Scotrail

ScottR96

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

That’s great news. Is it wishful thinking to hope this might lead to prices dropping for rail travel?

You'd like to think there would be some reduction in costs. You used to be able to get a £5 Advance ticket for Edinburgh to / from Inverness but they seem to be non existent despite Scotrail's claims (sadly the amazing £10 First Class Advance ones died a death). Now it seems to be £20 minimum which isn't terrible but walk up prices are still absurd (almost £50 for a walk up single for a journey tomorrow) so hopefully they can be reduced. 

You'd like to think there would be some reduction in costs. You used to be able to get a £5 Advance ticket for Edinburgh to / from Inverness but they seem to be non existent despite Scotrail's claims (sadly the amazing £10 First Class Advance ones died a death). Now it seems to be £20 minimum which isn't terrible but walk up prices are still absurd (almost £50 for a walk up single for a journey tomorrow) so hopefully they can be reduced. 

£5 quid advance ticket is incredible. No chance that’s a thing anymore.

I hate the whole buying in advance thing anyway, usually you have to buy a ticket ages in advance with no option of a refund. It’s shite if your plans change. Just make walk up prices cheaper. Still think the way forward would be a card you can load money onto that gets you onto other modes of public transport i.e the Edinburgh trams and Glasgow subway.

Surely simplification/standardisation of prices is the priority alongside cost. No more of these bullshit split journeys etc

The profit margin the operators get is 3% so anyone hoping this will reduce fares is in for a disappointment. 

I think all the rail franchises will end up similar. They are on life support from the State currently and even a modest drop in their commuter revenues will cripple them. Most of them were financial basket cases anyway, but the model is now dead in the water. 

There is a wider discussion on how the fallout of this should be managed. Five days a week in the office won't return for a lot of people and unless the train companies are looking at pricing in part time season tickets at a decent rate, the resolve of some to minimise/entirely eliminate returning to the office will grow. 

The profit margin the operators get is 3% so anyone hoping this will reduce fares is in for a disappointment. 
I think all the rail franchises will end up similar. They are on life support from the State currently and even a modest drop in their commuter revenues will cripple them. Most of them were financial basket cases anyway, but the model is now dead in the water. 
There is a wider discussion on how the fallout of this should be managed. Five days a week in the office won't return for a lot of people and unless the train companies are looking at pricing in part time season tickets at a decent rate, the resolve of some to minimise/entirely eliminate returning to the office will grow. 
They make most of their money from leisure tickets. It'll be interesting to see if they now jack these prices up or try some new initiatives. I reckon the trains will be bouncing once summer hits and pubs etc. are open so it'll be interesting to see which way they go with it.

54 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'm £16.50 for a return from Falkirk to Glasgow.   I take the car because it's cheaper.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

That’s great news. Is it wishful thinking to hope this might lead to prices dropping for rail travel?

Probably not as the Scottish government already had it within their powers to adjust prices for most rail ticket types (i.e. regulated fares). Just means more money would need to be put into the railway.

Maybe a few more Greens in parliament will help bring about more investment and a national Oyster-style scheme.

8 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

I'm £16.50 for a return from Falkirk to Glasgow.   I take the car because it's cheaper.

£11.25 going by HMRC's 45p / mile, how much is the parking?

Their prices are absolutely pish, and I hold pretty much zero hope of that changing.

A return from Dundee to Glasgow if you buy on the day is currently £43.20. 

In fact I've just checked and a ticket for that journey a month from now is £49.10. Same with 2 months from now too.

Who do they think these prices are for? 

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Their prices are absolutely pish, and I hold pretty much zero hope of that changing.

A return from Dundee to Glasgow if you buy on the day is currently £43.20. 

In fact I've just checked and a ticket for that journey a month from now is £49.10. Same with 2 months from now too.

Who do they think these prices are for? 

People who don't want to spend 90 minutes driving or in a bus? Driving the 82 miles would cost £37 one way though (not including parking) and take 10+ minutes longer so in that sense it's not that bad.

Of course it should be cheaper to encourage less driving, but the problem is the costs of motoring haven't increased at the same rate as public transport.

Ewh1TRHWYAY3h_Z?format=jpg&name=small

People who don't want to spend 90 minutes driving or in a bus? Driving the 82 miles would cost £37 one way though (not including parking) and take 10+ minutes longer so in that sense it's not that bad.
Of course it should be cheaper to encourage less driving, but the problem is the costs of motoring haven't increased at the same rate as public transport.
Ewh1TRHWYAY3h_Z?format=jpg%26name=small&key=0787a9022f02131a92fefd1856995bb6d447965156623b2e6c41b3f8e4e3f8c7

£37 quid Dundee to Glasgow one way in a car? That’s a load of shite m8 unless you assume the person is driving a gas guzzler.

54 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Scotrail do have a contactless smartcard so hopefully they'll be able to integrate it somehow with buses etc. You used to be able to buy a rail+ ticket (a paper one) for train and buses or ferries in some places so something like that would be great.

It's not a real smartcard, it's pretty shite really. All you can do is pre-load it with specific tickets, which achieves almost nothing other than save a bit of paper.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

£37 quid Dundee to Glasgow one way in a car? That’s a load of shite m8 unless you assume the person is driving a gas guzzler.

Your car isn't free, and you have to tax, insure and maintain it.