Insightful site

Grim O'Grady

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Done another blog, this time on Lewis and Harris football as it's dear to my heart.

MOVING THE GOALPOSTS

Fabby stuff. Staying in Dalmore for a just over a week from Friday so will definitely have a look out for these grounds as I travel around. My other half will be most impressed !

Fabby stuff. Staying in Dalmore for a just over a week from Friday so will definitely have a look out for these grounds as I travel around. My other half will be most impressed !

Get yourself over to Uig then. Slightly off the tourist route but well worth it. Beaches as good as Harris and a wee distillery. Loads of photos on my Flickr page and my homepage which you can find from the blog. Carloway are at home on Monday night.

Get yourself over to Uig then. Slightly off the tourist route but well worth it. Beaches as good as Harris and a wee distillery. Loads of photos on my Flickr page and my homepage which you can find from the blog. Carloway are at home on Monday night.

^^^

Trip advisor found

;)

Grimbo

A 7pm kick off as well. Now to convince my better half that the footy season may not have finished after all ! That may be a hard sell. We will see. Would love to go, especially as it's only a few miles from were I'm staying.

Trip adviser :) Nothing wrong with good advice (Uig is on my list of must visits),  though there is some very bad advice on that site at time. Did laugh recently when I read a comment from a German tourist about a hotel I was considering staying in when he said that he dreaded returning to the hotel each night and had stayed away from it as long as he could; another visitor said the place should be closed immediately. Not surprising I didn't book up there.

• 4 weeks later...

A 7pm kick off as well. Now to convince my better half that the footy season may not have finished after all ! That may be a hard sell. We will see. Would love to go, especially as it's only a few miles from were I'm staying.

Trip adviser :) Nothing wrong with good advice (Uig is on my list of must visits),  though there is some very bad advice on that site at time. Did laugh recently when I read a comment from a German tourist about a hotel I was considering staying in when he said that he dreaded returning to the hotel each night and had stayed away from it as long as he could; another visitor said the place should be closed immediately. Not surprising I didn't book up there.

How did the trip go?

Latest blog here https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about about my extremely tardy late reply. No excuses.

My trip to Lewis/Harris at the start of June was fab - weather was stunning all week so I obvious got very lucky. You are right, when you drive around the island grounds just appear from the wilds. Didn't go in but WOW re the Back FC set up. Could my club get all that they have please. During my time I saw all the grounds in league (except I didn't see Harris United ground).

Re the Carloway game, as it turned out I was staying a 5 mins walk from the ground and planned go the game on the Monday night. Got back to Carloway about 6.50pm  after a full day out, which was fine, the clubs were warming up as I drove by (the away team were in black and white stripes - I like black and white lots !), midges were out. However, had booked a trip to St. Kilda from Leverburgh the next day and had to get up at 4.30am the next morning so reluctantly and sadly sensibly chose sleep over going to the game. St. Kilda was truely stunning, especially Boreray, but I regret missing the game big time. So I will definitely have to go back to Lewis at some point and take in a game. Actually I would love to see games at all the grounds so may plan a trip or two to do just that. 

I did spend a good part of one day in the Uig area. Lovely place. Where was the ground located when there was a team there? I'm a football historian and am always interested in long gone clubs and grounds.

The Uig team played on an obvious flat area at Ardroil, you go in by the campsite and drive as far as you can till you reach a sign saying no more cars, and some little barriers, the pitch was just beyond there but the goalposts are gone.

I'm actually in Lewis right now and supposed to be going on a 6 day trip to St Kilda on Saturday, but the forecast is terrible, wish we could have gone this week. 

Going to Faroes in August and back to Iceland in September so keep an eye on the blog...

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by your previous blog I plodded down to watch ness FC against tolsta tonight before realising it was a welfare match rather the seniors. Driving round Lewis I'm impressed with the standard of the grounds and would've liked to see a senior game on

9 hours ago, calmac25 said:

Inspired by your previous blog I plodded down to watch ness FC against tolsta tonight before realising it was a welfare match rather the seniors. Driving round Lewis I'm impressed with the standard of the grounds and would've liked to see a senior game on

The Lewis & Harris website is pretty decent nowadays.

Thats if you can get a signal of course...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Ooooops. Sorted. For sure. Honest. :unsure:

That's better.

00000761.jpg?w=918

If you're going to have standing, this is how it should be done. Looks awesome.

Fløtugerði, Sarpugerði, Sarpugerði and Margáir (the latter looks like they nicked the plans for Glenrothes' Warout and improved on it!) all look wonderful grounds for an afternoon's footie.

Archived