5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

You get a biscuit and a cup of tea or coffee, you can't even get an irn bru or coca cola never mind a beer. You get power sockets and free WiFi in standard so you're paying twice the price (if you're going Glasgow to Edinburgh alone) for what? 

Isolation from smelly working class types.

Just now, welshbairn said:

...sometimes ;)

I was allowed to sit in 1st class of the Edi-Larbert train today, after :

Told to go to platform 20 as the train I thought I had just missed "was delayed so I'd probably still catch it". Got to 20, to be told that it had been cancelled altogether.

Went to platform 13 to catch the next scheduled Dunblane train, where a TransPennine train pulls in.  Didn't get on, as I reckoned Dunblane isn't on the Pennine route, even by Scotrail standards. True enough, the board (and train signage) changed to Manchester Airport. 

Lastly, 5 mins after it should have left, we were told to hurry to platform 12, where the Dunblane train would leave from. 

Got to sit in 1st to straighten my face.

24 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:
55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Almost at Queen Street (alighted in Dundee of course).
Booked the train 2 weeks ago. On the Scotrail website the return was almost £40. I used the Split Ticket website and got it for half the price.
The train is only 3 carriages and is absolutely rammed. Standing room only, although I managed to grab one of those single side facing seats next to the luggage rack. No trolley either, so if anyone wanted a drink (coffee/tea/water/booze/soft drink) then tough balls.
Mental prices for an achingly shit service.

^^^ tears

A few

Is there a worst first class service in the world than scotrail. I sometimes use it if I book an lner ticket from Glasgow down the East Coast so I'm entitled to use it from Queen Street to Waverley before getting the lner train. 
You get a biscuit and a cup of tea or coffee, you can't even get an irn bru or coca cola never mind a beer. You get power sockets and free WiFi in standard so you're paying twice the price (if you're going Glasgow to Edinburgh alone) for what? 
Compare that to LNER where you get leather reclining seats, food on proper plates with metal cutlery and drinks included and it's mental. 
I believe the saying is 'the thing that makes it first class is who is not in first class'.

8 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

...sometimes ;)

I was allowed to sit in 1st class of the Edi-Larbert train today, after :

Told to go to platform 20 as the train I thought I had just missed "was delayed so I'd probably still catch it". Got to 20, to be told that it had been cancelled altogether.

Went to platform 13 to catch the next scheduled Dunblane train, where a TransPennine train pulls in.  Didn't get on, as I reckoned Dunblane isn't on the Pennine route, even by Scotrail standards. True enough, the board (and train signage) changed to Manchester Airport. 

Lastly, 5 mins after it should have left, we were told to hurry to platform 12, where the Dunblane train would leave from. 

Got to sit in 1st to straighten my face.

or you were in a train with a 1st class section on a route that Scotrail do not offer 1st class on 

Edited by ajwffc

12 hours ago, ajwffc said:

or you were in a train with a 1st class section on a route that Scotrail do not offer 1st class on 

Leave me alone with my happy delusion, please! ;)

Always a bit bemused by people on Twitter who tweet Scotrail praise and/or pictures of nice scenery and trains and stuff for them to retweet.  

Edited by Highland Capital

On 06/04/2019 at 13:39, Fuctifano said:

Is there a worst first class service in the world than scotrail. I sometimes use it if I book an lner ticket from Glasgow down the East Coast so I'm entitled to use it from Queen Street to Waverley before getting the lner train. 

Compare that to LNER where you get leather reclining seats, food on proper plates with metal cutlery and drinks included and it's mental. 

Yes - TransPennine is same service levels as you have described between Edinburgh and Glasgow but instead of a joinery of less than an hour it lasts almost 4 hours.

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Always a bit bemused by people on Twitter who tweet Scotrail praise and/or pictures of nice scenery and trains and stuff for them to retweet.  

They either work for Scotrail or are train spotting mentalists. The CEO Alex Hynes goes through and retweets every one of them as well. 

The lack of carriages leaving Inverness going south is a joke.  2 on the Inverness to Edinburgh train.  On what planet is that enough?  The Glasgow Central to Ardrossan train we got at rush hour later on in the day had 6 carriages and about 17 people on the whole train.  

If you wanted a better train service then you shouldn’t have chosen to live in an irrelevant teuchter outpost tbh.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The lack of carriages leaving Inverness going south is a joke.  2 on the Inverness to Edinburgh train.  On what planet is that enough?  The Glasgow Central to Ardrossan train we got at rush hour later on in the day had 6 carriages and about 17 people on the whole train.  

We take a row of seats each down in Ayrshire. 

On 06/04/2019 at 13:45, welshbairn said:

This is all it really comes down to, although they put a flappy purple thing over the head-rest and offer a weak cup of tea to make it look superior.  That and maybe a Scotsman newspaper worth a monster £1.50.  I used to get free upgrades to First Class at weekends and never bothered as there was nothing really to be gained other than secluded silence.  Table and seat sizes are no different to the rest of the train.

Would be great to treat the First Class section as a creche, buying one's self a standard ticket to stand one side of the door whilst keeping a watching eye on the kids through the glass as they blast out Peppa Pig on their tablets through there instead.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Scotrail used to do advance tickets for First Class for £10. However it looks like they've canned those and the cheapest advance ticket you can get for First Class now is £45 which, as mentioned above, is a piss take for what you get.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

If you wanted a better train service then you shouldn’t have chosen to live in an irrelevant teuchter outpost tbh.

^^^Scotrail Director of Communication

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Not a lot Scotrail can do about that whilst they train drivers/crew on the HSTs and wait for more refurbished trains to arrive (only got 3/26 of them so far). They're using some unrefurbished HSTs to make up some of the numbers. Think they are more likely to be seen on between Edinburgh and Aberdeen though.

On 06/04/2019 at 13:39, Fuctifano said:

On a shortish journey like Glasgow to Edinburgh first class is just to stay away from the plebs, but on the refurbished HSTs there are better seats and a better complementary food/drink offering. Never going to be as good values for money as LNER unless they drop prices to encourage people into first class.

Any Scotrail riders suffered with a train running out of Diesel or crashing into the platform buffers ?

48 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Any Scotrail riders suffered with a train running out of Diesel or crashing into the platform buffers ?

Nope never have you got your whiplash claim in yet?