The Toothache thread

Dindeleux

Has anyone ever had a tooth extract that didn't want to come out, so the dentist had one of his feet on the chair to gain extra leverage? I told this to my mates in the pub once and they didn't believe me and we nearly had a fight about it. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Has anyone ever had a tooth extract that didn't want to come out, so the dentist had one of his feet on the chair to gain extra leverage? I told this to my mates in the pub once and they didn't believe me and we nearly had a fight about it. 

Yup, a foot on the chair and a knee on my shoulder for leverage. Totally painless afterwards as well, I was on a flight to Los Seattle the next day and thought it was going to be horrendous, no problem at all.

My mouth has been giving me trouble this week. One of my wisdom teeth is through at an angle and sometimes I have unfortunate incidents where I chomp down hard on my gum while eating. Means my mouth is going to be fucked for a few days and I won’t be able to speak or eat properly without wincing.

I also sometimes get food stuck down the side of my wisdom teeth which is another nightmare. The first time it happened I was able to ride it out with salty water rinsing but more recently I gave in and used antibiotics. My dentist is wary of removing my wisdom teeth, said it might cause irreversible nerve damage.

Had a female dentist who persisted with an extraction for ages. Pulled, then (I'm guessing cut the tooth to get better leverage) and did this for a while. Was convinced she was about to tell me I would have to go to hospital to have it removed. She went and got a guy to do it and it eventually came out.

If only the top part was as strong as the roots :(

On 16/01/2022 at 16:06, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not quite but when I was 14 I had to get a molar out to make room. The dentist was an older guy (think Larry in "Marathon Man") and he injected the anaesthetic into the gum and started to pull the tooth 

It would come out so he kept pulling and I felt some pain "aiya, ya b*****d" I cried when it came out.

"Oh, did that hurt?"

"Aye, it did"

Dentist looked at the extracted tooth "Oh, that's why it hurt. There's three roots to this tooth. Molars should only have two. That only happens to 1 in 10,000 folk. Can I keep it for the dental museum?"

"Aye, why not" THINKS: thanks a bunch, mate

ETA: just looked it up. Happens to 40% of Chinese apparently and maybe indicative of Denisovian ancestry. Hmm..I must have had an interesting ancestor somewhere. 

Edited by tamthebam

On 16/01/2022 at 20:43, jamamafegan said:

My dentist is wary of removing my wisdom teeth, said it might cause irreversible nerve damage.

Mine didn't even bother, she x-rayed the jaw and sent me packing to the hospital to get them done under general anesthesia. You could ask if it's a possibility although with Covid there might be a long queue.