Festivals 2016

Hank Scorpio

Going to try and get a ticket for Desert Trip in California. Chances of actually getting one are slim to none, but £350 for weekend + camping to see The Stones, McCartney and Roger Waters supported by Dylan, Neil Young and The Who in the Californian desert sounds too good not to at least attempt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again Knockengorroch was absolutely ace.

Family Atlantica (Latin), KOG and the Zongo Brigade (Afrobeat) were sensational while Krafty Kuts (Breaks) ripped the place apart late Saturday night. 

Best small festival in the UK. 

Glastonbury in two and a half weeks. Slightly disappointed with the line-up overall, but a gargantuan list of stages/bands/DJs* so still plenty to keep me happy.

*and Steve Davis.

My favourite year of Glasto was when I thought the lineup was crap. Did loads of random stages and tents and only saw 2 acts at the main stages all weekend.

Take it as an opportunity to experience more than you would normally. You could probably catch 8/10 acts elsewhere anyway.

Can't believe how good End of the Road looks.

Can't quite do it this year and still get a hockey trip in, but my car is paid off next spring so it gives me some money to try to put together for 2017.

Would probably fly down to Southampton and hire a car. Find some hotel accommodation in the area. My usual gig buddies tend to go to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass so that's a possibility, but the scale of HSB puts me off. 300,000 crowd? mental.

End of the Road has the right balance between size and quality. Its the kind of festival Connect could have been if they didn't make such a monumental c**t of it.

My favourite year of Glasto was when I thought the lineup was crap. Did loads of random stages and tents and only saw 2 acts at the main stages all weekend.

Take it as an opportunity to experience more than you would normally. You could probably catch 8/10 acts elsewhere anyway.

Aye. Went in 2010, spent little time at the Pyramid, other than Ray Davies playing all the Kinks stuff in glorious sunshine, which was up there as one of my best ever gigs.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a ticket for Kendal Calling yesterday.  Lineup is alright I suppose, but a load of my mates are going so should make for a decent enough weekend.  After a couple of years hiatus from festivals I can't say I'm overly excited at the prospect of sleeping in a tent, I thought them days were well and truly behind me. 

Bought a ticket for Kendal Calling yesterday. Lineup is alright I suppose, but a load of my mates are going so should make for a decent enough weekend. After a couple of years hiatus from festivals I can't say I'm overly excited at the prospect of sleeping in a tent, I thought them days were well and truly behind me.

I'm away there as well with 3 mates and the other halves. Should be a fairly chilled out affair similar to what Rockness was (I hope). Quite looking forward to some of the lineup but genuinely can't wait to give it laldy for The Darkness.

12 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I'm away there as well with 3 mates and the other halves. Should be a fairly chilled out affair similar to what Rockness was (I hope). Quite looking forward to some of the lineup but genuinely can't wait to give it laldy for The Darkness.

Never been, but I've heard it's very similar to the Wickerman so should be decent enough.

Less than a week until Secret Soltice in Reykjavik! Cannot wait. Deftones and Radiohead plus others headlining over 4 days!

How was the festival? I had a wee look at their website after you posted this and it looks amazing.

3 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:

How was the festival? I had a wee look at their website after you posted this and it looks amazing.

It was pretty good. Well laid out and organised. I think most people bought tickets purely to see Radiohead as it was in the indoor arena. I think it was about 10,000 capacity. The lineup could have been stronger but £120 odd quid for a 4 day festival was good value. Deftones and Radiohead was enough for me to be sold on it. Lot's of weird house music and Icelandic rap music. 

Transport links to the festival were by local bus and took about 20 minutes alternatively it was within walking distance. Abiut half an hour stroll. 

The beer was cheaper at the festival than it was in the main stretch of Reykjavik. Food wasn't the cheap greasy affair we get at UK festivals it was really high quality from vegan to traditional goat meat soup etc. 

Any other questions, gimme a shout and I'll be happy to try and answer if you're thinking of going next year.

48 minutes ago, the snudge said:

It was pretty good. Well laid out and organised. I think most people bought tickets purely to see Radiohead as it was in the indoor arena. I think it was about 10,000 capacity. The lineup could have been stronger but £120 odd quid for a 4 day festival was good value. Deftones and Radiohead was enough for me to be sold on it. Lot's of weird house music and Icelandic rap music. 

Transport links to the festival were by local bus and took about 20 minutes alternatively it was within walking distance. Abiut half an hour stroll. 

The beer was cheaper at the festival than it was in the main stretch of Reykjavik. Food wasn't the cheap greasy affair we get at UK festivals it was really high quality from vegan to traditional goat meat soup etc. 

Any other questions, gimme a shout and I'll be happy to try and answer if you're thinking of going next year.

Thanks man, that's a great price for four days. I've always fancied going to Iceland and this festival looks great. Was it reasonable for accommodation? 

3 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Thanks man, that's a great price for four days. I've always fancied going to Iceland and this festival looks great. Was it reasonable for accommodation? 

Three of us paid 500 quid between us for air bnb. That was 6 nights in an apartment with all the necessities. Hotels would be dearer no doubt.

Archived