General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

With over 80% of the vote counted, it seems pretty much 50/50 in Austria between the far right candidate and an independent with the support of the Green Party. Could go down to the postal votes which are being counted tomorrow.

First time in decades that neither of the two major centrist parties made the run-off.

Hofer: 51.9% (1,937,863)

Van der Bellen: 48.1% (1,793,857)

Far right candidate has the lead at the moment. Nearly 900,000 postal votes to be counted tomorrow though apparently. Still might be too big a gap to close.

I'm pretty sure the rules state that he can't claim mortgage payments, so he has to stay in a hotel. He will no doubt rent the flat out, probably to someone like Mhairi Black or someone else within the party.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm sure he would rather stay in his house, but that's the rules.

I'm pretty sure the rules state that he can't claim mortgage payments, so he has to stay in a hotel. He will no doubt rent the flat out, probably to someone like Mhairi Black or someone else within the party.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm sure he would rather stay in his house, but that's the rules.

Yup, after the scandal expenses now only cover rent or hotels.

What's stopping him from staying in his flat?

Edited by Granny Danger

Hofer: 51.9% (1,937,863)

Van der Bellen: 48.1% (1,793,857)

Far right candidate has the lead at the moment. Nearly 900,000 postal votes to be counted tomorrow though apparently. Still might be too big a gap to close.

I'm sure there was a previous Austrian politician who was a bit right wing. I'm sure his name started with an 'H'.

What's stopping him from staying in his flat?

l

He's not allowed according to the rules, he's down on record as saying it's completely daft, he has a flat and he wants to stay in it but after the expense scandal, that's that. He bought it to stay in while you still could claim mortgage payments, it's not as if he could just nip home when he wanted to, so it made sense at the time to buy.

Of course, he could stay in it and just pay the mortgage, but even I would consider it daft if I was no longer getting support for that and free hotel accommodation.

Always knew Hosie would step down from Deputy Leader. Politically it will have little if any impact. People like Humza and Mhairi Black are more known to the public and have wider profiles.

Angus Robertson would surely be the most sensible choice to replace Hosie, if he seeks nomination. Strong performer in the Commons, experienced campaigner, sound strategist, and generally good with the media. I was hugely impressed by his recent appearance on Matt Forde's 'Political Party' podcast (link for anybody interested: https://soundcloud.com/thepoliticalparty/show-34-angus-robertson).

I imagine Humza Yousaf and Mhairi Black, to name two, will get their time - but that time isn't just yet. 

I don't think Mhairi Black should be burdened with a job like that when she's only just become an MP. I see big things in her future, but it almost wouldn't be fair to put the deputy leadership on her at this early stage in her career. It would smack of exploiting her popularity.