Pitches @ this time of the year?

KilsythCoyle

Currently looking @ the current Hampden pitch for the senior League Cup Semi between Celtic and Ross County. What an embarrassment. Total mess of a pitch and a disgrace to the senior cup competition. How's your own teams pitch holding up over the winter so far (when playable)??

There are dozens off junior pitches in better condition than hampden . Our own pitch is just starting a five year improvement programme ,carried out by volunteers with the help off a tremendous groundsman . Makes you wonder when you see the national stadium in such a state .

The problem with Hampden is that they built the main stand with the big roof on the side where the sun goes, so the pitch doesn't get much sunlight. It's an architectural abomination and built on the cheap.

That's why Ibrox has the glass towers at the corners and Celtic Park has the low stand at the south, so the pitch gets natural sunlight.

I'm sure most of the Kilsyth lads would echo my opinion on how good Duncansfield has been looking all season. In particular, over the winter months so far. Just a couple of weeks ago, against Kilwinning the pitch looked as if there had hardly been a ball kicked on it all season. Yes it was heavy towards the end of the game, but nowhere near the state Hampden was in today!

The problem with Hampden is that they built the main stand with the big roof on the side where the sun goes, so the pitch doesn't get much sunlight. It's an architectural abomination and built on the cheap.

That's why Ibrox has the glass towers at the corners and Celtic Park has the low stand at the south, so the pitch gets natural sunlight.

^^^^

Charles Rennie Ferguson. ;)

I actually think that modern green keepers are too dependent on technology, or rather ride on tractors rather than the old push mowers. A few years ago, prior to an old firm semifinal at Hampden, I watched them cut the grass with ride on mowers whose tyres were causing more damage than the cutting blades. They played the following day in a mud bath. Get them out with lawn mowers and rollers.

In all fairness there was a lot of rain on Saturday night and Sunday. Since the heavy weather came in late Oct I think Lugars pitch although very heavy has been the most played grass pitch in Ayrshire with two teams playing on it

I actually think that modern green keepers are too dependent on technology, or rather ride on tractors rather than the old push mowers. A few years ago, prior to an old firm semifinal at Hampden, I watched them cut the grass with ride on mowers whose tyres were causing more damage than the cutting blades. They played the following day in a mud bath. Get them out with lawn mowers and rollers.

You would have some job pushing the old Ransomes cylinder mower with the big roller behind the cutter which wass pretty well the standard mower used by nearly every club right up until the 1990's.

It was petrol driven and the groundsman walked behind it, it certainly did a great job but it took a while to cut a full pitch and the grassbox had to be emptied quite a few times depending on how long the grass was.

Having said all that I think pitches in general are much better now than in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

An awful lot of junior pitches didn't have any grass to cut in any case, Ashfield was well named!

The hand machines are perfect if you have the staff to cut them , one man using a 34in will take over 2 hours to cut just going up and down , if you want wide stripes then it takes longer to cut.

Ideally all clubs would use the small machines because the bigger and heavier machines cause compaction which is not ideal for drainage.

Most of the top clubs in England use hand machines but will have four or five machines on the park at any one time so done more often and in much less time.

Junior clubs cant afford that luxury because most junior clubs rely on volunteers and dont have the man hours available to do this (allowing for weather restrictions )

Having said all that many junior parks look fantastic and much better than a lot of senior parks.

You're right but I this day and age there are a number of ways to produce artificial light all year round- floodlights on trollies that can move and be rolled around the pitch are the most obvious one.

The national stadium should have a surface in top condition throughout the year- don't tell me it's because it gets played on every week, so does the Emirates .

100% correct and if you watch the post match analysis on sky sports from top level games in England you always see footage in the bank ground of empty stadiums with the floodlights still on and about ten guys walking side by side using small hand lawnmowers to cut the whole pitch.

If that's the way that they're all doing it then it suggests it's the correct way however of course smaller teams like us juniors don't have the manpower nor the finance for lots of these machines

Archived