RooshV

Mr Bairn

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More information at our fingertips than at any point in history, yet some folk would still rather flail around in ignorance and guesswork than actually: a) read the article in question; b) research why it's satirical if not already apparent.

:1eye

'Progressives' once again shouting for the restriction of speech, even speech in private spaces as noted by mrcat1990. Everyone who doesn't agree is obviously a racist, a homophobe, a misogynist, a <insert here>. An eye-rollingly tired silencing tactic that would be amusing in it's childishness if it wasn't so fucking scary how many people subscribe to and demand the enforcing of it, including two people in the thread substantially involved in local 'Progressive' politics. Let that sink in for a moment.

Satire apparently doesn't exist any more (or only when allowed)! Which might explain why numerous comedians will no longer go near the 'Progressive', social justice hotbeds that are university campuses for fear of being smeared and having their careers damaged. Various speakers are also being banned/no-platformed from talks and debates for having the wrong opinions.

Be careful what you wish for, and keep the delicious ad hominems and troll accusations coming ;)

Here is the original article: http://www.rooshv.com/how-to-stop-rape

Please, tell us where the satire is.

I do completely agree with people doing that, thinking and judging for yourself is the most important thing you can do. Taking the contrary position and trying to justify it isn't really challenging it though, you have to be able to argue the case and in considering this RooshV guy, what has been said about him generally fits with the evidence.

Again, I'm not taking the contrary position, I'm pointing out misrepresentation, half-truths, lies, etc. The evidence absolutely does not fit the headlines that he is a 'militant pro-rape' guy organizing worldwide 'rape meetups' where roves of his disciples will be 'roaming the streets looking for women to rape'.

Feel free to criticise what he has actually said, in context.

You talk about reading beyond the headlines which if fair enough but in the case of this guy, reading beyond the headlines simply provides the evidence for the accusations made against him. Reading the 'How to stop rape' blog, he is talking a narrow situation and extrapolating it beyond reasonable a point. First of all he focuses on rape of women who are drunk/drugged. Now I don't disagree that women should look after themselves and getting blind driunk isn't exactly doing that but there is a bit of a jump in logic to then say that you should make rape on private property legal.

He say's "For all orther rapes, however, especially if done on a dwelling or private property, any and all rape that happens should be completely legal". So this would extrapolate to any woman who has a man in her house or goes to the home of a friend, or any other man. For example, i take German lessons at my (female) tutors house. What if my tutor was male, should I not take lessons because I would be learning in his home? if he raped me would you really want to say it was my fault for being on the premises? His own arguments are invalid and not worth defending.

The argument that he isn't pro-rape doesn't follow either. He clearly is. He isn't pro all kinds of rape as in his blog he states it shouldn't be legal for "seedy and deranged men who select their victims on alleys and jogging trails" however the law states that rape of women on public grounds is illegal, and he wants to challenge this, he wants this to be permissibile so it followes that he is pro-rape in at least one situational area (on private property). His blog now has an area at the top that says it is a satirical thought experiment which I gather was added after the initial publication. The piece isn't satirical though, there is criticism but its not really satirical in its language or tone. Its not a thought experiment either - given that the body of the text makes no reference to it being so which it should if you are writing as such.

None of this is relevant. You can't analyse a satirical article as if it's not satirical, and expect to arrive at reasonable conclusions about the authors actual thoughts and intent.

Does every person deserve a hearing? I find this runs along similar lines as 'My opinion is as good as everyone elses'. There are some people in the world that are more worth listening to than others, generally by education i.e I'd listen to a doctors opinion on my health before, say, my friend and I'd listen to a scientist's opinion on climate change over a taxi driver's. Everyone has the chance to have a hearing or an opinion, but others get to judge whether its a well informed opinion or views, and if they think they should be listened to. What qualifies this guy to be worth listening to? His opinions and views appear to be badly formed and not based in any great evidence and I think that is what leads to this outpouring of critiscim.

This is actually a really disappointing paragraph, as it seemed you were 'getting there'. Yes, every person deserves a hearing. This is utterly fundemental to a supposed civilised society based on law that provides presumption of innocence. You yourself quite neatly summed up what has happened here, 'mob mentality', and now mob justice as he's partly cancelled the meetups.

The value of opinions stuff is correct (yes, I think most of us would rather take medical advise from a doctor than a florist), but completely unrelated to fair hearing.

Again I think this Rooshv guy is an utter fanny, however I can't be the only one who's noticed all these offended fannies going on about him, setting up campaigns against him appear to be the same people who are suggesting Julian Assange has been wronged and the government is acting audaciously because they dare to think he should be questioned regarding a rape?

