General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I really don't know how to react to people who think the only reason people are angry about the leader of the fucking Labour Party being embroiled in an anti-Semitism scandal is because it's an excuse to put pressure on him. Corbyn's actions are not good enough, his apology was not good enough, his record on this is not good enough and it hurts. It implies a lack of commitment to fighting anti-Semitism. You can't pick or choose which forms of prejudice you oppose if you are going to be the Labour leader. You can't have a grey area on this.

This is the situation we are in: That mural is widely offensive to Jews. It is antisemitic. Jeremy Corbyn posted, in a Facebook group with antisemites, disagreement at the mural being removed. Why would that not cause anger from Labour members and supporters, particularly Jewish ones? Whatever their opinions about Israel or Jeremy Corbyn are do not matter. Why is there so much focus on them? Why not focus on the person who did wrong here, rather than effectively victim blame? That allies of Corbyn aren't criticising him over this says a hell of a lot more about them than it does us. People are justifiably pissed off about this and it's quite incredible that their motives are being questioned so much considering how blatantly obvious it is why people are pissed off.
I'm not an ally of corbyn, and certainly not a member of the labour party - but this issue pisses me off greatly.

Your opening sentence sums up the issue: "being embroiled in an anti-semitism scandal".

Who decides when a mistake becomes a bigger issue, and who decides when an issue becomes a full blown scandal?

I'm looking at the background of corbyn and there's absolutely nothing there to suggest to me he is bigoted in any way. Not even close.

He clearly made a mistake with the post about the mural and a full apology for that mistake was important. But arms and legs are being added by his opponents within the labour party who are seeing a chance to strike.

I've got no skin in the game but my take on it is that there are 'pockets' of anti-semitism, rather than a wholesale problem.

Nothing I've read comes close to the few clear examples of racism that anas sarwar faced recently. I absolutely hate sarwar's politics but the comments made about him and his wife were shocking. Again though, I don't think it's a widespread problem - and more the case of a few racist dicks needing dealt with.

Right, so now we have the recently elected head of the internal disputes panel of the Labour Party, Christine Shawcroft resigning. She sent an email on SUNDAY opposing the suspension of a Labour candidate who denied the holocaust. She claimed that the candidate was victim of a ‘partisan dispute’ rather than antisemitism.

The Times say her email was sent to 10 recipients, including Jon Lansman and Jennie Formby. It’s taken until tonight for her to stand down, and only after being exposed by The Times.

Some people need to wake up.

37 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Right, so now we have the recently elected head of the internal disputes panel of the Labour Party, Christine Shawcroft resigning. She sent an email on SUNDAY opposing the suspension of a Labour candidate who denied the holocaust. She claimed that the candidate was victim of a ‘partisan dispute’ rather than antisemitism.

The Times say her email was sent to 10 recipients, including Jon Lansman and Jennie Formby. It’s taken until tonight for her to stand down, and only after being exposed by The Times.

Some people need to wake up.

Anyone who denies the holocaust is an anti-Semite IMO.  Anyone who tries to protect or support a person expressing such blatant anti-Semitism leaves themselves in a vulnerable position and should be disciplined accordingly.

Those are individual examples of anti-Semitism inthe Labour Party and I can’t recall anyone on here denying that there are such examples.

I would be in favour of politicians who hold uncritical views of Israel to be held to account.  The Israeli apartheid regime is vile yet there are many Labour MPs who openly support it. 

6 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Conspiracy theory is a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals

Ha, true but chemtrails are there to dumb the sheeple down. That's why I wear a tinfoil hat and remove all my fillings at night before I go to bed.

I see the Maybot is today going to visit Scotland to explain to the natives how  being outvoted by the more important nation to the south, in a matter that will negatively affect us against our wishes, will strengthen this precious precious partnership of equals.

The head of the Labour Party’s internal disputes panel has resigned after an email she sent defending a party member accused of anti-Semitism leaked.

Here is the leaked email

IMG_0537.jpg

And here is the Facebook post she refers to

IMG_0538.jpg

Her defence is that, like Corbyn and the mural, she didn’t look to see what the image was.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The head of the Labour Party’s internal disputes panel has resigned after an email she sent defending a party member accused of anti-Semitism leaked.

Here is the leaked email

IMG_0537.jpg

And here is the Facebook post she refers to

IMG_0538.jpg

Her defence is that, like Corbyn and the mural, she didn’t look to see what the image was.

I wonder if anything is being done to track down the 53 idiots who love this Facebook post. 

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of time.

Unless of course someone, probably a Jewish Illuminati Mason or something is doing it at this very moment. 

Fnord

I really don't know how to react to people who think the only reason people are angry about the leader of the fucking Labour Party being embroiled in an anti-Semitism scandal is because it's an excuse to put pressure on him. Corbyn's actions are not good enough, his apology was not good enough, his record on this is not good enough and it hurts. It implies a lack of commitment to fighting anti-Semitism. You can't pick or choose which forms of prejudice you oppose if you are going to be the Labour leader. You can't have a grey area on this.

This is the situation we are in: That mural is widely offensive to Jews. It is antisemitic. Jeremy Corbyn posted, in a Facebook group with antisemites, disagreement at the mural being removed. Why would that not cause anger from Labour members and supporters, particularly Jewish ones? Whatever their opinions about Israel or Jeremy Corbyn are do not matter. Why is there so much focus on them? Why not focus on the person who did wrong here, rather than effectively victim blame? That allies of Corbyn aren't criticising him over this says a hell of a lot more about them than it does us. People are justifiably pissed off about this and it's quite incredible that their motives are being questioned so much considering how blatantly obvious it is why people are pissed off.
Was Blairs record good enough?