Scotrail

ScottR96

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sundays have always been a shite day for trains. The buses between the central belt and Aberdeen/Inverness take about the same time, cost less and are much more reliable in normal road conditions.

City Link Gold FTW.  All the tablet and Irn Bru you can consume.

I was looking up the bus from Inverness to Aberdeen last week. The Megabus takes over four hours!
There's no Megabus on that route. Just the plain old Stagecoach 10 service that goes off the A96 to call in at every little hamlet along the way.

They really should have a Megabus that stops at Nairn, Elgin and Inverurie that's it. Suspect if/when the route is dualled they'll start a Megabus route. But that's years away.

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

There's no Megabus on that route. Just the plain old Stagecoach 10 service that goes off the A96 to call in at every little hamlet along the way.

They really should have a Megabus that stops at Nairn, Elgin and Inverurie that's it. Suspect if/when the route is dualled they'll start a Megabus route. But that's years away.

You can buy Megabus tickets for Inverness to Aberdeen, but it shares the same buses as the number 10 service

37 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

You can buy Megabus tickets for Inverness to Aberdeen, but it shares the same buses as the number 10 service

Aye but sadly still no Megabus / direct service itself. I got it once when I was at Uni as they used to sell tickets for £1. After an eternity got close to Forres and was relieved thinking there could only be about 30 minutes of the journey left but the bus had other ideas and turned off the A96 and went to Kinloss for about 20 minutes.

For my work trips to Inverness, I've recently preferred to use the bus from Glasgow. At 3.5 hours, similar time to the train. Only two stops and one of those merely to change the "host" who dishes out the coffee/irn-bru/biscuits. Quieter than the train, comfortable seats, charging points and wifi. And I have a bus pass.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

For my work trips to Inverness, I've recently preferred to use the bus from Glasgow. At 3.5 hours, similar time to the train. Only two stops and one of those merely to change the "host" who dishes out the coffee/irn-bru/biscuits. Quieter than the train, comfortable seats, charging points and wifi. And I have a bus pass.

That's the Gold Citylink service that's usually fully booked by pensioners looking for a day out somewhere warm and a free coffee and biscuit. Some of the Stagecoach busses stop fucking everywhere, even veering off the A9 finding wee villages.

That's the Gold Citylink service that's usually fully booked by pensioners looking for a day out somewhere warm and a free coffee and biscuit. Some of the Stagecoach busses stop fucking everywhere, even veering off the A9 finding wee villages.

Maybe P&Bers are also looking for a day out somewhere warm (Inverness?) and a free coffee/Iran-Bru/biscuit?

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Maybe P&Bers are also looking for a day out somewhere warm (Inverness?) and a free coffee/Iran-Bru/biscuit?

The warm place I meant was the bus, cosier than sitting in the library or at home in austerity Britain, and only 50p a ticket.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Actually I don't think they do the the really slow ones anymore, had a quick look. Hopped on one a few years back and it took a full 5 hours from Inverness to Glasgow. Only cost a fiver though.

The buses might advertise a journey of 3.5 hours from Glasgow to Inverness but that never happens. As shite as Scotrail can be, you're a lunatic if you're picking the bus over the train for any reason other than price.

It's not an exaggeration to say that a bus journey up/down the A9 is literally the worst journey ever in the history of travel. 

Yoda, you sir are talking bollocks. I've travelled on the late Saturday night bus from Inverness to Glasgow on the Megabus many a time ( the sleeper to London service ) and it's a first class service. Quiet, bags of room, spacious leather seats, power points and wi-fi.
One stop at Aviemore, never been late once, bang on 3h 35min.
And a free snack.
Use the daily services as well, which are obviously busier, but still provide a reliable service.
You need to plan your journey a bit better. 5 hrs on the A9, lol

5 hours ago, yoda said:

The buses might advertise a journey of 3.5 hours from Glasgow to Inverness but that never happens. As shite as Scotrail can be, you're a lunatic if you're picking the bus over the train for any reason other than price.

It's not an exaggeration to say that a bus journey up/down the A9 is literally the worst journey ever in the history of travel. 

Yours is the exact opposite of my experience, yoda. Several journeys over the last year, always on time. My work in Inverness would usually be done by 4 and I book on the 5:30 bus. Couple of pints in the Black Isle Bar (there's a functioning pisser on the bus) relaxed, comfortable journey - always into Glasgow in time for me to catch the 9:00 bus to Ayr.

Try doing it at Christmas. When it’s full. And you’ve got a hangover. And Drumochter is like the Pass of Caradhras. 

Still preferable to being stuck on a train which isn't moving because there's cattle/deer/leaves (sigh) on the line and your surrounded in a crowded carriage with standing room only by a drunken hen party of wailing banshees heading to Glasgow.