Scotrail

ScottR96

On 23/06/2022 at 15:49, RiffRaff said:

Getting this thread back on track; it looks like Scotrail are bringing back their normal timetable from the first week in July, RMT strikes permitting.

mourinho-shaking-head.gif.ea2b5d1a2cc4d6d03013d8fddff08877.gif

Still the same garbage service with no end in sight.

What happened to the three week reviews to the timetable that Sturgeon insisted would remove disruption to passengers as soon as possible? Has the job been given to the same 'three week review' clowns who kept  nonsense Covid laws in place and banned people from leaving their local authority area for months on end?

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

£46.70 is the cheapest single from Glasgow to Aberdeen today. (Open return is £65.20)
I appreciate that there has to be a deterrent for people traveling to Aberdeen but that’s a bit steep. I didn’t want to go anyway, but now I really don’t want to go. 
Why can I get a flight to Belgium for less than a tenner but it’s nearly a full weeks giro to get to Aberdeen and back? I thought this was a wee country that people cycle round on a regular basis. 

Has it ever been affordable to buy on the day for such journeys? I mind it was £80 return from Inverkeithing to Aberdeen on the day once (thankfully I had purchased in advance for a quater of that).

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

, but an increase which keeps up with the basic costs of living should be an absolute given in a country as wealthy as the UK. 

Just a blanket cost of living pay rise doesn't work though, someone on 50 grand a year getting a RoI pay rise will see more money than someone on say 30 grand a year

Or you have someone on 100 grand a year, should they get a RoI pay rise as well

Im all for lower paid workers getting rises to help with living costs etc, but giving 200 quid a month extra to someone on 50 grand a year is a smack in the face to wee betty the cleaner on 20 grand a year getting less than 100 quid extra from the same pay rise 

Getting the train from Manchester Airport to North Wales next week and they're charging half the fare than Scotrail are for the same distance from Inverness on the Aberdeen line, likely because they're still selling advance fares down there

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I spoke to them before posting. They're OK with me using them to make a point. The chickens were a bit miffed but they got over it.

Did you ask the pigs? Some of them can get a bit uppity.

14 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Between the start of 2021 and the current day, over a quarter of a million people in the UK have became millionaires. In that same period, the richest 1% now has an average wealth of £3.6 million pounds, an increase of 40% from pre-covid data. I wonder where we should aim our anger at? Nurses, teachers, rail workers? Public sector workers who haven’t had a real terms pay increase in over 10 years? 

Even beyond public sector workers, no media output will recognise the brutal cuts to welfare that haven't been rolled back 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Just a blanket cost of living pay rise doesn't work though, someone on 50 grand a year getting a RoI pay rise will see more money than someone on say 30 grand a year

Im all for lower paid workers getting rises to help with living costs etc, but giving 200 quid a month extra to someone on 50 grand a year is a smack in the face to wee betty the cleaner on 20 grand a year getting less than 100 quid extra from the same pay rise 

Exactly why %s have been favoured by management and company owners since time began as they reward those already on more (themselves usually) and shaft those at the bottom. 

What they should do is take the combined monetary amount they have for pay awards and simply divide it by the number of employees. Everyone receives the same raise and it stops the gap between top and bottom constantly increasing. If anyone then feels their individual performance merits more outside of this they take it up with their manager and give their reasoning.

Getting the train from Manchester Airport to North Wales next week and they're charging half the fare than Scotrail are for the same distance from Inverness on the Aberdeen line, likely because they're still selling advance fares down there
Better hope it's not TPE you're travelling with or you'll be walking.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's if he can get out of Manchester Airport.

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Transport for Wales, here's hoping...

If all staff performed to the same level this would have some merit. However, there are people on this forum and elsewhere portraying skiving at work as being an honourable goal to aim for and that nobody should put in more than the bare minimum effort or work any more hours than they are strictly paid for. That's fine I suppose if that's how you want to spend your career but those same people are also complaning the loudest about high performers earning more than them. You'd need to rid people of that attitude for a start. because otherwise, implementing something like what you're suggesting would be one of the fastest ways to empty your company of any talented staff. Which I guess is fine if risking the future of your own job as a result doesn't worry you.
People should work more than they have contractually agreed and get paid for. An even clearer "real terms pay cut" than the ones frequently discussed on this thread

[emoji23]

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

How do you suggest paying for all those pay rises for drivers on more than £50k that you've been asking for if you're only charging £20 max?

Trains are a public service 

Shouldn't just be profit motivated 

Low income people should get the opportunity to see Scotland

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If all staff performed to the same level this would have some merit. However, there are people on this forum and elsewhere portraying skiving at work as being an honourable goal to aim for and that nobody should put in more than the bare minimum effort or work any more hours than they are strictly paid for. That's fine I suppose if that's how you want to spend your career but those same people are also complaning the loudest about high performers earning more than them. You'd need to rid people of that attitude for a start. because otherwise, implementing something like what you're suggesting would be one of the fastest ways to empty your company of any talented staff. Which I guess is fine if risking the future of your own job as a result doesn't worry you.

If people are earning their raises it is fine, in a lot of cases though you get some useless Engineer or other similar level employee picking up a £1500 lift on a 3% across the board rise, simply for being on 50k while not actually being any good, while you have a guy on 20k not contributing any less and his 3% is worth £600. It is also another way of pissing off good employees, albeit it will be those at the lower end.

23 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Trains are a public service 

Shouldn't just be profit motivated 

Low income people should get the opportunity to see Scotland

Think the drivers might disagree with you now seeing as part of their recent deal was about £2.5k potential if Scotrail meets financial targets.

ETA might have been 2.5% extra. Can’t be arsed to check but there was extra money based on Scotrail performance.

Edited by Left Back

In my area of the public sector, lower bracket earners have received a bigger percentage rise over several years than the top earners.
I can't say for other sectors but I'd be surprised if this hasn't been common place in most of them.