General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

26 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Hopefully, after a GE, Labour and the SNP can work together in Westminster to deliver the best for Scotland. A complex issue, but where there's a will...

You mean what the SNP offered during the last two which was basically followed up by a "f**k off" from Labour? 

26 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I absolutely agree with Labour's performance in Scotland in recent years. Especially when they shared an actual (not metaphorical) platform with the Tories during the Independence campaign. Unforgivable imho.

For me, the biggest fallout from this has been, after years of taking the Scottish voters for granted, Labour decided that the SNP were the enemy, and the Scottish Party were far too slow to feel the wind of change internally, as Corbyn and his policies began to resonate with the wider electorate. I find it tragic that it will take years, if not decades, for Labour to rebuild that trust - even sadder that any resurgence of Labour in Scotland would come as a a consequence of a weakening of the SNP.

Hopefully, after a GE, Labour and the SNP can work together in Westminster to deliver the best for Scotland. A complex issue, but where there's a will...

If there is a whiff of collusion between Labour and SNP in Westminster the voters in Engand would exact revenge on Labour at the following election. But I simply don't see Labour gaining power under It's present leadership.

On 11/09/2018 at 05:48, Jdog said:

A lot of stuff on SM in recent weeks about the idlib in Syria , looks as if Assad , Russia and Iran have virtually took the country back except the often reported AQ Strong hold of Idlib.

Iran having a foothold in Syria is a redline for Israel ,so how will the US play this?... Chemical attack (again) pretend Idlib was actually just full of freedom fighters all along ?

Yes we could definitely see Assad use chemical weapons on his own people again. RT and Sputnik certainly seem to be conditioning the gullible to not believe their lying eyes by talking about "imminent false flag chemical attacks in Syria" for which they provide absolutely no evidence in the slightest.

53 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

You mean what the SNP offered during the last two which was basically followed up by a "f**k off" from Labour? 

What is said ahead of an election and what actually happens afterwards are two very different things.  It is not in Labour's electoral interests to say ahead of an election that they will work with the SNP.

53 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

If there is a whiff of collusion between Labour and SNP in Westminster the voters in Engand would exact revenge on Labour at the following election. But I simply don't see Labour gaining power under It's present leadership.

Most people, and the opinion polls, assumed May was going to win in 2017 with a very decent majority; it did not happen.  Corbyn inspired a lot of folk to vote Labour and that was at a time when his own backbench (and some frontbench) MPs where criticising him constantly.

The polls strongly suggest that much of the country has changed its view on Brexit.  If Corbyn was savy enough to argue for a Soft Brexit/Second Referendum/delay of Article 50 then Labour would definitely beat the Tories in a GE.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Corbyn was savy enough to argue for a Soft Brexit/Second Referendum/delay of Article 50 then Labour would definitely beat the Tories in a GE.

He would never actually do that though as he has been a supporter of Brexit his whole political life which is also the case of many of his closest advisers.

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

First point - that's what engendered the response Antiochas alludes to. Second point - I can see anything from a Grand Coalition to a Labour majority in the next GE - I am certain we will have a Labour PM. 

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep. 

First point - that's what engendered the response Antiochas alludes to. Second point - I can see anything from a Grand Coalition to a Labour majority in the next GE - I am certain we will have a Labour PM. 

A Grand Coalition? From whom do we get that from? 

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Would you rather have a Tory as PM?

As a fellow auld yin, can I just point out that anyone old enough to have voted in 1979 is now 57 years old. I would suggest that the overwhelming majority on here have never known anything but a Tory PM. You'd think they'd like to try something different, even if only out of curiosity.

17 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

As a fellow auld yin, can I just point out that anyone old enough to have voted in 1979 is now 57 years old. I would suggest that the overwhelming majority on here have never known anything but a Tory PM. You'd think they'd like to try something different, even if only out of curiosity.

Tony Blair was supposed to be "something different". 

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a reasonable question and one that should be quite easy to answer.

Aye you're right, because I loathe Labour it means I totally love the Tories and want one to be PM

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Labour, Plaid, SNP, Green, possibly SDLP. Basically anyone with a progressive agenda which treats people as, you know, people. 

They'd need to win a Westminster seat first...