General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What have Japan being playing at? Is Tokyo made out of diamonds, now?

An economy that has been pretty weak since the early 1990s.  IIRC, they've tried to kickstart the economy by running at a deficit since then.

DN5lRtYWAAEJifG.jpg
Everybody seems to owe everybody else a shitload of money.

I know pretty much feck all about how all this debt works as I'm about to demonstrate with my following question.

Hypothetically, if the political will was there globally would it be possible to push the reset button on all this world debt? I understand that it wouldn't be easy (bit of an understatement) but let's face it, this money doesn't actually exist. Certainly not in hard currency anyway.

And even if we could would it be a good idea to do so? Or would we be creating more problems for the future?

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:

I know pretty much feck all about how all this debt works as I'm about to demonstrate with my following question.

Hypothetically, if the political will was there globally would it be possible to push the reset button on all this world debt? I understand that it wouldn't be easy (bit of an understatement) but let's face it, this money doesn't actually exist. Certainly not in hard currency anyway.

And even if we could would it be a good idea to do so? Or would we be creating more problems for the future?

I'm certainly no expert but if countries default once why trust them again?

The whole world economy may be a house of cards but whilst folk are willing to believe in its stability it can continue; remove the illusion and the whole thing is fucked.

1 hour ago, MuckleMoo said:

A lot of pensions money is tied up in government debts as they tend to be pretty safe. Also  banks use it as capital to lend against, though the rules are trying to be changed, that would mean it would create a huge credit crunch. 

1 hour ago, MuckleMoo said:

A problem I could see (also very limited in my understanding, admittedly!) is that it would be too punitive against countries with lower/more sustainable debt levels and too favourable to those who are up shit creek.

Good luck Australia 
#Yes

7.82m YES (61.6%)
4.87m NO (38.4%)
79.5% participation rate.

Now after spending shit loads on it they have to see if there are enough dinky-die Aussie parliamentarions to get a Bill that will be passed by both houses.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/how-australia-voted-on-samesex-marriage/news-story/856052cb744b25f734d04c1714e202e7

11 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Bit annoying. I suppose it will impact on supermarket deals as well.

My understanding is that the companies do not have to pay any more tax or duty, so things like “meal deals” with wine would not be affected; just ‘discount’ the food more.

We might see more of this actually.  “Snack deal - packet of peanuts and bottle of Smirnoff for £12”

Don't know what you drink but £14 for a bottle of Whisky is dirt cheap!

I rarely spend that little on whisky but for gin and tonic I tend to just get Tesco's own gin as I'm diluting it anyway. It will only add a couple of quid so isn't a huge issue, minor gripe really.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My understanding is that the companies do not have to pay any more tax or duty, so things like “meal deals” with wine would not be affected; just ‘discount’ the food more.

We might see more of this actually.  “Snack deal - packet of peanuts and bottle of Smirnoff for £12”

Couldn't do it- the Smirnoff would still need to be sold at 50p a unit.