Costa Rica

Ross.

Apart from reliving our 1990 World Cup humiliation, is there much reason to go to Costa Rica?

My missus has been suggesting it as a holiday destination for later this year. I'm unconvinced.

Anyone able to offer a recommendation? Or is it a case of "No way San Jose"?

I'm going in August, it looks spectacular.

They got rid of their entire military (because they don't need one, if anyone invades the US will sort it out) and invested the money into eco-tourism and conservation.

Virtually the whole country is designated into various national parks.

We are starting in San Jose, heading to Caribbean coast for diving / visiting a turtle conservation project (hopefully we'll see hatching turtles), then head deep into rainforest, then head to cloud forest for white water rafting, canyoning, climb volcanoes, zip lining, then head to coffee plantation, then heading to Pacific coast.

• 9 months later...
I've been to a fair few places over the years and Costa Rica is one of, if not my favourite

My parents went on my recommendation and loved it as well.

There's something for everyone. Tropical beaches, cloud forest rainforest, active volcanoes, waterfall, rich and diverse culture

Agreed. There's something for everyone, especially if you love being outdoors. I went to pretty much all of the above as well as white water rafting and zip lining.

San Jose itself isn't the prettiest city though, but I didn't need to spend much time there.

Had a chat a while back with a guy who worked for Rough Guide doing South and Central America. Said Costa Rica was a bit like Switzerland, dull but pretty. His favourite place was Colombia, great night life and fairly easy to avoid trouble. This was in the days of the cartels running riot. Probably like Northern Ireland when it was all kicking off, if you visited you'd be incredibly unlucky to get caught up in any bother.

On 11/19/2016 at 23:18, welshbairn said:

Had a chat a while back with a guy who worked for Rough Guide doing South and Central America. Said Costa Rica was a bit like Switzerland, dull but pretty. His favourite place was Colombia, great night life and fairly easy to avoid trouble. This was in the days of the cartels running riot. Probably like Northern Ireland when it was all kicking off, if you visited you'd be incredibly unlucky to get caught up in any bother.

Dull? What was this guy doing?

I went to Costa Rica for 17 days in August. Traveled all around wish I had more time.

We visit various national parks, saw zillions of different species, went whale watching, saw a green turtle laying eggs, went kayaking in mangroves beside crocodiles, climbed mountains, went head first down a 2 kn zip wire, visited rain forests and cloud forests (monkeys and sloths all over the place) visited a jaguar sanctuary, ate all the food, went white water rafting, went canyoning, learned loads about the history and culture, visited coffee plantations/processing places.

If you have the opportunity to go, then go.

• 1 month later...

Archived