Nithsdale Wanderers history......

Does anyone know the real history of the current club and the ex-League club? Were Nithsdale Amateurs founded directly from the ashes of the defunct League club? Did the current team ever play on the same ground that the old club did? I can remember several coach loads of fans from Sanquar following their team whenever a local Amateur Cup Final was played at Palmerston. They absolutely dominated the Dumfriesshire Amateur game for many years. Wonder why they haven't managed anything of a challenge since going senior a few years ago.

Don't think the present club has anything to do with the old club that played in the Scottish League in the 20's.

Useless fact! My father was born near Sanquhar and as a child he saw the old Nithsdale in the league.

He died last year aged 96

Don't think the present club has anything to do with the old club that played in the Scottish League in the 20's.

Useless fact! My father was born near Sanquhar and as a child he saw the old Nithsdale in the league.

He died last year aged 96

Sorry to hear your father died... Albeit a last year.

Did he ever play for Nithsdale (or any team in the Southern Counties) to you knowledge??

Does anyone know the real history of the current club and the ex-League club? Were Nithsdale Amateurs founded directly from the ashes of the defunct League club? Did the current team ever play on the same ground that the old club did? I can remember several coach loads of fans from Sanquar following their team whenever a local Amateur Cup Final was played at Palmerston. They absolutely dominated the Dumfriesshire Amateur game for many years. Wonder why they haven't managed anything of a challenge since going senior a few years ago.

As WILLIEA said... I don't think they were anything to do with original team!! 37 years passed between the folding of the Original side, that played in the Scottish League/Juniors, and the founding of the new Southern Counties team!! They may have been some people involved with both teams and some fans who supported them too but that would be about it I'd reckon!! Someone should know better than me though...

Sorry to hear your father died... Albeit a last year.

Did he ever play for Nithsdale (or any team in the Southern Counties) to you knowledge??

He was more into putting the shot and throwing the hammer ( There's a joke in there somewhere ) Never played football.

He did say it was a big day out when Nithsdale played at Palmerston.

Nithsdale Wanderers spent 4 seasons in SFL, including winning Division Three and spending 2 years in tier 2.

Averaged 2,079 first tier 2 season - more than 8 other clubs including Dumbarton and Albion Rovers - and drew 5,000 for derby v QotS.

At one point during the autumn they were top, chasing promotion to the highest division.

Some other notable events:

* 3,700 v Aberdeen (SC R2 1947-48)

* played at Celtic Park (SC R2 1938-39), Tannadice (twice), Pittodrie (SC R2 1929-30), Firhill (twice), Hampden (SC R1 1921-22), Tynecastle (twice), Dens Park (SC R2 1902-03)

* played in front of several 10,000+ away crowds

Beat Dundee Utd away in SC R2 during 1922-23.

Took Motherwell to a replay in SC R2 in 1910-11, and Kilmarnock to 2 replays in SC R1 in 1903-04.

Edited by HibeeJibee

This one came up in the Juniors section way back in 2012.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/182940-nithsdale-wanderers-demise-in-1962-63/

In terms of overachievement, the original Nithsdale Wanderers at Crawick Holm certainly were an eye opener. David Nivison was the prime mover of the club and when he died much of the momentum died with him. Had they not been scuttled with the Division 3 wreck, they like so many others from that era may have remained in the national league to this day when less promising material from Angus proved able to survive & return.

Worth saying that they didn't go down with Division Three.

They were in Division Two the season it failed to finish and indeed - after the promising start I mentioned - finished 12th. Following season they came bottom and while Arbroath got re-elected Wands lost to Leith Athletic of the Scottish Alliance.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2 February 2016 at 17:30, HibeeJibee said:

Nithsdale Wanderers spent 4 seasons in SFL, including winning Division Three and spending 2 years in tier 2.

Averaged 2,079 first tier 2 season - more than 8 other clubs including Dumbarton and Albion Rovers - and drew 5,000 for derby v QotS.

At one point during the autumn they were top, chasing promotion to the highest division.

Some other notable events:

* 3,700 v Aberdeen (SC R2 1947-48)

* played at Celtic Park (SC R2 1938-39), Tannadice (twice), Pittodrie (SC R2 1929-30), Firhill (twice), Hampden (SC R1 1921-22), Tynecastle (twice), Dens Park (SC R2 1902-03)

* played in front of several 10,000+ away crowds

Beat Dundee Utd away in SC R2 during 1922-23.

Took Motherwell to a replay in SC R2 in 1910-11, and Kilmarnock to 2 replays in SC R1 in 1903-04.

Aberdeen were cup holders when they came to Sanquhar.   Nithsdale had the misfortune to have me as one of two mascots at the game.

The Hibs Famous Five made their first ever appearance together in a friendly at Sanquhar. I remember Tommy Younger also played in the game. I was there and Hibs won 7-2 if my memory serves me correctly.

Seems to be something a miss up Sanquhar way at the minute. Team struggling. Was always going to be the case with the management team that was appointed.
They are not the only management team struggling. How are Bonnyton managers still in a job? Lochar Thistle are struggling without Nikki. St Cuthberts are worse than when Mr Frazer was in charge. Talking of the man himself Newton are also struggling.
Fair play to Abbey Vale and Threave for battling it out for the League title

Just now, Aguerooooo said:

Seems to be something a miss up Sanquhar way at the minute. Team struggling. Was always going to be the case with the management team that was appointed.
They are not the only management team struggling. How are Bonnyton managers still in a job? Lochar Thistle are struggling without Nikki. St Cuthberts are worse than when Mr Frazer was in charge. Talking of the man himself Newton are also struggling.
Fair play to Abbey Vale and Threave for battling it out for the League title

The new management team seem to be hell bent on pulling what had potential to be an exciting young Nithsdale team to pieces and bringing in ex Saints, Dalbeattie and Threave players -- watched Nithsdale on Saturday against Saints and they had Graham Wright in goals ex Dalbeattie  -- he lost an absolute howler of a goal and that seemed to set the tone for a very abject Nithsdale performance -- Nithsdale have lost more goals in the 4 or 5 games that the new manager has been in charge than they had all season up till then -- it aint working Mr Cameron !!!!!....