Scotrail

ScottR96

How are they going to stop drunk folk getting on a train? The vast majority of the time you aren't 'checked' getting on to a train. You simply scan your ticket at the barrier/put your ticket in the machine at the barrier then walk on and grab a seat. 

I suspect that, like the drinking ban, this will not only be almost never enforced, but is pretty much impossible to enforce save for very rare occasions.

Do these p***ks not realise that a HUGE part of the reason for train use at nights and weekends is the avoidance of driving so folk can have a drink.

They really are coming out of this looking like absolute melts, whether it's going to be enforced or not.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Do these p***ks not realise that a HUGE part of the reason for train use at nights and weekends is the avoidance of driving so folk can have a drink.

They really are coming out of this looking like absolute melts, whether it's going to be enforced or not.

You're ultimately dealing here with a government that once allowed pubs to open on the proviso that they didn't serve any alcohol. 

It's all a dystopian dream for a perfectly safe and sanitised world where nothing unexpected or a bit rowdy ever happens, children aren't allowed to play outside, but people live a few years longer, alone and unloved.

30 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You're ultimately dealing here with a government that once allowed pubs to open on the proviso that they didn't serve any alcohol. 

Or play music 

On 29/07/2022 at 21:35, 54_and_counting said:

And yet they continue to be voted in for some reason 

They do theirselves no favours at all. I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I choose to believe its an easy out and 99% of folk will be left alone.

I choose to believe this as I would get too annoyed otherwise 

Yeah nothing that's been announced today has changed how I (and I'd assume most folk) feel in regards to drinking and getting pulled up for anything. 

The bad looks you'd get off the text the BTP mob are never for everyone and anyone drinking either though- the 50 y.o plus wifeys with their prosecco, wee cups and Thai sweet chilli sensations wont have an eyelid batted but lord forbid someone has a 4 pack. 

It's for me triggered an annoyance off the back of the way covid was handled up here of feeling like rules are put in place that achieve nothing other than making folk turn their noise up at others feeling morally superior. 

11 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

I voted yes in the last referendum and up to the last election always voted SNP but have no intention to do it again as they're currently being run. Covid has been the single most important issue in my life and I completely disagree with the way the handled almost the entire thing, they can ram it. 

29 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I voted yes in the last referendum and up to the last election always voted SNP but have no intention to do it again as they're currently being run. Covid has been the single most important issue in my life and I completely disagree with the way the handled almost the entire thing, they can ram it. 

Completely agree, which is why I dinghied my party membership and then spoiled the council election ballot due to all four options being risible.

That all said, the ball has been rolling on these sort of issues ever since devolution was introduced. Any professional victim lobby/ prohibition group like 'Alcohol Focus Scotland' gets the open door treatment at Holyrood to deliver their Helen Lovejoy act, in part because the Parliament doesn't have full powers to focus on what matters. So it legislates for what doesn't instead and massively restricts our rights. 

Though the fact that New Zealand and Sturgeon's political idol are battering on with a ridiculous cigarette ban on selected age groups suggests that independence is not the automatic solution to this wet wipe mindset either.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I choose to believe its an easy out and 99% of folk will be left alone.

I choose to believe this as I would get too annoyed otherwise 

I think most people do get left alone but even then all that does is give the conductors license to pick on the easy targets.

Either way it’s a load of fucking shite.

8 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 

Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.

At what point do they refuse travel? You aren't checked before you get on so I guess they are saying they would fling some steamers off the train in the middle of nowhere quite possibly late at night.

Aye that's definitely the best way to make sure folk aren't a danger to themselves or others.

Pretty much this. At the beginning of Covid I thought they handled it better than the c***s down the road but somehow said c***s ended up doing it better than the SNP; which says just how badly the SNP fucked it up. f**k knows how badly they'd nanny us if they had full power. Arseholes.

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

They do theirselves no favours st all. I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

Im the same, there seems to be too many people in scotland who fall for their nonsense every election, 

I get a lot of voters now still harbour resentment at the tories for the early 90's, and labour dont have a clue what they want to do now, but it shouldn't stop the current scotgov being held accountable to the absolute disasters they have made and are going to make 

8 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

They do theirselves no favours st all. I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

Should be getting a red dot for that t.b.h.

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 
Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.
That rule has been in place for years. A crowd of us had a few beers coming back up from Haydock races a few years ago. Got to Central and we had a while to wait for what was the last Ayr train. A couple of our group went out front for a smoke and one of the guys tripped and fell. Station staff then decided he was "too drunk" to travel. We were arguing with the duty manager for a good 5m but he was not going to let him travel and was telling us he would need to find alternative transport (taxi to Irvine was £70 ffs). At that point 2 BTP appeared, pulled the guy aside and a few seconds later he came back telling us we were all piling into a couple of taxis to Paisley to catch the exact same train he wasn't allowed to board at Central. Basically the BTP told him to do this as in their opinion the station manager was being a p***k but they couldn't force him to let us board. A total farce that basically cost us an extra fiver each and made 2 taxi drivers £20 fares to Paisley.

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How are they going to stop drunk folk getting on a train? The vast majority of the time you aren't 'checked' getting on to a train. You simply scan your ticket at the barrier/put your ticket in the machine at the barrier then walk on and grab a seat. 

I suspect that, like the drinking ban, this will not only be almost never enforced, but is pretty much impossible to enforce save for very rare occasions.

I'm ashamed to admit that the man at the ticket turnstile said he wouldn't let me go down stairs to a low level platform. He compromised though and put me in the lift.

Everybody was happy in the end...except the other passengers listening to me snoring. I got off at the right stop, which is always a bonus.