General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I think to call it 'divide and rule' is a bit unfair tbh - a similar deal got agreed for the NHS a few months back with no controversy. If the thinking is that the bottom of the band is paid too low but the top of the band is closer to being about right then in theory it's a perfectly sensible thing to do. EIS are just calling it divide and rule because it's a good line and the offer doesn't match their demand.

Ultimately, fair play to EIS for making a big stand for their members and for trying to make some hay out of the political importance the government are placing on education at the moment, but surely to f**k they're not actually going to get anything close to a 10% rise? There's no way any government can agree to that given what's already been agreed for other public sector staff. Interested to see how this develops tbh - the SNP has historically been very good at managing 'civic Scotland' in this way, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep that up and find some kind of compromise, or if we end up with a teacher's strike.

The top of the scale is the real problem - where the majority of teachers stagnate. A lack of opportunities means that there is nowhere to progress to and this pay offer does little to improve moral.

A friend who is teacher spent 17 years working in retail and feels more frustrated as a teacher than he ever did in retail. He never thought he would say it but he's considering getting back into the rat race.

Even when there are promotion opportunities the issue of job-sizing raises its head - more work for less pay than their predecessors - the assumption that fewer pupils due to demographics means less work is one of the biggest red herrings out there.

So......

Scottish Conservatives say Scotland will no longer be able to attract top drawer business people from England to Scotland, and some of those that are already here, may think about moving back down south.

Good riddance, I say.... I'll wager that most of these immigrants would have voted no in the Indyref, and would do so again in the event of an Indyref2.

49 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

You talk about fascism, but have no problem supporting a royal family who's privledge is purely down to genetics. I think we all know who the real fascist is here tbh.

You really don't have a clue do you? Can only attack your weird strawman construction of me that has no relation to my actual political beliefs. Somehow I'm a monarchist unionist - can you actually back that up with my words?

On the other hand you are reading, sharing and defending the works of open fascists and still not apologising or repenting for it so your exposure as a fascist is obvious.

1 minute ago, Jambo: First Blood said:

You really don't have a clue do you? Can only attack your weird strawman construction of me that has no relation to my actual political beliefs. Somehow I'm a monarchist unionist - can you actually back that up with my words?

On the other hand you are reading, sharing and defending the works of open fascists and still not apologising or repenting for it so your exposure as a fascist is obvious.

Because you don't come across as a brainwashed pro-unionist royal arse licking twat on here at all....

4 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

How seriously shit is Ian Blackford? Please keep him up there in the SNP hierarchy. This guy makes fantastic viewing. What a complete buffoon, he’s a poor man’s John Mason.

Not a peep for months........ Rightly ridiculed for unashamed nawbaggery......banished to the hinterlands of followfollow and other such visions of hell .....

.....and and then emerging from the darkness comes.......

.....The Minterman......

F@ck me they all come out at Halloween.

What about you? Where is your solidarity for the homeless men, women and children on the streets of Scotland, while billions of Scottish tax payers money is funded on goodies for your highly privileged chums in London?
We all know where your "solidarity" lies.

And where is the SNP’s solidarity with the homeless Scottish men, women and children when we have vital housing in Glasgow being used up by people with officially no right to be the UK following assessment, but the SNP couldn’t face siding with the Home Office and Serco to remove them from the homes. Tell that to the Scottish families on the street at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

And where is the SNP’s solidarity with the homeless Scottish men, women and children when we have vital housing in Glasgow being used up by people with officially no right to be the UK following assessment, but the SNP couldn’t face siding with the Home Office and Serco to remove them from the homes. Tell that to the Scottish families on the street at the moment.

How many scottish families are on the street?

How many people with no right to be in the UK are "taking up" homes in Glasgow?

How many scottish families are on the street?
How many people with no right to be in the UK are "taking up" homes in Glasgow?

I understand from the recent statements that there are 330 people being housed for free in Glasgow, and who have officially should not be Scotland.

As for the number of homeless families in Scotland, I’d imagine the number is in the thousands.

I’d imagine the cost of building new homes for 330 people is pretty significant, but there’s homes there for these families, the SNP were too feart to free them up.

So here’s one for you, do you think it’s right that free homes should be provided for these people with no right to be here, rather than homeless Scottish families being moved in? A simple yes or no will suffice.

5 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

I understand from the recent statements that there are 330 people being housed for free in Glasgow, and who have officially should not be Scotland.

As for the number of homeless families in Scotland, I’d imagine the number is in the thousands.

I’d imagine the cost of building new homes for 330 people is pretty significant, but there’s homes there for these families, the SNP were too feart to free them up.

So here’s one for you, do you think it’s right that free homes should be provided for these people with no right to be here, rather than homeless Scottish families being moved in? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Your theory only works on the assumption that there are no homes vacant anywhere in Glasgow, which is of course pish. Furthermore there were a total of 1450 homeless assessments on people with dep children across the whole of Scotland in 2018. The figure for Glasgow will be a fraction of that. 

I have no problem at all with helping out fellow human being in dire straits because I'm not a self-loathing Tory c**t with a penchant for some racist bigotry. 

Finally considering you have plenty of previous on here for disparaging comments towards the homeless, folk on benefits etc, I don't think anyone here is going to take your sudden concern for them particularly seriously. 

I want my government to show some solidarity with any homeless people, especially those with children, no matter which country they were born in.

Serco is a disgusting excuse for a company.

Your theory only works on the assumption that there are no homes vacant anywhere in Glasgow, which is of course pish. Furthermore there were a total of 1450 homeless assessments on people with dep children across the whole of Scotland in 2018. The figure for Glasgow will be a fraction of that. 

I have no problem at all with helping out fellow human being in dire straits because I'm not a self-loathing Tory c**t with a penchant for some racist bigotry. 

Finally considering you have plenty of previous on here for disparaging comments towards the homeless, folk on benefits etc, I don't think anyone here is going to take your sudden concern for them particularly seriously. 

These people must be in such a dire predicament that they have been assessed and found there’s absolutely no need for them to be here. Still, let’s let them stay for free at the expense of our own.

And now you’re just lying about my previous comments, have I rattled you that much? £100 to a charity of your choice if you can provide any evidence of me making ‘disparaging comments towards the homeless, folk on benefits etc’. Over to you, snowflake. I’ll wait.

I see the SNP have suspended some blogger crank. Right decision tbh - about time we clamped down on these liabilities. You can't call a Labour activist an 'english fifth columnist' and expect to stay in the party. #GammonWeirdosOut, frankly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-46031103

Bit of a minter for the cyberda contingent online insisting there was nothing wrong with that article.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Bit of a minter for the cyberda contingent online insisting there was nothing wrong with that article.

I wouldn't disagree about the blog being way over the top, however I've heard the words "Hitler" and "Jew" mentioned more in the past 18 months than I have in the past 30 years combined.

Is this because anti semitism is indeed on the rise ? or is it because certain areas of the media / political classes are using this to attack any view which they find unpopular ?

I'm sure this argument will go on and on and on and on....................