of Jo Cox is a bit naughty imo, and illegal under the Terrorism Act of 2006. 

I don't think the "terrorism act" was brought in to be used on throwaway comments by childish halfwits on social media.

At this rate they'll need to lock up half the population.

Seriously though, I wonder how much taxpayers money was spent on this investigation and court case when there's REAL serious and violent crimes going uninvestigated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45919730

Reading the above, it's actually quite amusing as they sound more like a teenage fantasy club of nerds as opposed to dangerous Neo Nazi thugs........

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I don't think the "terrorism act" was brought in to be used on throwaway comments by childish halfwits on social media.

At this rate they'll need to lock up half the population.

Seriously though, I wonder how much taxpayers money was spent on this investigation and court case when there's REAL serious and violent crimes going uninvestigated.

This isnae a dig at you WATTOO but a generalisation I've noted from a lot of fuds on ma facebook.

White, right wing terrorist or terrorist sympathisers gets arrested for anything to do with the terrorism act or public order offences: IT'S THOUGHT CRIME! DISGUSTING! etc

Muslim, right wing terrorist or terrorist sympathisers gets arrested for anything to do with terrorism act or public order offences: DEPORT HIM! DISGUSTING THAT HE'S PROMOTING THESE HATEFUL CRIMES! etc

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This isnae a dig at you WATTOO but a generalisation I've noted from a lot of fuds on ma facebook.

White, right wing terrorist or terrorist sympathisers gets arrested for anything to do with the terrorism act or public order offences: IT'S THOUGHT CRIME! DISGUSTING! etc

Muslim, right wing terrorist or terrorist sympathisers gets arrested for anything to do with terrorism act or public order offences: DEPORT HIM! DISGUSTING THAT HE'S PROMOTING THESE HATEFUL CRIMES! etc

Yes, I do see your point. The bloke with the hook being a prime example, although he was pretty mainstream hardcore compared with this bunch of sad losers.

Also quite a lot of terrorism cases not all of the evidence is openly reported for obvious reasons.
That said the guy quite unapologetically was a member of a terrorist group and that according to the law is wrong. Possessing a copy of the anarchists cookbook is also illegal under terrorism legislation, so that again is wrong.
The stuff about the KKK etc is necessary to bring out in court that those concerned were hard line white supremacists, id suggest from the circumstantial evidence in this case and the physical/technological evidence that the people in question are actually quite dangerous.

Consider that before a counter terrorism operation is launched at a significant cost to the public and possibly at the expense of other potential operations (due to need to prioritise and identify real threats) that the police/security services have risk assessed (and yes they dont always get everything right) and found these people to pose potential for harm. Id wager that they would have info that these folks were going to commit some kind of act and this was a preventative measure, if so then it has my full support.

Anyone who wasn't delighted that we had a bona fide evil b*****d terrorist sporting a genuine eye patch/hook hand combo deserves a skelp. Disgusting that we tried to deport him. We shoulda made a cartoon about his hi-jinks.

There was this...

3101485D-B5A6-4319-9D41-B42B9460FD37-4287-00000390FED565F7.jpg

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Reading the above, it's actually quite amusing as they sound more like a teenage fantasy club of nerds as opposed to dangerous Neo Nazi thugs........

I think they're a lot more dangerous than that. Best to step in before you get another Breivik or Mair.

In November 2017, six people – 31-year-old Christopher Lythgoe, from Warrington, Garron Helm, 24, of Seaforth, Merseyside; Matthew Hankinson, 23, of Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside; and Andrew Clarke, 33, and Michael Trubini, 35, both of Warrington, and Jack Renshaw, were charged with being members of National Action, which is banned in the UK. Two of the men, Lythgoe and Renshaw, were also charged with being involved in a plot to murder the West Lancashire MP Rosie Cooper with a machete, and of threatening to kill a police officer. In July 2017, a former National Action member, Robbie Mullen, reported the plot to the anti-racism organisation Hope Not Hate, who reported the matter to the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Action_(UK)

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

With all the goings on just in case anybody missed this

It's absolutely disgraceful and a shocking indictment on this country and our society in general.

This of course is perfectly highlighted with one of the other prominent headlines this week, where a multi millionaire who earns (using the term loosely) over £2.5 million p/a is being given a further £5 million as a wee present just for doing his job as he's decided to retire. On top of this we have half witted, moronic and obnoxious mediocre footballers being handed over £5 million p/a meanwhile 20% of our population are on the poverty line struggling to heat their homes and feed their children.

Disbelief and anger doesn't come close to describing how I feel about this...............