General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

15 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

DYng4-NW0AAOK7B.jpg

What do you think?

Can I say anything more about the substance of the conversation? X talked explicitly and unambiguously about how criticisms of Corbyn that the BBC could not voice were deliberately coded into imagery. X did not say that this was a general policy of the BBC or that there was some institutional directive to ‘smear’ Jeremy Corbyn. X clearly understood that X’s comments were sensitive for the BBC (see 3. above). [Note: my understanding of the BBC’s news/current affairs/politics output is that it is relatively heterodox.]

https://waitingfortax.com/2018/03/19/the-bbc-and-jeremy-corbyn/

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Zing. I'm sure your worry over your inability to slag off Muslims is of more concern than the restricting of their civil rights, the spread of programs like Prevent and their targeting by Islamophobic hate groups like the EDL and Britain First.

Just for clarity I will quote my own post below.  This shows that none of your remarks have any relevance to what I posted and just how cretinous these remarks are.

I will let you have the last word as I will not engage with an idiot like yourself on this or any future topic.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The remarks were stupid and shocking and he should have known better.  He will hopefully be disciplined for them.

I am a wee bit concerned that there is a wider view that Islamaphobia and racism are the same thing; they are not.

Intrigued to hear why you’re so concerned that people might equate Islamaphobia with racism given how both are deployed in modern society unless you’re just continuing with this dullard atheist concern trolling over Muslims apparently being given a free pass from abuse.

7 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

C4 News tonight undercover on Cambridge Analytica. Dear me. Probably won't hear too much about it outside C4 News, though. As usual.

Massive story, mainly developed by the Guardian with cooperation of C4 and NYT. It will be front page everywhere tomorrow. Tantamount to saying Brexit and the US election were rigged by targeting fake news using stolen personal data.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Massive story, mainly developed by the Guardian with cooperation of C4 and NYT. It will be front page everywhere tomorrow. Tantamount to saying Brexit and the US election were rigged by targeting fake news using stolen personal data.

Saturday Night Takeaway isn't on this weekend because Ant or Dec crashed his car, though.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nah that's a conspiracy theory no government would ever lie.  Are you well stocked for tinfoil?

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/11/news/dup-s-brexit-campaign-spent-33-000-on-social-media-micro-targeting-firm-1023022/

The key to understanding how a motivated and determined billionaire could bypass ourelectoral laws rests on AggregateIQ, an obscure web analytics company based in an office above a shop in Victoria, British Columbia.

It was with AggregateIQ that Vote Leave (the official Leave campaign) chose to spend £3.9m, more than half its official £7m campaign budget. As did three other affiliated Leave campaigns: BeLeave, Veterans for Britain and the Democratic Unionist party, spending a further £757,750. “Coordination” between campaigns is prohibited under UK electoral law, unless campaign expenditure is declared, jointly. It wasn’t. Vote Leave says the Electoral Commission “looked into this” and gave it “a clean bill of health”.

How did an obscure Canadian company come to play such a pivotal role in Brexit? It’s a question that Martin Moore, director of the centre for the study of communication, media and power at King’s College London has been asking too. “I went through all the Leave campaign invoices when the Electoral Commission uploaded them to its site in February. And I kept on discovering all these huge amounts going to a company that not only had I never heard of, but that there was practically nothing at all about on the internet. More money was spent with AggregateIQ than with any other company in any other campaign in the entire referendum. All I found, at that time, was a one-page website and that was it. It was an absolute mystery.”

Moore contributed to an LSE report published in April that concluded UK’s electoral laws were “weak and helpless” in the face of new forms of digital campaigning. Offshore companies, money poured into databases, unfettered third parties… the caps on spending had come off. The laws that had always underpinned Britain’s electoral laws were no longer fit for purpose. Laws, the report said, that needed “urgently reviewing by parliament”.

AggregateIQ holds the key to unravelling another complicated network of influence that Mercer has created. A source emailed me to say he had found that AggregateIQ’s address and telephone number corresponded to a company listed on Cambridge Analytica’s website as its overseas office: “SCL Canada”. A day later, that online reference vanished.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

https://twitter.com/CamAnalytica/status/975487675670003714

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

AggregateIQ holds the key to unravelling another complicated network of influence that Mercer has created. A source emailed me to say he had found that AggregateIQ’s address and telephone number corresponded to a company listed on Cambridge Analytica’s website as its overseas office: “SCL Canada”. A day later, that online reference vanished.

I see no connection to the top men in Cambridge Analytica discussing how to remove any links to them by setting up third party companies to that quote whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Really don’t think the average Brexit voter is going to give a single shit about this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Democracy simply doesn't work.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Doubly so. On the one hand a referendum about something as complex as the EU is fucking stupid. On the other, Remainers have literally zero idea or willingness to understand why people are pissed off enough at them to vote for something like Brexit and trying to overturn it by “proving” it happened via shenanigans is proof positive of that.

6 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I see no connection to the top men in Cambridge Analytica discussing how to remove any links to them by setting up third party companies to that quote whatsoever.

It was clearly stated by them on C4 News how they set up companies to avoid being linked.

What's the alternative? Putin style?