General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

All this pish faux concern about ooooh we need an effective opposition its good for democracy is utter hogwash.

The lack of a decent opposition can be extremely damaging over the course of a few decades, not five years. Indeed its good for a party to have the chance to enact legislation and govern without hindrance in the short term (unless you disagree with their aims).

The lack of an effective opposition at Holyrood is not a problem in the slightest any time in the next thirty years. we have a media the entirety of whom seem to think their full-time job and duty is to 'hold the SNP to account' (read slander the SNP and hysterically oppose everything they do) so its not an issue at all.

It just makes stupid people feel clever to say so.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

People with an interest in politics. People who understand that he's the leader of the opposition in the UK Parliament.

And it's a Parliament that you and I want out of.

If the referendum had went our way we would now be looking over Hadrian's wall, eating popcorn and watching the antics in Westminster as a neutral observer.

There is nothing wrong in having an interest in politics but tell me what you or I or anyone else in Scotland can do about Jeremy Corbyn.

Do you want us all to vote for his party?

The Scottish Labour party (at least for the moment) is on it's knees.

What can we do to ensure that Jeremy gets a fair crack of the whip down in England?

Anyone who thinks that an effective Opposition is in the interests of democracy and competent government. That applies to Holyrood too. All Governments must be held to account for their actions.

and I see nothing wrong with that.

Opposition is in the interests of democracy and competent government.

In a free and democratic Scotland yes but no so much for a government with one hand tied behind it's back.

If the referendum had went our way we would now be looking over Hadrian's wall, eating popcorn and watching the antics in Westminster as a neutral observer.

There is nothing wrong in having an interest in politics but tell me what you or I or anyone else in Scotland can do about Jeremy Corbyn.

What can we do to ensure that Jeremy gets a fair crack of the whip down in England?

and I see nothing wrong with that.

Opposition is in the interests of democracy and competent government.

In a free and democratic Scotland yes but no so much for a government with one hand tied behind it's back.

I am able to differentiate between the way I want things to be and the way things are.

I would like a strong opposition in Westminster because we are still part of the U.K. whether I like it or not. The group of SNP MPs is part of that opposition but Labour is the main opposition party.

All this pish faux concern about ooooh we need an effective opposition its good for democracy is utter hogwash.

The lack of a decent opposition can be extremely damaging over the course of a few decades, not five years. Indeed its good for a party to have the chance to enact legislation and govern without hindrance in the short term (unless you disagree with their aims).

The lack of an effective opposition at Holyrood is not a problem in the slightest any time in the next thirty years. we have a media the entirety of whom seem to think their full-time job and duty is to 'hold the SNP to account' (read slander the SNP and hysterically oppose everything they do) so its not an issue at all.

It just makes stupid people feel clever to say so.

Government's can do a lot of damage in five or ten years. Effective Opposition is not just voting against the Government in Parliament. It means mobilising opposition by forming a coalition with stakeholders, pressure groups and other organisations including opinion formers in the the media.

Thanks for confirming that you are an authoritarian cretin who thinks that the SNP Government should not be held to account for its actions. You are not clever when you regard legitimate criticism as slander. It's the same mindless arrogance that we had endure with New Labour and the Brownies who thought that they had a right to perpetual power.

I am able to differentiate between the way I want things to be and the way things are.

I would like a strong opposition in Westminster because we are still part of the U.K. whether I like it or not. The group of SNP MPs is part of that opposition but Labour is the main opposition party.

Ye auld goat! You have the cheek tae say that I dinnae answer your questions yet I ask

and all you can give is a wishy-washy reply 'I would like a strong opposition'.

We've done our bit regarding the opposition.

What else can we do?

From today's PMQs

Ben Bradshaw: With the United Kingdom facing our most momentous decision in a generation in eight weeks time, does the Prime Minister think it makes more sense for all of us to listen to all of our closest friends and allies around the world, or to a combination of French fascists, Nigel Farage and Vladimir Putin.

David Cameron: I’m glad he takes the English pronunciation of Farage rather than the rather poncey foreign-sounding one that he seems to prefer. I think that’s a thoroughly good thing.

:lol: 

Anyone who thinks that an effective Opposition is in the interests of democracy and competent government. That applies to Holyrood too. All Governments must be held to account for their actions.

If only someone would hold the SNP to account.  Our press give them far too easy a time.

:blink:

If only someone would hold the SNP to account. Our press give them far too easy a time.

:blink:

There was me thinking the electorate would get a chance to hold them to account next week.

All that SBPbad will have an effect next week. Won't it?

There was me thinking the electorate would get a chance to hold them to account next week.

All that SBPbad will have an effect next week. Won't it?

I doubt it.  The electorate are stupid, mindless sheep remember? We just haven't figured out yet how nasty and horrid the SNP are.

It's just incredible to think that a significant member of the Labour Party actually had to try to defend comments talking about how Hitler was a Zionist, or using the phrase 'before he [Hitler] went mad.'

He then locked himself in the toilets to get away from journalists.

During an anti-semitism controversy involving your own party you decide to bring up Hitler?