Scotrail

ScottR96

Scotrail also compensate via their delay repay scheme for any delay in excess of 30mins . It's dead easy online just need to follow their instructions to the letter and they pay compensation usually without question. Winter is worse than summer on the Ayr line but it's generally ok.

I have the dubious pleasure of having to take two trains to get to work. And if you think ScotRail is bad, wait until you have to rely on CrossCountry trains. They're usually late, always boggin' and never enough seats for the amount of people travelling.

ScotRail's pricing is a bit of a bewilderment, it is cheaper to get a return ticket between Dunbar and Linlithgow than Dunbar to Edinburgh. An extra two trains and 50 miles for nearly two quid less. Go figure.

As has been said earlier the Delay Repay scheme is good, though at the time the delays are a pain, and they pay up pretty promptly.

Travelling by train can be pretty shite but it still beats trying to get round the Edinburgh City Bypass.

Got the 7.00 train from Crewe to Derby one Monday morning.

You'd think this train would be packed with commuters.

And yes it was. So they'd laid on a ONE CARRIAGE COACH. Even the most dismal under-used train journeys in Scotland warrant at least two coaches.

No better feeling than bumping the train.

Used to live in Larbert, 5 minute journey to Falkirk for free, glorious.

The days before the gates were fantastic. If we were playing Hearts or Hibs away there would be certain trains from Dunfermline that you could bump.

Earlier this season at Stenny away me and a friend (who occasionally posts on here) had a pint in Stirling before continuing on to Larbert. We saw the conductor and ran up the train giggling like children and managed to avoid him (I only booked us tickets to/from Stirling to save about £3.70 each as I know Larbert doesn't have gates).

No better feeling than bumping the train.

Used to live in Larbert, 5 minute journey to Falkirk for free, glorious.

Done it numerous times from Lenzie > Croy whenever Clyde had a midweek game (buses from my house to Broadwood and vice versa stopped at 5pm).

The first ever time I went down to a Blackburn game, our train from Blackburn > Preston was delayed meaning we missed the connecting train from Preston > Glasgow. As this was the last train and we had return tickets the only option was a detour to Lancaster where Virgin trains provided a taxi. Jammed in this taxi was me, my mate and a couple in their 50s who were also on our late train hence missing the connecting one. Utterly soul destroying.

Edited by C. Muir

I forgot pricing in my cons.

The fact you still have to do fucking stupid split journey tickets is a pain in the arse.

Why is Dundee-Perth Perth - Glasgow cheaper than a direct train?

See also splitting Dundee - Edinburgh at Inverkeithing

for hearts away i done dundee > leuchars > edinburgh and saved at least a tenner, crazy

Scotrail is heaven compared to whoever was running the trains in Kent through the early Nineties. Half the trains late or cancelled, no weekend service, and I must've ended up on hundreds of replacement bus services, to the point that it really seemed like they were thinking about shutting the rail network down and moving to coaches instead. They were also good at the previously-mentioned train cancellation due to a lack of drivers; not an uncommon occurrence. And then sometimes the driver would turn up pished, derail the train, and demolish an entire station :rolleyes:

By contrast, it's always entertaining to hear the bitter, venomous anger that comes out of commuters on the London Underground when a train is cancelled and they have to wait another four minutes for the next one :lol:

The Borders Railway needs to improve. Always overcrowded, cancelled trains, only 2 carriages.

You basically could get away with bumping the train if it's packed which it usually is. Plus they have no gates.

Edited by Eoin Doyle

I commute from Glasgow to Edinburgh for work and for the most part it's ok.

My main gripes are:

1/ The cost of it. Astronomical pricing to travel between the two biggest cities in the country. Sadly there's no choice but to suck it up. It is particularly bitter when you pay a fortune and end up travelling on a train that's freezing, damp and looks like it was nicked out the transport museum.

2/ Minimal carriages at rush hour. Take last Friday for example. I leave work and go and get the train just after 5 o'clock between Waverley & Glasgow. Understandably a very high demand route at that time of day. The train pulls up, lo and behold two carriages. This resulted in the carriages that were there being absolutely packed. I ended up sat on the luggage rack for half the journey, people standing the whole length of

the carriage.

Edit to add: FWIW it's better than First Great Western who I had to use when I was away with work. They're a fucking shambles. And I won't even get started on the bus service from Arriva The Shires.

Edited by well fan for life

I don't use the train that often, but have never had any issues with regards to time, service or comfort. My usual journeys are between Aberdeen and Edinburgh/Glasgow or between Milngavie and Glasgow Central/Queen St.

I've also found the Scotrail Twitter account helpful when I've used it to ask any questions. There's some amount of abuse that gets dished out to them but I think the staff, for the most part, try their best.

Only time I've ever been delayed was coming back from Tynecastle this month when a group of Dons fans were periodically removed from the train in Kirkcaldy, Stonehaven and Portlethen for boozing.