General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

His willingness to appear on Putin's propaganda channel is.

I disagree. It's a news channel like any other, licensed and regulated by Ofcom like any other. What makes you think it's different from Al-Jazeera or BBC News or Sky News?

I disagree. It's a news channel like any other, licensed and regulated by Ofcom like any other. What makes you think it's different from Al-Jazeera or BBC News or Sky News?

RT promotes a very Putin centric view of the world. If you've ever watched it you will see how it's different from the BBC or Sky News. I'm not an SNP member but if I was I would be very pissed off at Salmond right now. Sturgeon has done a very good job in the wake of the Salisbury attack whilst Salmond is happy to take the Kremlin coin and promote a channel which exists solely to present Putin positively. I'm certainly not saying Salmond should be forced not to do it, but any criticism levelled at him is perfectly legitimate, much of it coming from SNP politicians who will always have a debt to Salmond for all he did for the part and movement, but who has become a bit of an embarrassment for a party who have done a very good job under Sturgeon.

13 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

RT promotes a very Putin centric view of the world. If you've ever watched it you will see how it's different from the BBC or Sky News. I'm not an SNP member but if I was I would be very pissed off at Salmond right now. Sturgeon has done a very good job in the wake of the Salisbury attack whilst Salmond is happy to take the Kremlin coin and promote a channel which exists solely to present Putin positively. I'm certainly not saying Salmond should be forced not to do it, but any criticism levelled at him is perfectly legitimate, much of it coming from SNP politicians who will always have a debt to Salmond for all he did for the part and movement, but who has become a bit of an embarrassment for a party who have done a very good job under Sturgeon.

Pish.  Salmond's programme is independently produced with an independent editorial team and without interference from RT management, often taking an anti-Putin stance (as when Salmond dedicated a show to LGBT issues in Russia, for instance).  You're parroting the unionist line promoted by those well-known paragons of free and entirely neutral speech at BBC Scotland, The Daily Telegraph, Mail and Herald.

Pish.  Salmond's programme is independently produced with an independent editorial team and without interference from RT management, often taking an anti-Putin stance (as when Salmond dedicated a show to LGBT issues in Russia, for instance).  You're parroting the unionist line promoted by those well-known paragons of free and entirely neutral speech at BBC Scotland, The Daily Telegraph, Mail and Herald.

That's not the point. It still features pro-Putin propaganda plastered along the screen and RT uses people like Salmond to give legitimacy to the channel and by extension Putin. The viewership is very low on the channel because the aim is to have clips which can be easily shown and shared on social media which is how it gets its message across. This isn't a unionist vs nationalist thing, Salmond's involvement with RT has been criticised by many in the SNP including Nicola Sturgeon and Ian Blackford.

His willingness to appear on Putin's propaganda channel is.

Wow, just wow.... I am stunned that a supposedly politically switched on person is actually posting that comment. Get your red/blue tory blinkers off and see what is really happening in our precious union now.

Tory bot on Daily Politics: “no country would allow itself to become subject to a foreign jurisdiction”.
Except Scotland, obviously. And he thinks it worked out wonderfully.

And once more the voice of the lunatic foaming brexiteers Bernard Jenkin is given the daily politics platform to spout his pish.

I’m neither right or left. I’m a centrist. Both sides have some decent points of view and some awful ones.

Call me cynical but Dempster was only fired because he was caught being racist. He wasn’t fired for being a racist.
He should have stuck to the party line and called Alex Salmond’s wife fat and barren and kept the racist slurs to his own house.

The remarks were stupid and shocking and he should have known better.  He will hopefully be disciplined for them.
I am a wee bit concerned that there is a wider view that Islamaphobia and racism are the same thing; they are not.

Hard to work out who’s managed to make a more pointless post here.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

That's not the point. It still features pro-Putin propaganda plastered along the screen

I doubt you've watched RT longer than the time it takes to change the channel so I'm curious as to how you know this.

This isn't a unionist vs nationalist thing, Salmond's involvement with RT has been criticised by many in the SNP including Nicola Sturgeon and Ian Blackford.

So?  Salmond isn't a politician, he can do what he likes so long as it's legal.  All you're doing is repeating the line spread by our domestic media's propaganda.

Case in point:

The propaganda:  Blackford condemns SalmondDYphUI3WAAAbJGx.jpg

The actuality:  No he doesn't.

Edited by Baxter Parp

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s you.  HTH.

Zing. I'm sure your worry over your inability to slag off Muslims is of more concern than the restricting of their civil rights, the spread of programs like Prevent and their targeting by Islamophobic hate groups like the EDL and Britain First.

So?  Salmond isn't a politician, he can do what he likes so long as it's legal.  All you're doing is repeating the line spread by our domestic media's propaganda.
Case in point:
The propaganda:  Blackford condemns SalmondDYphUI3WAAAbJGx.jpg
The actuality:  No he doesn't.

I've watched RT (out of curiosity) before. I won't be doing so again. Being a private citizen doesn't make them immune to criticism. And he's the former First Minister so he's hardly just any ordinary citizen, if he were you wouldn't bother defending him.

7 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I've watched RT (out of curiosity) before. I won't be doing so again. Being a private citizen doesn't make them immune to criticism. And he's the former First Minister so he's hardly just any ordinary citizen, if he were you wouldn't bother defending him.

I was comparing the outrageous behaviour of the Tories with the manufactured outrage over Slamond's show, actually.  That we've ended up discussing Salmond rather than this utter disgrace:

proves my point, I think.

That's not the point. It still features pro-Putin propaganda plastered along the screen and RT uses people like Salmond to give legitimacy to the channel and by extension Putin. The viewership is very low on the channel because the aim is to have clips which can be easily shown and shared on social media which is how it gets its message across. This isn't a unionist vs nationalist thing, Salmond's involvement with RT has been criticised by many in the SNP including Nicola Sturgeon and Ian Blackford.

Swap out 'Putin' for any number of high ranking Tories and you've just described BBC News.