General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Those guys are quite clearly Russian intelligence officers, nothing they’ve said makes sense, they were obviously on a recce the day before. Their story lacks any credibility, why if you’re on a holiday are you booking multiple return flights? Why in the tourist capital of the UK did they only visit one city on a weekend stay? Then there are the obvious mistakes and flaws in their reasons for returning to Salisbury the next day.
Consecutive passport numbers on their own arent too alarming but given the circumstances suggest something state led.
As for perfume bottles not being in luggage, I wouldnt expect that they brought the perfume in, simply put it in a diplomatic bag and bring it in via the embassy and do a hand off outside or leave it somewhere.
The fact images seem to be circulating of the men with Putin also rings alarms, I had no idea the most powerful man on earth would meet with guys who sell vitamins at a low level, think about how hard direct access to Putin must have been in the last ten years.
Nah the whole thing reeks of state action and anyone who doesnt see that needs to take the tin foil hat off.

I was sceptical at the start because the U.K. government was so quick to blame Russia.  Having read the reports of that interview I am now certain that this was the work of the Russian government.

I also don’t think Putin is too concerned about everyone knowing that he is behind this.

I was sceptical at the start because the U.K. government was so quick to blame Russia.  Having read the reports of that interview I am now certain that this was the work of the Russian government.
I also don’t think Putin is too concerned about everyone knowing that he is behind this.

Im pretty skeptical of anything the UK government claims, but the circumstances around this make it pretty obvious. The fact other countries (including the Putin run USA) joined in the sanctions suggests this would have been widely known in the intel community.
I dont think Putin gives a f**k, perhaps why there is only RT still pedalling the pish excuse, he’s sending a message that he can reach ‘traitors’ anywhere and that despite passage of time none of them are safe, think the message is pretty clear.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Putin still denies that Russia has any involvement with the war in eastern Ukraine. He doesn't seem like the most trustworthy guy tbh.

Miraculously he's just found documents that "prove" MH17 was shot down by the Ukranians, 4 years after. You'd have thought they could have sent a clerk down to archives a few years ago and squashed all these unseemly accusations that it was the Ruskies what did it.

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1041655038953828353

There are still things which don't add up about the full thing. Poisoning the door knob at Sunday lunch time in bad weather is bizarre. Spraying Novichock in the hotel room. Putting the bottle in a charity bin. Why Skripal? 

Litvinenko was being paid 10 grand a month by MI6 to spread rumours that Putin is a paedo and ordered the apartment bombing as a false flag. Fly with the crows..... 

Craig Murray (justifiably) hates the foreign office and MI6 so has obviously taken upon itself to play Devil's Advocate with this. He can be a bit of a chancer some times but he also does a good job highlighting MSM hypocrisies. He also completely fleeced crazy Nats to pay his legal bills so he's not daft.

Edited by Detournement

There are still things which don't add up about the full thing. Poisoning the door knob at Sunday lunch time in bad weather is bizarre.
- they could have been poisoned elsewhere and had contact with the door knob, its not conclusively confirmed where.

Spraying Novichock in the hotel room. Putting the bottle in a charity bin.
- was it not in a skip outside a charity shop? Regardless disposing of it quickly is what i’d do. They just made an error that a non british person could easily make in that they didnt realise people might raid bins near charity shops, which is pretty common here and at supermarkets.

Why Skripal? 
- a defecting intelligence officer who the russians view as a traitor, teaching UK spies about russias intell agencies, sounds like a pretty good reason. Also sends a message to all the other defectors that live around the world that no matter how long ago it was he can still get you.

Litvinenko was being paid 10 grand a month by MI6 to spread rumours that Putin is a paedo and ordered the apartment bombing as a false flag. Fly with the crows..... 
Craig Murray (justifiably) hates the foreign office and MI6 so has obviously taken upon itself to play Devil's Advocate with this. He can be a bit of a chancer some times but he also does a good job highlighting MSM hypocrisies. He also completely fleeced crazy Nats to pay his legal bills so he's not daft.

Murray appears to be an absolute psychopath who has some of the more easily led nats eating out the palm of his hand. More reasonable members of the SNP see this, especially Chris Law etc who replied to him last night.

Their movements in the morning still haven't been confirmed. The evidence will never be examined so it's unlikely to ever be cleared up.

