Happy Valley

rhliston

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Massive bump.

Feel like this series has lacked something the previous ones have, but it's still about the best thing being shown at the moment. Sarah Lancaster is just superb.

However the penultimate episode was on Sunday there and felt it was all a bit dull.

Spoiler

The PE boy finds the corpse in the suitcase but did he phone the police or what? 

Also think with Nev wanting to take them to Marbella which is were TLR is heading could he be in on the escape?

20 hours ago, 101 said:

Massive bump.

Feel like this series has lacked something the previous ones have, but it's still about the best thing being shown at the moment. Sarah Lancaster is just superb.

However the penultimate episode was on Sunday there and felt it was all a bit dull.

Hide contents

The PE boy finds the corpse in the suitcase but did he phone the police or what? 

Also think with Nev wanting to take them to Marbella which is were TLR is heading could he be in on the escape?

In regards to the spoiler 

Spoiler

TLR raped Nevs daughter in the first series so would find it unlikely unless he's being threatned. Still a bit of a coincidence mind you

Spoiler

My thoughts on that are that it's possible the bad guys are either wanting to see the back of TLR and are planning to deliver him straight to Nev & friends, or Nev has somehow gained knowledge of TLR's plan and is off to Marbella with a squad of his own to deal with him.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Unpoular opinion time but I don't think series 2 or 3(yet) live up to the opener. It's like it's been written by a different person. First series I felt there was little filler, most scenes were relevant to the plot and the characters were believable and true but not getting it with the later ones. Still enjoying it but not nearly as much.

Having thought about this a bit more - 

Spoiler

It's been an ongoing theme that the people looking after Ryan have been stressing that he isn't necessarily destined to be like his father. There have been a few pensive shots of Catherine where she's looking at him and you're supposed to think that she believes Ryan is likely to turn out somewhat like TLR. I think it's beginning to dawn on Ryan that his father is, in fact, a complete psychopath, so I think that TLR will do something so abhorrent in front of Ryan that Ryan intervenes and kills TLR, making Catherine's worst fears come true and bringing the whole 'not like his father' thing full circle.

And agree with those saying series three hasn't quite lived up to the first two.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I only started watching this about a fortnight ago on iPlayer, just because I was bored one night and a colleague recommended it. I didn't know what to expect, but it has been astonishingly good. I am now fully up to speed and ready for tonight. 

I agree with others, though, that Series 3 hasn't been at the same level as the first two. The quality of Series 1 was always going to be difficult to replicate, though. 

Spoiler

I have a sneaky feeling that Alison might have a significant part to play in the finale. She will undoubtedly feel some residual loyalty to Catherine, and I don't think she would have been brought back for Series 3 without having a bigger role planned for her than what she has contributed so far. 

Also curious to see if Clare seeks some sort of atonement for her role in facilitating Ryan's visits to Tommy in Sheffield. 

Well I thought that was a very decent ending.

Spoiler

I enjoyed that it was just Catherine Vs TLR in the end rather than a more heroic ending or stretching to something far fetched. 

I do think it was a bit obvious that they had filmed several endings as there was a few things we were being led to that never actually happened. But series 1 will remain the best of the three. 

Spoiler

I was basically expecting something of a replication of the cellar struggle from Ann's release, most likely with Catherine or someone close to her having to kill Tommy. But, with time, I think I will quite like how it has ended, even if it feels like a bit of an anti-climax just now. 

A couple of question marks still outstanding. Why does Poppy always keep on her coat? Is it a reaction to seeing her mother being abused, or has Rob potentially been abusing her too? Neil probably isn't dodgy, but there is still something nagging me about him. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yeh it would have been good to spend a bit longer clearing up the pharmacist and all. Not sure what was wrong with poppy probably to do with the attacks on her mum, which is what the fractures were about.

Yeh I thought Neil might have had some input tonight but basically him and the rest of Catherine's family don't feature other than Claire and Ryan

A couple of question marks still outstanding. Why does Poppy always keep on her coat? Is it a reaction to seeing her mother being abused, or has Rob potentially been abusing her too? Neil probably isn't dodgy, but there is still something nagging me about him

Spoiler

Felt like it was a bit of an anti-climax with TLR’s death announced via a text and 2 of the seasons main plotlines in the Teacher and the Pharmacist being tied up in a conversation between Catherine and the DS. (Possible they might have planned to/already filmed stuff around this and had to cut it down).

Even though I thought it was a bit anti-climatic, it was still good and rate the whole show pretty highly. 

Spoiler

I thought that was a deeply unsatisfying ending, felt like they tried to cram 3 episodes into one. Too many of the events just fizzled out with zero conclusion or resolution. TLR nonchalantly murders 3 guys, leaves their bodies on an open field and that's the last we hear. Faisal appears for 10 secs, Alison Garr mentions that her 'social worker' has access to hooky Diazepam etc, etc, etc............Would Catherine have gone into her house alone ? Of course not................sorry to be a picky bassa but after all the detailed buildup in the preceding 5 episodes, that finale was a serious damp squib, personally speaking.

Spoiler

I thought the graveside ghost and 'go home, mum' was totally ridiculous. Fair enough, Catherine's earlier visions of her dead daughter as some sort of stress-induced psychiatric event, but a 'ghost' or 'presence'. Just naw.

And the whole 'TLR' as a psychopath/recognises Catherine/Ryan's relationship and how his own life has been so different... jesus. That didn't need spelled out in such a banal way at all. It was almost like one of those American shows where they have to draft Morgan Freeman in to narrate a child-friendly summary of the plot for the benefit of the hard of thinking. If you haven't realised before now the TLR is a totally irredeemable narcissistic psychopath...

The kitchen scene just felt totally like a watered down, half-arsed re-run of the two Catherine v's Tommy scenes in both previous series. Needless, frustrating, and totally unsatisfying to boot.

Feel sorry for any show that has to end, it's almost impossible to please everyone and there'll always be backlash. 

I thought it was absolutely fine, thought the kitchen scene between the two was fantastic and overall Sarah Lancashire just knocks it out the park. 

Fwiw, I think season 2 was my least favourite of the 3 but it was tremendous TV overall and Catherine Cawood is just a great character.