More striking than this, compare this RooshV hysteria to the reaction to whatever happened in Cologne on new year's eve, which was met with initial attempted hushing, and now ongoing censorship of criticism of those accused. One guy and his followers vilified and misrepresented across the MSM, while at the same time desperately tiptoeing around trying to give a pass to another group actually accused by numerous alleged victims of numerous sexual assaults, other assaults, and theft.

'Mon the Rooshie Roar?

I'm not championing him, and there's quite a bit of circular reasoning going on - he's a monster, anything said that suggests he's not quite the monster he's being made out to be is bad... because, y'know, he's a monster.

Every person deserves a hearing.

As i said banana, i might have agreed with the sentiment of your post that I quoted but i don't think you can defend the indefensible just on the premise of the basic human right to be given a fair hearing.

Some people have no right to the above on the basis they do not buy into everything else that makes up a society that respects that human right.

Sometimes we just need to do the right thing rather than do things right.

Again I think this Rooshv guy is an utter fanny, however I can't be the only one who's noticed all these offended fannies going on about him, setting up campaigns against him appear to be the same people who are suggesting Julian Assange has been wronged and the government is acting audaciously because they dare to think he should be questioned regarding a rape?

Assange has offered to be questioned numerous times within the embassy. It's a clear plan to have him extradited. The two people are in no way similar or comparable.

More striking than this, compare this RooshV hysteria to the reaction to whatever happened in Cologne on new year's eve, which was met with initial attempted hushing, and now ongoing censorship of criticism of those accused. One guy and his followers vilified and misrepresented across the MSM, while at the same time desperately tiptoeing around trying to give a pass to another group actually accused by numerous alleged victims of numerous sexual assaults, other assaults, and theft.

How was it hushed? It was all over the news that groups of immigrants were doing this.

Yes he's offered to be questioned but at what point did we start letting accused or suspects control investigations? It's a Swedish case, where he's alleged to have committed a serious crime he should go to Sweden and see out the legal process.

You realise the UN have just found that he's been arbitrarily detained and that Sweden have never actually filed any charges against him? http://www.firstpost.com/world/sweden-never-filed-any-charges-against-assange-top-un-human-rights-high-commission-official-2615300.html

Nope, it took more than a week for it to appear in the Media.

That's a good hushing job someones done there, kept it quiet for a whole week! A job at MI5 awaits.

Again, I'm not taking the contrary position, I'm pointing out misrepresentation, half-truths, lies, etc. The evidence absolutely does not fit the headlines that he is a 'militant pro-rape' guy organizing worldwide 'rape meetups' where roves of his disciples will be 'roaming the streets looking for women to rape'.

Feel free to criticise what he has actually said, in context.

None of this is relevant. You can't analyse a satirical article as if it's not satirical, and expect to arrive at reasonable conclusions about the authors actual thoughts and intent.

This is actually a really disappointing paragraph, as it seemed you were 'getting there'. Yes, every person deserves a hearing. This is utterly fundemental to a supposed civilised society based on law that provides presumption of innocence. You yourself quite neatly summed up what has happened here, 'mob mentality', and now mob justice as he's partly cancelled the meetups.

The value of opinions stuff is correct (yes, I think most of us would rather take medical advise from a doctor than a florist), but completely unrelated to fair hearing.

I criticized above what he has actually said - taken from his blog and not out of context. As I say he clearly writes in his blog that he is pro-rape in some definitions of the term. Whilst there his obviously some exaggeration and hysteria in the media I don't think much of what is written seriously misrepresents him or his work, yes he isn't militant but he is pro-rape, his meet-ups are probably not designed to have rapists roaming the streets for victims but they were designed to promote his message which does include violence and rape against women.

I actually think you are getting the idea of 'a fair hearing' and persumption of innocence mixed up. He isn't on trial here, he isn't being accused of any crime. He has a fair hearing, his website and blog allow him to deliver his views, they are not restriced and given the blog is still up there, presumably not censored by others.

He is free to deliver his message and given he has many followers this message is delivered. People do not have the right to expect others to listen to their message unchalleneged though, and that what I mean about deserving a hearing - people are free to express their views but they don't have the right to expect others to quietly listen and accept them. I'm not suggesting that its ok for people to be violent in their protests but I think that planning to protest with banners etc and to speak out in the press against it is fine, though it would be better if they could lose the hysterical edge and stick to the facts..

• 3 years later...

Archived