Skripal didn't defect he was part of a prisoner swap. If he was targeted for assassination it was presumably for something he has done since then as his family have been able to come and go from Russia with no problems.

Why do you think he's a psychopath? He definitely takes advantage of the easily led but he's fairly consistent in attacking the FO and he seems to have a lot of responsibilty away from blogging.

I don't really go along with it being suspicious or interesting that the agents' story is so weak. Russian state TV used the immediate breaking of the story to remind traitors that they can be punished and the Russian embassy twitter account have been shitposting about the incident since day one. The whole thing is so blatant because that's the point.

I don't know if this has already been posted, or how accurate all the anecdotal stuff in it is, but the NY Times article about this last week offers theories on 'why Skripal'. 

A Spy Story: Sergei Skripal Was a Little Fish. He Had a Big Enemy.

If it's true that Putin publicly threatened the spies who were swapped at the time, then it should hardly be some big shock that this would happen eventually. Especially since Russia's relations with the west have fallen apart so badly since that deal.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Laughing at the idea that you have to be clever to get the mental wing of the nationalist movement to back you financially or otherwise.

Maybe not clever but he as soon as he started blogging about the Jacobites it was a sure thing that the begging bowl was about to come out.

3 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I don't really go along with it being suspicious or interesting that the agents' story is so weak. Russian state TV used the immediate breaking of the story to remind traitors that they can be punished and the Russian embassy twitter account have been shitposting about the incident since day one. The whole thing is so blatant because that's the point.

I don't know if this has already been posted, or how accurate all the anecdotal stuff in it is, but the NY Times article about this last week offers theories on 'why Skripal'. 

A Spy Story: Sergei Skripal Was a Little Fish. He Had a Big Enemy.

If it's true that Putin publicly threatened the spies who were swapped at the time, then it should hardly be some big shock that this would happen eventually. Especially since Russia's relations with the west have fallen apart so badly since that deal.

Nice to get some proper, verifiable reporting on it. Sounds to me like one of the Russian Security bosses wanted to give a present to Putin and made a shambles of it. Credible deniability went out of the window when the bumbling operatives were identified, even to Putin fan boys and his domestic audience. The Russian security services are now a laughing stock now as well, Putin must be raging.

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What part of it is verifiable?

The named sources, direct quotes and links such as this. http://www.fsb.ru/fsb/smi/overview/single.htm!_print%3Dtrue%26id%3D10342445%40fsbSmi.html

It certainly involves more investigation than Craig Murray's "They were probably gay and dealing dodgy body building  pills."

Edited by welshbairn

There is nothing there to suggest Putin has a particular grudge against Skripal other than he was asked a question about the prisoner swap and unsurprisingly wasn't a big of the people who committed treason. There are plenty of facts but none of them back up the central claim of personal animosity. The tendency to believe that Putin micromanages every single thing which happens in Russia is ridiculous.

The NYT lost any credibility it had in the run up to the Iraq War.

There is nothing there to suggest Putin has a particular grudge against Skripal other than he was asked a question about the prisoner swap and unsurprisingly wasn't a big of the people who committed treason. There are plenty of facts but none of them back up the central claim of personal animosity. The tendency to believe that Putin micromanages every single thing which happens in Russia is ridiculous.

The NYT lost any credibility it had in the run up to the Iraq War.

Any smidgeon of credibility you ever had went down the Swanee with Northern Rock.

These folk definitely haven't been hired/forced to be arseholes by the Chinese government just so they can attempt to discredit Sweden because that horrible violent terrorist the Dalai Lama visited it;

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/17/china-accuses-sweden-of-violating-human-rights-over-treatment-of-tourists

Edited by DA Baracus

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

These folk definitely haven't been hired/forced to be arseholes by the Chinese government just so they can attempt to discredit Sweden because that horrible violent terrorist the Dalai Lama visited it;

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/17/china-accuses-sweden-of-violating-human-rights-over-treatment-of-tourists

Shut up barbarian pigdog!

China criticizes Swedish police not because of Dalai Lama

The original complaint.

Edited by welshbairn

Looks like Israel just shot down a Russian fighter jet over Syria, must be raging Al Qaeda are losing.

I wonder what the spin will be here.

ETA it looks like we're going with 'Syria accidentally shot it down':rolleyes:

Edited by Jdog