General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

The SNP benches sitting on their hands is total cringe for them 

Actually had to put something out telling them all not to join in on the applause. Childish

Is applause in the house acceptable when one of the worst PMs in history stands aside?
It definitely wasn't acceptable when the pesky jock MPs first went down there.

40 minutes ago, mjw said:

Double standards I thought, but if you want to go with conspiracy

You know fine well the difference between the two bouts of applause. 

Furthermore, were they not clapping cause they didn't think they were allowed or just being petty and ignorant about the departing PM?

Edited by orlandoblue

You know fine well the difference between the two bouts of applause. 

Furthermore, were they not clapping cause they didn't think they were allowed or just being petty and ignorant about the departing PM?

Petty and ignorant hopefully.

I'm sure every disabled and mental health patient who have been told they are fit to work found it petty.
Probably every benefits claimant who has been sanctioned for being late for an appointment agrees it's petty as well.

Won't they?

45 minutes ago, mjw said:

Petty and ignorant hopefully.

I'm sure every disabled and mental health patient who have been told they are fit to work found it petty.
Probably every benefits claimant who has been sanctioned for being late for an appointment agrees it's petty as well.

Won't they?

Dear lord! :lol:

Look back to when Blair left. Full standing ovation in the house. Regardless of what you think of him he's elected to do the job in a democracy and I think people were just paying their respects with regards to him doing his job regardless of their politics.  

A matter of common human courtesy which the SNP by ignoring just look childish. The fact that they all appeared to sit on their hands would indicate to me there was some sort of communication sent out telling them to do that. Utterly bizarre. 

He wasn't going out in a blaze of glory though.
He's had to stand down after losing the most important vote (for some ) in this countries history.

The c**t should have been smuggled out the back door.

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Orlandoblue.
I'm an SNP fanboy & I had hoped that such a large delegation of SNP MPs would have changed the childish buffoonery that prevails in Westminster.
I don't like Cameron, the only policy I can think of off the top of my head that we remotely agree on is same sex marriage. However, I would have applauded.
Firstly, it's polite. Secondly, it does make the SNP look childish.

He's had to stand down after losing the most important vote (for some ) in this countries history.

Sorry MJW, I agree with you on most things, but is your Middle paragraph not exactly what happened to Salmond?
And there's NO way he should have been smuggled out the back door.

22 minutes ago, orlandoblue said:

Dear lord! :lol:

Look back to when Blair left. Full standing ovation in the house. Regardless of what you think of him he's elected to do the job in a democracy and I think people were just paying their respects with regards to him doing his job regardless of their politics.  

A matter of common human courtesy which the SNP by ignoring just look childish. The fact that they all appeared to sit on their hands would indicate to me there was some sort of communication sent out telling them to do that. Utterly bizarre. 

Human courtesy my arse.  I'm sure a subservient twat like you would have applauded, I'm glad our elected representatives had more principles.

6 minutes ago, Mortar Bored said:

I'm an SNP fanboy & I had hoped that such a large delegation of SNP MPs would have changed the childish buffoonery that prevails in Westminster.
I don't like Cameron, the only policy I can think of off the top of my head that we remotely agree on is same sex marriage. However, I would have applauded.

I agree with you to a point, but they should surely just have jeered in the traditional commons manner rather than partake in the clapping that the SNP were reprimanded on when supporting their own commons leader.

The convention that we don't clap in this chamber is very, very, very long established and widely respected and it would be appreciated if members would show some respect for that convention...I invite them to show some respect for the traditions of this chamber of the House of Commons.

17 minutes ago, mjw said:

I'm not saying he was or wasn't going out in a blaze of glory. Obviously his own party are reflecting on his overall achievements and gave him the reception they believe he was due. The labour and lib dem benches showed their respect for him as a departing Prime Minister and the sacrifices he's made to do that. 

Look at the contrast between Corbyn and the SNP. 

There's probably no one in there disagrees with him more than Corbyn and he's been relentlessly slates by Cameron and his party and yet he's wise enough to notice the sense of occasion and act accordingly. I'm not saying the SNP should have been gushing over him but to do what they did is just odd. 

Alex Salmond rightly received applause from everyone in Holyrood after his final speech. 

Robertsons EU questions were appalling today too. 

15 minutes ago, Mortar Bored said:

We'd agree on a lot more things I'm sure. 

Sadly the labels attached on here in recent history to "Sevco" fans or no voters mean it's largely a waste of time visiting :lol:

20 minutes ago, Mortar Bored said:

Out of interest, what would your reasons for applause have been? What exactly makes it "polite"?

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It's like when the biggest arsehole at your work leaves and they hand round a card for you to write something.

What do you write - "All the best for the future" or "f**k off ya w**k. I hate ye".

"I was the one that got you sacked."