Scotrail

ScottR96

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

As predicted, plus his traditional red dot. So, let’s make a note that Vikingwang has clearly stated that using “shorthand measures” that provide “highly similar results” are valid, so the next time (probably later today) he gets pedantic, and attacks someone about not being exactly correct, he can blow it out his arse.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

Which part of the conclusions are wrong exactly? Be extremely specific.

Never one to disappoint.

• 3 weeks later...

Conductor on my train home from work today was a complete p***k. 

Three wee guys about 14/15 got on and sat across from me. They had return tickets from Motherwell to Glasgow - it was those big f**k off tickets with the QR code on them, which as far as I know you can only get off a member of staff so presumably whoever sold them to the boys on the way in fucked up and gave them tickets that were only valid on the Cross Country trains that go through Motherwell. The guy then took the 3 tickets, scrunched them up and put them in his pocket meaning they couldn’t get through the barriers at Motherwell without buying another 3 off him. So unnecessary - a quick word in passing letting them know to look out for it in future would’ve been sufficient as it clearly wasn’t their fault as far as I could see. 

Thankfully a guy in another carriage came through to let the conductor know someone had left rucksack on the train so he fucked off to deal with that. Still had their tickets so the boys had to wait on to the next stop where there’s no barriers. Jobsworth p***k. 

11 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

presumably whoever sold them to the boys on the way in fucked up and gave them tickets that were only valid on the Cross Country trains that go through Motherwell.

Presumably a Cross Country employee, in which case it's not a f**k up?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Presumably a Cross Country employee, in which case it's not a f**k up?

If they got on at Motherwell they would’ve needed it to get through the barrier so I’m assuming they bought it off the person manning the gates. Regardless of how they ended up with that type of ticket, it looked pretty obvious it was an honest mistake at worst and the conductor’s reaction was completely OTT. It still would’ve worked on the barriers, so all that was required, if anything, was pointing it out so they knew for future reference. 

20 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

If they got on at Motherwell they would’ve needed it to get through the barrier so I’m assuming they bought it off the person manning the gates. Regardless of how they ended up with that type of ticket, it looked pretty obvious it was an honest mistake at worst and the conductor’s reaction was completely OTT. It still would’ve worked on the barriers, so all that was required, if anything, was pointing it out so they knew for future reference. 

I agree the conductor has gone OTT but maybe he’s dealt with them on more than one occasion and felt it wasn’t quite as innocent a mistake as it appeared to you.

I don’t believe Scotrail employees can sell Cross Country tickets so if your assumption is correct then they surely must have bought it on a Cross Country train?

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree the conductor has gone OTT but maybe he’s dealt with them on more than one occasion and felt it wasn’t quite as innocent a mistake as it appeared to you.

I don’t believe Scotrail employees can sell Cross Country tickets so if your assumption is correct then they surely must have bought it on a Cross Country train?

It’s possible they got on a Cross Country train at Wishaw (no barriers) and bought a ticket on the train, as there’s no way they could’ve got on at Motherwell without a ticket. I assumed they got on at Motherwell as the guy was insisting that they got off there, but that could have been so they had no option but to buy another ticket.

If that is the case then they’ve probably jumped on the first train they’ve seen headed for Glasgow not thinking anything of it and paid their money in good faith. Aye, he might have had previous with them but I didn’t get that impression. It looked to me like he’s just decided to throw the book at them. They weren’t being disruptive at any point either, I could maybe have seen his point if they were acting like dicks the whole journey, or had complaints about them from other passengers but they just sat there talking among themselves. 

It definitely could’ve been handled so much better imo, but the guy just couldn’t be reasoned with. 

I'm finding the info on the scotrail app somewhat confusing,you get the impression trains from Inverness to the central belt aren't running south of Perth due to some issues Perth to Stirling,but other trains running on that line apparently

Also what defines minor and major disruption?all trains being cancelled from Inverness to wick is classified as minor

6 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

It’s possible they got on a Cross Country train at Wishaw (no barriers) and bought a ticket on the train, as there’s no way they could’ve got on at Motherwell without a ticket. I assumed they got on at Motherwell as the guy was insisting that they got off there, but that could have been so they had no option but to buy another ticket.

If that is the case then they’ve probably jumped on the first train they’ve seen headed for Glasgow not thinking anything of it and paid their money in good faith. Aye, he might have had previous with them but I didn’t get that impression. It looked to me like he’s just decided to throw the book at them. They weren’t being disruptive at any point either, I could maybe have seen his point if they were acting like dicks the whole journey, or had complaints about them from other passengers but they just sat there talking among themselves. 

It definitely could’ve been handled so much better imo, but the guy just couldn’t be reasoned with. 

Motherwell is the only station between Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central they call at.

Something doesn't add up to make it the innocent mistake you believed it to be.

RE the ticket inspector not just having s word - Scotrail would get no money from their journey if they had a Cross Country ticket so can understand them not allowing them to travel on their ticket.

That doesn't give him the right to confiscate the ticket though. That he did suggests maybe it was an old ticket and they were at it.

9 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Am I missing somethng here, but aren't tickets sold on the basis of any valid route?

1 minute ago, Peil said:

Am I missing somethng here, but aren't tickets sold on the basis of any valid route?

We're pretty shielded from this up here due to Scotrail being the operator of almost every train, but no, not all tickets are valid on all trains.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

We're pretty shielded from this up here due to Scotrail being the operator of almost every train, but no, not all tickets are valid on all trains.

I genuinely did not know that