Scotrail

ScottR96

On 10/07/2022 at 11:11, invergowrie arab said:

The last paragraph is nonsense. CEOs are utterly dispensible which is why they are dispensed with so often. Usually as the first course of action in the face of trouble.

Companies can do this as there is a mandarin class of CEOs of FTSE 500 companies and another will be along in minute. 

It's a conceit that everyone at board level is in on.

Yea, the p&o ferries debacle seems like a good recent example. Politicians get to look tough for the cameras and grill an executive, executive eats the shit and admits they didnt care about legal obligations to consult unions, exec either survives and continues to coin it in or gets a great payoff for falling on their sword and still coins it in. They shrug it off alan partridge style and move on to the next racket. 

Corporate manslaughter is arguably an exception to the """risks""" they take as no-one really wants that on their cv but afaik its pretty rare for anyone to ever get charged with it in the uk.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lol wut?

5% which they accepted instead of 4.2% which they rejected 2 months ago is a difference of 0.8%

0.8% of £50k is £400 per year or £33 per month.

On £50k all of that increase will be taxed at 40% with NI thrown in.

What did I miss?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You know fine well it wasn't all about pay (it's been posted numerous times).

Stop playing these silly games.

You are kidding yourself.

This was all about money and you know it.

Without bothering my arse to do too much digging,  how the f**k has the dispute been resolved with Scotrail still reliant on overtime?  Surely the main aim from their point of view would be to implement a 7 day modern rota?

5% which they accepted instead of 4.2% which they rejected 2 months ago is a difference of 0.8%
What did I miss?

Got you. Though if it's a case of just an extra £33 a month it makes you wonder why folk were getting their knickers in such a twist when the 4.2% was knocked back.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Without bothering my arse to do too much digging,  how the f**k has the dispute been resolved with Scotrail still reliant on overtime?  Surely the main aim from their point of view would be to implement a 7 day modern rota?

Because the union rep already said that while they are more than happy to give up their overtime they'd want paid for it anyway.

They'll never give that bargaining chip up because it means they can do this as often as they like.

47 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What did I miss?

The extra money for working rest days.  The extra money for working Sundays.  The £2.5k per year if Scotrail hits financial targets.

This deal is worth way more than the 5% headline.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Got you. Though if it's a case of just an extra £33 a month it makes you wonder why folk were getting their knickers in such a twist when the 4.2% was knocked back.

Because they were demanding almost twice that and threatening to strike until they got it.

13 hours ago, MotownClic said:

So is the £195 monthly target bonus.

For getting to the right destination on time?

12 hours ago, superbigal said:

Presumably when all the newly trained drivers hit the tracks in due course, then overtime (which I assume has a premium) will be binned ?

Aye, that'll be right.

"How is that new guy working Sunday, that was always my shift"?

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I'm sure I heard last night that Scotrail are looking to recruit an additional 200 drivers. I've not dug too deep either but Scotgov has only just taken this back into state ownership and if the previous private operator used a model which relied on fewer drivers (staff in general) and more overtime, that's going to take time to resolve.

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

The extra money for working rest days.  The extra money for working Sundays.  The £2.5k per year if Scotrail hits financial targets.

This deal is worth way more than the 5% headline.

We should hope that's not the case.

The Scottish government are on the hook for funding half of this pay rise meaning public service cuts (as I warned right at the start of this discussion).

There will have to be fare increases to pay for the rest of it.

On 20/06/2022 at 10:28, strichener said:

Congratulations on your first post! 

I am really interested on where there is a statement that the public sector consists of higher skilled workers.  I think you may be misunderstanding the words that you are reading.  If anything the report content would imply the exact opposite of that.

I look forward to your second post which might even be able to show some evidence of a half truth or misinformation.  I have my doubts.

Sure, apologies for delay, was away on holiday and I left you questioning your indefatigability (which I salute)!

Grauniad summary: https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/mar/27/public-private-sector-pay

ONS publication : https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20160107050914/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lmac/public-and-private-sector-earnings/2012/estimating-differences-in-public-and-private-sector-pay.html#tab-Differences-between-the-public-and-private-sectors

Due an update this year so we can shortly have the same argument over again, which I know you love!

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We should hope that's not the case.

The Scottish government are on the hook for funding half of this pay rise meaning public service cuts (as I warned right at the start of this discussion).

There will have to be fare increases to pay for the rest of it.

But power to the people and unions and all that bollocks

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

But power to the people and unions and all that bollocks

And the very people who actually believe in that principle will be the first in line to complain when fares rise and public service cuts are made to pay for it all - as though the two things are somehow not connected.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And the very people who actually believe in that principle will be the first in line to complain when fares rise and public service cuts are made to pay for it all - as though the two things are somehow not connected.

Shouldn't be much of a price hike to pay a few drivers an extra £33 a month, should it?