General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

It would appear John Mason is at it again, and has told a disabled Celtic Supporter who’s concerned about making it to parkhead with parking bans etc. To go and support another team.

I have absolutely no idea why John Mason is still an MSP.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Bercow apparently called Andrea Leadsom a "stupid woman".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/17/john-bercow-accused-of-making-stupid-woman-remark-to-andrea-leadsom

Neither of those words are inaccurate, are they?

Thankfully the BBC’s own Kate Andrews is giving her tuppenceworth on this issue. They just don’t pay her enough. 

What about making healthy food cheaper then to cancel it out? It’s a total pain in the arse.

And schools had tonnes of stuff when I was there, posters etc, but not once did we ever have a class where we were taught about calories or what is and isn’t healthy.

How are Jamie Oliver’s campaigns spot on?

How do you propose they make healthy food cheaper?

Government's don't sell food.

It's much easier to introduce legislation to raise prices in certain ways than it is to lower them.

Let’s make all food so expensive nobody can afford to eat and we’ll all be thin.
Then dead.
(healthy food does not need to be expensive. Educating folk on how to cook healthy food is a far better use of resources)
But there is an awful lot of education out there.

Horse to water and all that.

But there is an awful lot of education out there.

Horse to water and all that.

It’s all well and good saying it’s out there but how is it targeted towards the people who need it? I’m genuinely interested as it’s not something I’m familiar with. I’m still interested as to how people that work multiple jobs or long hours, an increasing feature of late capitalism, are able to devote the necessary time to preparing healthier food. I’m lucky in that I have someone who helps me prepare my lunch for work but I would struggle on my own initiative to make food around 11pm at night for a shift I’m starting at 9 the next day.

It’s all well and good saying it’s out there but how is it targeted towards the people who need it? I’m genuinely interested as it’s not something I’m familiar with. I’m still interested as to how people that work multiple jobs or long hours, an increasing feature of late capitalism, are able to devote the necessary time to preparing healthier food. I’m lucky in that I have someone who helps me prepare my lunch for work but I would struggle on my own initiative to make food around 11pm at night for a shift I’m starting at 9 the next day.

Make it at the weekend then freeze it?

Apart from that, the likes of stir fry and noodles are fairly quick.

Make it at the weekend then freeze it?

Apart from that, the likes of stir fry and noodles are fairly quick.

I work weekends as well my shifts are fairly flexible. That’s a fair shout though, I’ve recently moved down to a 4 day week.

I used to have more stir fries and noodles as well so should get back into that habit.

Literal creationist John Mason has sparked twitter outrage. A constituent tweeted at Celtic urging them to improve their parking for disabled fans, tagging his local MSP Mason in the tweet. Mason’s helpful suggestion was that the man support a different team instead.

As good as the SNP generally have been for Scotland, the Glasgow East branch does seem to attract its fair share of zoomer politicians.

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Literal creationist John Mason has sparked twitter outrage. A constituent tweeted at Celtic urging them to improve their parking for disabled fans, tagging his local MSP Mason in the tweet. Mason’s helpful suggestion was that the man support a different team instead.

As good as the SNP generally have been for Scotland, the Glasgow East branch does seem to attract its fair share of zoomer politicians.

I just see that as harmless joke from a Clyde fan in a private email.  As an MSP he should have anticipated the reaction though.

image.png.219cc57f5e5630a819c53fa6fd43c12b.png

On 5/16/2018 at 22:07, Gaz said:

I personally teach pupils whose parents will often get their kids a Happy Meal for dinner as it has no preparation time, and therefore they can work an extra half-hour / hour and get more wages.

Wages that they then spend on buying overpriced, processed shite to feed their children. A solid logic fail all round then. 

Last time I checked the UK is still a country that has both i) enforced minimum wage legislation and ii) maximum hours of working as enshrined in EU directives. Life's not exactly going to be a picnic if you're at the bottom end of that pay scale and the top end of the weekly hours worked, but the idea that people don't have the time at any point in the week to prepare basic meals  with the most obviously economical (and almost always healthier) ingredients is nonsense.  I don't see how any sort of public education project can work when the problem boils down to laziness and a preference for convenience products rather than a genuine lack of information.  

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Wages that they then spend on buying overpriced, processed shite to feed their children. A solid logic fail all round then. 

Last time I checked the UK is still a country that has both i) enforced minimum wage legislation and ii) maximum hours of working as enshrined in EU directives. Life's not exactly going to be a picnic if you're at the bottom end of that pay scale and the top end of the weekly hours worked, but the idea that people don't have the time at any point in the week to prepare basic meals  with the most obviously economical (and almost always healthier) ingredients is nonsense.  I don't see how any sort of public education project can work when the problem boils down to laziness and a preference for convenience products rather than a genuine lack of information.  

^^^Mum cooks his meals.

Oaksoft would be proud of you

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I just see that as harmless joke from a Clyde fan in a private email.  As an MSP he should have anticipated the reaction though.

image.png.219cc57f5e5630a819c53fa6fd43c12b.png

Mason is an arsehole.  Don’t be an apologist for him.