General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Is it not an assessment in the form of a test on a computer?
We should be copying the Scandinavian example rather than the Westminster one.
Computer testing is pretty much the norm though - the new tests for P1, P4, P7 and S3 are devised by CEM at Durham University who ran the old old Pips/Incas/Midyis/Sosca testing - all run on computers.

Going by the idiotic reaction of some parents and primary teachers you would never have guessed that Pips (for P1s) ran for almost 10 years - you'd think there had been no assessment before the new tests if you listened to their moans.

I thought sturgeon was quite weak today at fmqs. Her answer (which she used more than once) about 2/3 of Scottish voters voting for this testing is a horrible use of statistics.

I'm guessing S1 testing was nowhere near the priority list of most voters.
She really should have went on the attack and asked why the Tories and Labour supported Pips for P1 but not the new (similar) assessments for P1.

This is political opportunism at its worst by the unionists.

She really should have went on the attack and asked why the Tories and Labour supported Pips for P1 but not the new (similar) assessments for P1.

This is political opportunism at its worst by the unionists.
I agree. It was a horrible ten minutes all-round. I'm undecided on p1 testing but I don't understand why the SNP have gone so far down this rabbit hole, without getting the support of everyone involved (as far as possible).

22 hours ago, Detournement said:

The SNP need to bin Swinney asap.

You can stick testing five year olds next to Named Person and abolishing corroboration in the pantheon of SNP bad policies. They obviously have no ideas of their own so just run with whatever the closest civil servant suggests.

Testing five year-olds is absolutely fine. It's remarkable how political parties can use the media to whip up quite the frenzy against what is a perfectly good idea. Sensible, even.

Kids will only be stressed if you make them stressed. Call it a quiz, do it, play a game. I have worked with (and taught) kids that age for years, and the idea that they will somehow be traumatised by this is just cynical political nonsense. Of course, hysterical parents are among the easiest section of the population to fool.

The bottom line is that we need to know where our kids are at five years-old. A teacher cannot adequately assess a full class of kids without some means for doing so. Even if teachers think they can, we then open the door to inevitable human differences in assessment standards - some teachers will be harsh, others will be lenient - making the whole exercise pointless.

Aberdeen Council should be ashamed of themselves, and I hope their voters will keep in mind that they have used the children of their area as a football to kick at the government with absolutely no basis. This garbage is up there with people who are against immunising their kids for raw stupidity.

Edited by JTS98

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's not just about the kids feelings about the tests. Surely the bigger factor is that it will change the behaviour of teachers (who are really being assessed) and roaster parents?

What's the problem?

Hopefully it will show up the problem of the dearth of talent our teacher training is throwing up and lead to a massive re-think about what kind of people should be teaching in Scottish school.s

5 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

^^^^ Looking for a job at the Daily Mail.

Storming speech by McDonnell at Conference this morning. Many will decry the proposed policies as a wishlist (Indeed the BBC went into full "investors will panic!" mode), but if even half of that stuff comes to pass, we would have a fairer, more prosperous society. Full employment rights from Day One, TU recognition, Renationalistion of Energy, Rail, and Mail? Bring it on!

And do you know what makes it especially welcome? Everything is geared to making the future brighter for the people, not "the country" as the Tories keep telling us. Ask kids in temporary accommodation, victims of DWP rule-changes or ex-squaddies in shop doorways how pleased they are with growth figures or the prospect of a trade deal with Trump. Ask the single mums how pleased they are that their zero-hours job with no rights means they are "employed". 

You know what? Fúck all this. Look around you. Surely ANYTHING has to be better than what these absolute cúnts are doing to us, our children, and generations to come. How any decent human being can look at today's Britain and not feel energised to try and fix it is beyond me. 

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Heard a clip of Leonard’s speech.

Seems that the Scottish people will be denied a second Referendum even if they vote in favour of having one.

Strange form of democracy.

He didn't actually say that but don't let the truth get in the way of Nationalist outrage.

There was nothing about Labour at Westminster refusing a second referendum request under the Scotland just that the Labour manifesto will explicitly say that they don't want one.

Storming speech by McDonnell at Conference this morning. Many will decry the proposed policies as a wishlist (Indeed the BBC went into full "investors will panic!" mode), but if even half of that stuff comes to pass, we would have a fairer, more prosperous society. Full employment rights from Day One, TU recognition, Renationalistion of Energy, Rail, and Mail? Bring it on!
And do you know what makes it especially welcome? Everything is geared to making the future brighter for the people, not "the country" as the Tories keep telling us. Ask kids in temporary accommodation, victims of DWP rule-changes or ex-squaddies in shop doorways how pleased they are with growth figures or the prospect of a trade deal with Trump. Ask the single mums how pleased they are that their zero-hours job with no rights means they are "employed". 
You know what? Fúck all this. Look around you. Surely ANYTHING has to be better than what these absolute cúnts are doing to us, our children, and generations to come. How any decent human being can look at today's Britain and not feel energised to try and fix it is beyond me. 

You should pick up his book for Verso which I think is going to set out his vision fairly comprehensively.

Decent human beings are in short supply these days in the UK. That's not a commentary on McDonnell's speech, it's a reminder of how daunting the task of rebalancing the country is.

And despite Britain currently having the most witless, inept, cruel and corrupt Government in living history, the Tories are still neck and neck with Labour in the polls. As a Scot who believes in a decent society I cannot risk wasting my vote yet again, however insular that may sound.

Decent human beings are in short supply these days in the UK. That's not a commentary on McDonnell's speech, it's a reminder of how daunting the task of rebalancing the country is.

And despite Britain currently having the most witless, inept, cruel and corrupt Government in living history, the Tories are still neck and neck with Labour in the polls. As a Scot who believes in a decent society I cannot risk wasting my vote yet again, however insular that may sound.
We have to get rid of the Tories. It's a matter of life and death - literally. I want to retire to an independent Scotland,but that will never happen with these cûnts in charge, I'm afraid - although if it does, I'll be coming back sooner rather than later.