General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s a bit harsh.  Surely we’ve all had £100k worth of holidays from foreign governments that just slip our minds.

Especially foreign governments that had carried out mass killings of an ethnic minority four years before hand...

5 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

That's the Israeli Knesset just passed an actual fucking apartheid bill through.

Now you can call me a foaming at the mouth holocaust denier if you like, but I don't think that's a very cool thing for them to do.

I await condemnation from all these fair minded Labour and Conservative Friends of Israel MPs.

Austria are considering whether to start registering Jews and Muslims.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/world-news/europe/austrian-state-may-limit-kosher-meat-sales-to-registered-jews-1.6289229?__twitter_impression=true

I've checked back through history for any previous registering of ethnic minorities by right wing goons and i don't believe that this should be anything to worry about.

4 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/world-news/europe/austrian-state-may-limit-kosher-meat-sales-to-registered-jews-1.6289229?__twitter_impression=true

I've checked back through history for any previous registering of ethnic minorities by right wing goons and i don't believe that this should be anything to worry about.

You may be right but I have thing at the back of my mind about an Austrian  who...  Never mind, probably just a false memory.

It's strange how many people on the right are suddenly so concerned about animal welfare when it comes to halal and kosher meat.

New poll coming out tonight with Labour on a five point lead, 41% Tory 36% Kippers on 7%. Don't have anymore details
Crushing disappointment for the more rabid Nats on here.....or maybe they welcome a UK Labour Govt ? I'm never quite sure on that one.

4 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
On 7/17/2018 at 22:51, John Lambies Doos said:
New poll coming out tonight with Labour on a five point lead, 41% Tory 36% Kippers on 7%. Don't have anymore details

Crushing disappointment for the more rabid Nats on here.....or maybe they welcome a UK Labour Govt ? I'm never quite sure on that one.

Not really tbh.

Corbyn is pretty much the political version of the Scotland national football team. Any chance of a glorious victory will be snatched away by his own ineptitude. I wouldn't be unhappy with a UK Labour Government at all, on the proviso that they seek to undo some of the Tory's worst "reforms" with Universal Credit/Welfare Reform being top of the list.

The thought of seeing utter c***s like Rees-Mogg and various other Tory arseholes powerless on the opposition benches would be lovely.

I just don't believe Corbyn is capable of seeing it through. The other bonus of a UK Labour Government is that barring an electoral miracle, it would have to rely on the SNP for support, which could be rather pleasing. 

All this is irrelevant, as we both know that should a snap election occur, the right-wing media will be in full Corbyn-loves-the-Ra mode, middle England will vote Tory in huge numbers, rinse/repeat etc. 

Not really tbh.
Corbyn is pretty much the political version of the Scotland national football team. Any chance of a glorious victory will be snatched away by his own ineptitude. I wouldn't be unhappy with a UK Labour Government at all, on the proviso that they seek to undo some of the Tory's worst "reforms" with Universal Credit/Welfare Reform being top of the list.
The thought of seeing utter c***s like Rees-Mogg and various other Tory arseholes powerless on the opposition benches would be lovely.
I just don't believe Corbyn is capable of seeing it through. The other bonus of a UK Labour Government is that barring an electoral miracle, it would have to rely on the SNP for support, which could be rather pleasing. 
All this is irrelevant, as we both know that should a snap election occur, the right-wing media will be in full Corbyn-loves-the-Ra mode, middle England will vote Tory in huge numbers, rinse/repeat etc. 

I know a Labour victory of any kind will be against a barrage of media slander but maybe people actually have become a bit more immune to that. I would embrace a Corbyn Govt propped up by some unholy alliance just for the shocked faces of those who assume it's their right to call the shots having to grin and bare it. Oddly it would parallel Brexit in the "wrong decision" being made by an "uneducated" populace not doing as they are told.

8 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:
Terrible bait from yoondave again.
Must try harder.

Jupe found it tasty so job done.

You probably shouldn't complain about people pigeonholing you as a troll in that case :lol: In any case, I'm moving house so any procrastination prior to packing and moving shitloads of boxes is a worthwhile exercise imo.

1 minute ago, Loondave1 said:
11 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
Not really tbh.

I know a Labour victory of any kind will be against a barrage of media slander but maybe people actually have become a bit more immune to that. I would embrace a Corbyn Govt propped up by some unholy alliance just for the shocked faces of those who assume it's their right to call the shots having to grin and bare it. Oddly it would parallel Brexit in the "wrong decision" being made by an "uneducated" populace not doing as they are told.

Labour are in quite a tricky position here. They are highly unlikely to manage an outright majority, and given the irrelevance of the Lib Dems, they'd almost certainly need to have some sort of arrangement with the SNP. This of course allows the media to inform middle England that "that Sturgeon will be running Westminster" or similar bullshit, which will doubtless turn a lot of undecideds back to the Tories. The SNP are basically trolling Labour without even trying. 

Labour are in quite a tricky position here. They are highly unlikely to manage an outright majority, and given the irrelevance of the Lib Dems, they'd almost certainly need to have some sort of arrangement with the SNP. This of course allows the media to inform middle England that "that Sturgeon will be running Westminster" or similar bullshit, which will doubtless turn a lot of undecideds back to the Tories. The SNP are basically trolling Labour without even trying. 
Quite happy to be propped up if that's how it pans out to be honest. Delighted in fact. The SNP "bogeyman" factor didn't quite gain the traction last GE as it appeared to when Nicola offered to "help" Ed Milliband. If as the polling suggests disaffected Tory voters are returning to UKIP I'm all for that as well as the numbers will probably be enough to damage Tory candidates but too small to return UKIP MPs. Again win win scenario in my book.