Happy with your clubs business?

By far the biggest loss is Sow, who's been our most consistently good attacking player this season. He's probably the most talented striker we've had for about a decade but, if I was being hypercritical, I'd say he didn't get enough goals for a player of his ability. He has all the attributes to tear it up in this league IMO but he seemed to lack the killer instinct to score 20+. One possible silver lining is that this could allow Juanma to make a bigger contribution given the partnership with Sow amounted to something less than the sum of its parts and shoehorning Sow in on the wing was never ideal.

As much as I'm sad to see him go, I expected him to leave for free in the summer, so I'm delighted he buggered off to the other side of the world for £1.5m rather than signing a pre-contract with Rangers or some pish. It's a brilliant bit of business for us, expecially with him still being available for the Hibs game if needed.

The Souttar signing is low-risk at ~£150k and if he does end up fulfilling his potential we'll make a healthy profit and get a good player for a few years. If he doesn't, it's not a huge deal given how much we paid for him.

Don Cowie is a bit of a meh signing. The Don Cowie of a few years ago would have been a very decent signing and with us switching to a "lopsided" 4-4-2 recently he'd have been the ideal candidate to play on the right-hand side of midfield, a role I think he's got plenty of experience of at a decent level. As I recall, though, his game was mostly based around effort and energy rather than technique and, with him being 33 in a couple of weeks, I think the success of this signing depends entirely on whether he's still got the legs for it. Levein and Neilson must be pretty confident he does to give him a 2.5 year deal, which seems a bit bizarre on the face of it.

The most exciting signing is Dauda. His goalscoring record has been consistently good in the Swedish, Serbian and Dutch leagues and Neilson seemed very happy that we'd managed to get him. There's plenty of footage available of him on Youtube and he looks reasonably quick, he can score with his head or either foot, he can score shitey tap-ins or ping goals in from outside the box and he can set up goals for others. There's always an element of risk with signing foreign-based players but this seems like it could be a bit of a coup.

Whether it's been a good window in a purely footballing sense remains to be seen but it's hard to have too many complaints when we've possibly made a £1m+ profit while only losing one first choice player who had 6 months left on his deal.

tl;dr: I'm happy.

This.

Yes.

It's plain for anyone to see that our problem this season has been scoring goals, and to that end we've brought in a winger and an attacking midfielder in German and Nesbitt. Both of them are unknown quantities, but Nesbitt is certainly highly rated by the Celtic support and German seems to have done very well in his spell in India so I'm hopeful they'll be good. At the very least they provide further options and cover to what was looking like a thin squad. And erskine is joining at the end of the season, which is lovely but doesn't really help right now.

We've also offloaded Stevenson, who was probably our highest paid player and was plainly not going to get much game time so that's good. McDaid is out on loan, which is fine since he won't get enough games with us to progress so that could prove quite a smart bit of business if he comes back ready to make an impact at this level.

We've not lost either Osman or Lawless as well, which is excellent as they were both rumoured to be away.

Could maybe have done with another striker joining, although Nesbitt might be one, I'm not sure, but overall it's been a decent enough window for us.

Yes.

It's plain for anyone to see that our problem this season has been scoring goals, and to that end we've brought in a winger and an attacking midfielder in German and Nesbitt. Both of them are unknown quantities, but Nesbitt is certainly highly rated by the Celtic support and German seems to have done very well in his spell in India so I'm hopeful they'll be good. At the very least they provide further options and cover to what was looking like a thin squad. And erskine is joining at the end of the season, which is lovely but doesn't really help right now.

We've also offloaded Stevenson, who was probably our highest paid player and was plainly not going to get much game time so that's good. McDaid is out on loan, which is fine since he won't get enough games with us to progress so that could prove quite a smart bit of business if he comes back ready to make an impact at this level.

We've not lost either Osman or Lawless as well, which is excellent as they were both rumoured to be away.

Could maybe have done with another striker joining, although Nesbitt might be one, I'm not sure, but overall it's been a decent enough window for us.

Nesbitt is a cracking player

By far the biggest loss is Sow, who's been our most consistently good attacking player this season. He's probably the most talented striker we've had for about a decade but, if I was being hypercritical, I'd say he didn't get enough goals for a player of his ability. He has all the attributes to tear it up in this league IMO but he seemed to lack the killer instinct to score 20+. One possible silver lining is that this could allow Juanma to make a bigger contribution given the partnership with Sow amounted to something less than the sum of its parts and shoehorning Sow in on the wing was never ideal.

As much as I'm sad to see him go, I expected him to leave for free in the summer, so I'm delighted he buggered off to the other side of the world for £1.5m rather than signing a pre-contract with Rangers or some pish. It's a brilliant bit of business for us, expecially with him still being available for the Hibs game if needed.

The Souttar signing is low-risk at ~£150k and if he does end up fulfilling his potential we'll make a healthy profit and get a good player for a few years. If he doesn't, it's not a huge deal given how much we paid for him.

Don Cowie is a bit of a meh signing. The Don Cowie of a few years ago would have been a very decent signing and with us switching to a "lopsided" 4-4-2 recently he'd have been the ideal candidate to play on the right-hand side of midfield, a role I think he's got plenty of experience of at a decent level. As I recall, though, his game was mostly based around effort and energy rather than technique and, with him being 33 in a couple of weeks, I think the success of this signing depends entirely on whether he's still got the legs for it. Levein and Neilson must be pretty confident he does to give him a 2.5 year deal, which seems a bit bizarre on the face of it.

The most exciting signing is Dauda. His goalscoring record has been consistently good in the Swedish, Serbian and Dutch leagues and Neilson seemed very happy that we'd managed to get him. There's plenty of footage available of him on Youtube and he looks reasonably quick, he can score with his head or either foot, he can score shitey tap-ins or ping goals in from outside the box and he can set up goals for others. There's always an element of risk with signing foreign-based players but this seems like it could be a bit of a coup.

Whether it's been a good window in a purely footballing sense remains to be seen but it's hard to have too many complaints when we've possibly made a £1m+ profit while only losing one first choice player who had 6 months left on his deal.

Sow was occasionally great but sometimes posted missing. I agree about the killer instinct, he seemed a bit laid back at times.

His replacement Dauda looks like he might be a bit more aggressive. Hopefully our "big physical" team just got more physical and we can give the greeting faced ****s more to whine about. :)

My+thoughts+exactly+_8e3ecc5eae8bd432482

How do you rate your incomings?

Pretty good considering our limited budget. Archie was under pressure to bring in some attacking options as Doolan is the only form striker as Pogba is injury prone and hasn't got going yet. Nesbitt and German flesh us out and give options for run in! Hopefully add competitiveness for places and can play a part.

Outgoings?

We nearly lost Bannigan and Lawless. Didn't happen and so I think we are all very happy! Lawless certainly helped out the team last night versus the steelmen. Duggan who has a decent potential extended loan at Queens Park.

Failed deals? Mandron ;-)

Do you think you're stronger, weaker, or much the same?

With 2 new faces and injured players back I think we are stronger. We need to keep majority fit but we're in good shape presently. I think we have squad to stay up and challenge for a spot in top six but I don't want to get to far ahead.

And are you satisfied or disgusted?

Satisfied. But really want to get Osman tied up to a new deal for a few years. That is the priority.

Archived