Scotrail

ScottR96

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You must have missed the phrase "years ago" in that first post you quoted.

You're an auld duffer so I'll let that slide. 😜

You should have put "again" in your second post between "than" and "use", you dopy old sod.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Are you still here? Isn't it time for your afternoon nap? 

What does "dopy" mean by the way? Is that a Northern Irish thing? Or senility kicking in?

Afternoon nap? At 5 o'clock? Don't be dopy.

See the source image

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Junior doctors demanding 22% pay rises.

Blimey! Hope the public like paying tax to cover all of this money which is going to be needed.

Tell them the first 20% has been paid in banging pots together.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

6 hours ago, ParsJake said:

😆

You're on an absolute mission with him these days.

Roy Castle - Dedication - YouTube

It genuinely used to be one of the funniest accounts on here - like Dawson Park Boy with more anger and without the pretence of stupidity.

The subtle walking-back of previous stances is a brilliant twist. They don't get enough credit for the work they put in.

Perhaps the reason for explaining government policy is now regularly done in the pages of the Telegraph rather than in the House of Commons is because he would be shredded for such utter tripe.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Perhaps the reason for explaining government policy is now regularly done in the pages of the Telegraph rather than in the House of Commons is because he would be shredded for such utter tripe.

So Shapps' article starts off by telling us that trends since Covid have proved that the public no longer essentially need or rely on the rail network, and the Unions are only damaging themselves. He goes on to end by trumpeting the billions the government are ploughing into the network, infrastructure and HS2, and also states that the government want to hold down fares, yet it is they themselves who set them? He does mention changing trends, but even so, if there is demand for a service be it commuting or leisure, it is still demand and the workers are still required, and if it is to be more weekend, leisure oriented and unsociable hrs,  then there is surely even more reason to seek a better deal? I smell shite. Inflammatory, Tory shite.

Edited by 'WellDel

22 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

So Shapps' article starts off by telling us that trends since Covid have proved that the public no longer essentially need or rely on the rail network, and the Unions are only damaging themselves. He goes on to end by trumpeting the billions the government are ploughing into the network, infrastructure and HS2, and also states that the government want to hold down fares, yet it is they themselves who set them? He does mention changing trends, but even so, if there is demand for a service be it commuting or leisure, it is still demand and the workers are still required, and if it is to be more weekend, leisure oriented and unsociable hrs,  then there is surely even more reason to seek a better deal? I smell shite. Inflammatory, Tory shite.

Shapps has proven himself to be completely unqualified for a job of this stature. Mick Lynch has managed to run rings round him on the media circuits and they haven’t even been on the same show together. 

At the end of last week he was triumphantly saying that the government had put an agency system in place in order to avert major rail disruption. I wonder where he’s going to find a bunch of agency staff qualified to carry out track repair and maintenance at a weeks notice, or train drivers who can walk off the street and start by taking the 10.52 from Euston to Manchester. Most qualified train drivers will be full time with a rail operator, and the majority of track workers will either be employed by Network Rail or an agency worker contracted to Network Rail. The guy is brainless. 

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is it only greed when the people asking for a payrise are in the 30-50k p/a bracket? Inflation is at 9.1% and many professions such as doctors and teachers haven’t had a pay rise that has kept up with CPI in years.

The world's smallest violin playing, for the but... below inflation!' pay rises experienced by the professions since 2010. 

We have the highest percentage of people in full time employment using the benefit system than ever before, does that sound like the kind of thing that should be happening in a country with the 5th highest GDP in the world? 

None of which will be full-time salaried doctors or teachers. 

Even if every single doctor and nurse in the UK got a 20% pay rise, it still wouldn’t come close to the amount of tax that companies like Amazon evade paying in the UK. Or the numerous amount of tax loopholes opened by Gordon Brown which are still being exploited today. 

Okay great - so once we get (at least some of):

• global agreement on tax obligations for MNCs like Amazon;

• the UK destroying its network of grubby tax havens in the Commonwealth;

• the EU similarly closing up Ireland and Luxembourg's rackets;

• and other unnamed 'tax loopholes' are closed up

then we'll be in a position to hand out 20% pay rises to any public sector occupation that merits one. Until that point though, we're not. 

I'm sure that professions like lawyers, doctors and teachers will now recognise that their interests lie in such a radical agenda, and will unite with the lesser plebs to vote for that program for the first time in UK political history. 

Edited by vikingTON

I think a lot of professions in Britain are underpaid compared to other countries. I’m sure junior doctors are paid less than most comparable countries, unsure about teachers and lawyers etc.

We have the highest percentage of people in full time employment using the benefit system than ever before, does that sound like the kind of thing that should be happening in a country with the 5th highest GDP in the world?

Why not? It's not exactly the poor countries who are looking at UBI.

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think they flogged them after the last strike. The brigades have to provide vehicles for use I think.. 

Wiki says you’re right 

Click

In March 2004, the British Government announced that it was conducting a test sale[3]of forty of its remaining fleet of more than nine hundred vehicles, and that it was planning to dispose of the remainder. The sale of the fleet was completed, and most of the vehicles were sold to fire brigades in developing countries, mostly in Africa.[4] Some were donated to museums, including the prototype which was placed in the Museum of RAF Firefighting. Others are in the National Emergency Services Museum, National Museum of Scotland, Kent Firefighting Museum, Leicester Fire Brigade Museum, Yorkshire Air Museum and Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre. Some were purchased by vehicle restoration trusts and some are privately owned.

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think they flogged them after the last strike. The brigades have to provide vehicles for use I think.. 

Aw that's a shame it would have fair cheered me up if the house had burnt down if they had rolled up rather than the new fangled trucks.