Scotrail

ScottR96

I'm confused about this.
I thought the ban was simply a Scotrail policy rather than the law. For example, I was on a non-Scotrail train up to Inverness a few weeks back now and people were openly drinking with no issue as it wasn't Scotrail.
So, on what basis are the police confiscating these drinks? As far as I'm aware this is policy rather than law, but I'm legally clueless, so can anyone advise?
It's a tad disingenuous to be linking that confiscation to the Scotrail ban. The large volumes of unopened alcohol being pictured in the media are being seized at stations in Ayrshire yes but it's being seized as part of the Safer Shores scheme which is designed to prevent drinking in public (mostly the beaches) in the likes of Troon, Irvine and Ayr. Yes it's being seized at search barriers put in place at stations but it's the destination stations not Central where most boarded so in effect the seized booze has already been on the trains.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scotrail request the police to enforce it. 

I asked a policeman on the way back from a game in Inverness once. Scotrail put in a request to police Scotland and they’ll send out people to do it, presumably at a cost. 

Cheers. That still just seems weird to me.

Drinking on trains isn't illegal, I can drink on a Virgin train. Seems a bit funny that an organisation can get the police to enforce a policy for them.

But there we go.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Drinking on trains isn't illegal, I can drink on a Virgin train. Seems a bit funny that an organisation can get the police to enforce a policy for them.

But there we go.

Aye I find it odd for a blanket policy. when I asked it was for a specific train from Inverness to Aberdeen due to the fact the trains to Inverness in the Morning had been ruined. 

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

But there we go.

From the choice of drinks it looks like much of it could have been confiscated from underage drinkers.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyway, this alcohol ban isn’t really serious is it?

More of a confiscating off the neds etc but us sensible adults will just be a nod and a wink, yes? 

Im ok with that. 

This is the thing old guys on the train probably won't get any hassle, young folk probably will. 

I guess some of the drink seized was off kids or folk causing hassle but you just know when the rugby rolls round posh folk pissing in the street won't have their hippers confiscated.

Anyway, this alcohol ban isn’t really serious is it?
More of a confiscating off the neds etc but us sensible adults will just be a nod and a wink, yes? 
Im ok with that. 
But neddish behaviour should be policed as such, and it shouldnt suddenly become illegal to be in possession of a can or bottle with a % in it because I have stepped onto a nationalised rail service we are being pushed towards using in lieu of cars.

Pre empting anti social behaviour based on the fact you want a beer and literally taking it off people is lunacy and even in your scenario, it becomes a nonsense gamble for even Jack with 4 sealed cans of Fusilier to go and see Victor

Before the ban they used to, eh, ban, drinking on certain services. The Sunday night to Aberdeen east coast was one. When Scotland played at Murrayfield was strangely one. Trains to/from Ayr when the races were on was one (got caught out coming back from Stranraer on that one! had had a couple of cans from Stranraer to Ayr and had a 30 minute stop at Ayr, so fired in to the town centre for more cans for the onward legs; had to chuck them all in the bin or the police wouldn't let me through the barriers!). Certain trains when Scotland were playing at Hampden were another. And of course trains to Ayr beach were always targeted in the summer.

All very silly.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But neddish behaviour should be policed as such, and it shouldnt suddenly become illegal to be in possession of a can or bottle with a % in it because I have stepped onto a nationalised rail service we are being pushed towards using in lieu of cars.

Pre empting anti social behaviour based on the fact you want a beer and literally taking it off people is lunacy and even in your scenario, it becomes a nonsense gamble for even Jack with 4 sealed cans of Fusilier to go and see Victor

I wasn’t actually being particularly serious. I’m getting a train this week for the first time in ages and quite fancy a couple. 

The rule is absolutely shite and is quite typical of Scotland where we just ban things at the expense of actual customer experience.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wasn’t actually being particularly serious. I’m getting a train this week for the first time in ages and quite fancy a couple. 

The rule is absolutely shite and is quite typical of Scotland where we just ban things at the expense of actual customer experience.

Yeah I know, but your jest genuinely is the attitude a lot of folk have, which is why we get nonsense laws passed 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'll be absolutely fine. The ban is not enforced save for publicity like the photo above and the odd conductor. I've been on plenty of trains back from the football since the ban came in to place and never had any issues with having a few cans, and have seen plenty of other folk openely drinking too.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Unopened ffs 

The confiscating of it is bad enough but to then stand there beside it grinning like a pair of gormless clowns, as if this is what they got into policing for, is really the cherry on top.

Fucking gimps.

The confiscating of it is bad enough but to then stand there beside it grinning like a pair of gormless clowns, as if this is what they got into policing for, is really the cherry on top.
Fucking gimps.
Though I don't disagree with your point if that constitutes grinning to you I'd hate to see the sour faces you hang around with...

Did enjoy Scotrail piping up about how the ban has reduced anti social behaviour.

I'd be stunned if ASB was at pre 2020 levels given that there are less people using trains than previously, there was a period where you couldn't travel into town for a pint because indoor drinking was banned, and they've not been running anything close to a functioning train service for months.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Larbert to Glasgow return 8 quid.

Upgrade the return due to it falling on peak time, 5.40.

Il be pleased to recoup that via future bumpings.

Not this again!

I'd actually forgotten that on Cup Final Morning back in May me and a few mates had started with a few cans and a fry-up in a friend's house. We then got the train into Glasgow late morning to go to the pub. East Kilbride to Glasgow. Openly drinking cans and the conductor's only comment was that he hoped our team won.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm confused about this.

I thought the ban was simply a Scotrail policy rather than the law. For example, I was on a non-Scotrail train up to Inverness a few weeks back now and people were openly drinking with no issue as it wasn't Scotrail.

So, on what basis are the police confiscating these drinks? As far as I'm aware this is policy rather than law, but I'm legally clueless, so can anyone advise?

Confiscated from Neds probably. 

On the train from Inverness to Glasgow on Saturday morning, there were quite a few folk openly drinking, but they were all behaving absolutely fine and the conductor was happy to turn a blind eye. The air con had failed on our carriage, so I could have done with a can or two myself by the time the train got into Queen Street.