General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

40 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

As a relatively new addition to the P&B community, are you in a position to judge “peak” P&B?
asking for a friend.

I've seen the thread about "lower classes" and today's effort body shaming football fans. And the club photos one and the Tinder one. I was a browser for a while before I joined to discuss the growth commission report.

On that basis you will have no sympathy for the Scottish electorate because they voted NO rather than YES?

Scottish electorate responded to the false promises from indy ref, thus back to my original point that the rest of the UK has voted to implement a tory government and in NI’s case actually ensured they took power to hammer brexit through so no I have no sympathy with an electorate that votes tory and brexit (albeit NI voted remain but then elected a bigoted pro brexit party in the last GE to represent a majority of its seats).

36 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I was referring to electing the dinosaur denial DUP.

Well you should have made that a bit clearer. (And I don't think that's official DUP policy, I don't recollect seeing it on their manifesto.)

The other half of the electorate who actually voted elected the terrorist supporting, non seat taking Sinn Fein, who are now very much pro EU, so maybe direct some of your venom at them for not attempting to influence the Brexit debate - such as it is - at Westminster.

38 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Scottish electorate responded to the false promises from indy ref, thus back to my original point that the rest of the UK has voted to implement a tory government and in NI’s case actually ensured they took power to hammer brexit through so no I have no sympathy with an electorate that votes tory and brexit (albeit NI voted remain but then elected a bigoted pro brexit party in the last GE to represent a majority of its seats).

Do you not think it would be better to consider people as individuals rather than as part of an electoral blocks? Saying "everyone in England deserves" ignores the fact that millions of people voted and campaigned the other way.

And for people who are daft enough to vote Tory against their interest or don't vote it's worth remembering that there is a huge international effort to promote right wing thought, create ignorance and create false conciousness. 

Edited by Detournement

37 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The EU referendum took place before the last General Election, so the government had had a few months to implement Brexit policy without the need of the DUP, who actually cut a good deal for NI regarding extra money in return for their support.

Brexit was going ahead with or without the support of the DUP.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
I've seen the thread about "lower classes" and today's effort body shaming football fans. And the club photos one and the Tinder one. I was a browser for a while before I joined to discuss the growth commission report.

What a fucking bell end.

If thinking that mocking pictures of random people online is out order makes you a bellend then guilty as charged.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I blame Tory voters for voting Tory in the same way I blame NO voters for voting NO.  I won’t condemn all English folk for the actions of some of them.  To do so is bordering upon xenophobia.

I also think that it has already been pointed out that only a minority of folk voted Tory; the archaic FPTP system for Westminster is a nonsense.

Matt Whittaker Tweets:

DoLRvWJXUAA4vrf.png

slowest decade of growth since the one ending in 1952

DoLVOtwWsAA7mzB.png

In terms of living standards, we're now looking at an unprecedented pause in household income growth. A decade on from the crisis, disposable income per person is just 2.5% higher than it was. At the same stage after the 1980 and 1990 recessions it was 33% and 29% higher

Always puzzles me why the Tories are thought to be good with the economy.