Scotrail

ScottR96

It's the sheer price of travel that puts me off scotrail. OK its short notice but had a look at getting the train down to Glasgow for the Dons game against Hamilton on Wednesday next week. £48 return. Can do the same journey on the bus for half the price and it only takes half an hour longer. The £48 is at advance single prices as well. How on earth can they justify that for a five hour round trip. Intercity rail prices are a joke. The hour round trip from Glasgow to Hamilton will cost a fiver return and that's the standard fare.

Guest bernardblack

The carriages issue really annoys me. 540 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is arguably the busiest service on that line of the day....two carriages

6 hours ago, bernardblack said:

The carriages issue really annoys me. 540 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is arguably the busiest service on that line of the day....two carriages

I don't think that's the norm though. I often get the train from Inverness to Edinburgh which leaves a couple of minutes after the Aberdeen one and it's normally sitting at the "back" of the platform and both typically have 3 carriages each.

It does result in a fair few folk waiting to get on the Inverness train not realising there are two separate trains at the same platform going to two different locations.

Bit of a tangent, but who designs the train interiors. You know, the seats and lighting and carpets, etc. Which obscure government department oversees this?

Scotrail are running what look like old 125 Inter City trains and the person who has been responsible for specifying the refurbishment of the carriages has fully embraced the austerity theme of the last 10 years. The lighting is very harsh, the seats are uncomfortable and they just look, well...shit.

They look like the sort of train carriages that would come about if a committee  of civil servants were responsible for the refurbishment specification.

and it’s not just Scotrail, most of the modern trains have absolutely horrible design features. 

The Scotrail 3 carriage ones (not sure what they are called) are actually quite well designed relative to most of the other trains I see.

Edited by Scary Bear

Bit of a tangent, but who designs the train interiors. You know, the seats and lighting and carpets, etc. Which obscure government department oversees this?
Scotrail are running what look like old 125 Inter City trains and the person who has been responsible for specifying the refurbishment of the carriages has fully embraced the austerity theme of the last 10 years. The lighting is very harsh, the seats are uncomfortable and they just look, well...shit.
They look like the sort of train carriages that would come about if a committee  of civil servants were responsible for the refurbishment specification.
and it’s not just Scotrail, most of the modern trains have absolutely horrible design features. 
The Scotrail 3 carriage ones (not sure what they are called) are actually quite well designed relative to most of the other trains I see.
It is usually who has the franchise desides the interior. Ifbthe HST had the old style doors(handles on the outside) it was the First Great Western franchise that decided them. If it was the one and only refurbished set it was Scotrail. The DMUs are a mixture of the manufacturer (layout) and who was in charge of the franchise at the time of delivery or latest refurbishment.
The only train that is different is the new trains that both LNER and GWR are getting the now with the dft deciding the interiors

21 hours ago, RiG said:

It does result in a fair few folk waiting to get on the Inverness train not realising there are two separate trains at the same platform going to two different locations.

Made that mistake once going to an away game at Falkirk. Got on the train that I thought was going to Grahamston and panic set in when it pulled away from the platform five minutes early. Spoke to the conductor who advised I was on the wrong train. Had to get off at Larbert and get another train heading towards Edinburgh. Thankfully made the game in time :lol: 

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It was definitely a refurbished train you were on?

The most I've interacted with them was drunkenly asking why Neilston appears as on the boards.  
It's because idiots confuse it with Newton, apparently.
They confuse it with Carlisle as well believe it or not. Morons.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I follow Scotrail on Twitter for service updates, but I've always wondered, these folk that tweet them that fawning shite aren't real people are they?

I used to follow some absolute VL on Twitter who would tweet Scotrail guff like "Just stopping at Glasgow QS for a coffee and couldn't believe it when I saw 158705 on the 1BH3S service this evening! Incredible!"

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It was definitely a refurbished train you were on?

Definitely. The new carriages, such as the new Glasgow to Edinburgh trains are okay in terms of specification. Seats could be a bit better, but they’re okay.

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

It is usually who has the franchise desides the interior. Ifbthe HST had the old style doors(handles on the outside) it was the First Great Western franchise that decided them. If it was the one and only refurbished set it was Scotrail. The DMUs are a mixture of the manufacturer (layout) and who was in charge of the franchise at the time of delivery or latest refurbishment.
The only train that is different is the new trains that both LNER and GWR are getting the now with the dft deciding the interiors

I’ll take a photo of it next time i’m on it. It’s  a really bad refurb of an old set of carriages. I’d need sunglasses on to cope with the lighting. 

Edited by Scary Bear

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I used to follow some absolute VL on Twitter who would tweet Scotrail guff like "Just stopping at Glasgow QS for a coffee and couldn't believe it when I saw 158705 on the 1BH3S service this evening! Incredible!"

So who is the bigger VL here? The trainspotter or the trainspotter-spotter?

So who is the bigger VL here? The trainspotter or the trainspotter-spotter?

I’m no trainspotter, but I’m glad trainspotters have trains to spot, and that all the boy trainspotters get it on with all the girl trainspotters and make little baby trainspotters. I accept, however, that it is unlikely.