Scotrail

ScottR96

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Capital includes stuff like shares, bonds, property owned outright etc. It's not just cash in the bank. I have some vague recollection of there being a 5 year limit on this stuff. IE moving money and capital about, changing house ownership etc a year before someone goes into residential care wouldn't fly. 

It's seven years.

Edited by mozam76
beaten to it by the incomparable Zen

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

IIRC the period where you could hand over property to a relative for example used to be 7 years, once this time had elapsed the property was untouchable.

Just now, mozam76 said:

It's seven years.

Cheers, as i say it's not really my area. 

I had a chat with my parents about this stuff when he became terminal and mum was going to move into Sheltered Housing. Never properly looked into it though and thankfully mum's decided to stay at home and do up the house a wee bit at a time. Massively helped to take her mind off things for the first few months after he died. 

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

Cheers, as i say it's not really my area. 

I had a chat with my parents about this stuff when he became terminal and mum was going to move into Sheltered Housing. Never properly looked into it though and thankfully mum's decided to stay at home and do up the house a wee bit at a time. Massively helped to take her mind off things for the first few months after he died. 

A caveat to the timescale, if the person who signed over the property dies within the 7 years, the inheritor is liable for all sorts of shit.

42 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

A caveat to the timescale, if the person who signed over the property dies within the 7 years, the inheritor is liable for all sorts of shit.

Think it's changed a few times in recent years to make it harder and harder, meaning folk are doing this stuff when they are still relatively young, and genuinely unsure whether or not their kids are in fact, bams who will take the roof from over their head. 

Guy at my work said he had a very Frank conversation with his lawyer re being absolutely sure his kids weren't arseholes. 

The inheritance chat always divides opinion between people who stand to inherit something and people who don’t. Not really any middle ground. I stand in the former so I would just like to say f**k inheritance tax

13 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The inheritance chat always divides opinion between people who stand to inherit something and people who don’t. Not really any middle ground. I stand in the former so I would just like to say f**k inheritance tax

What about people that want to leave something?

What about people that want to leave something?
The whole thing needs a societal shift in attitudes tbh. These things take time.

Probably the best all round is to just spank all your money as best you can whilst still able to enjoy it.

It's hard though. Folk hoard, and once they have a pile they try to protect it. I think its in the category of human nature, or at least as I said before, drilled in over generations of obsession with home ownership.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The whole thing needs a societal shift in attitudes tbh. These things take time.

Probably the best all round is to just spank all your money as best you can whilst still able to enjoy it.

It's hard though. Folk hoard, and once they have a pile they try to protect it. I think its in the category of human nature, or at least as I said before, drilled in over generations of obsession with home ownership.

That’s never going to happen in the real world.  You’ll always get haves that want to keep what they’ve accumulated (by whatever means) and have nots who think the haves should be paying more tax etc.

This isn’t unique to the UK.  It’s the same across the globe.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That’s never going to happen in the real world.  You’ll always get haves that want to keep what they’ve accumulated (by whatever means) and have nots who think the haves should be paying more tax etc.

This isn’t unique to the UK.  It’s the same across the globe.

Yeah. In the end, we're all just dung beetles. Spend your whole life moving your ball of shit around watching it grow bigger, its only natural you are going to try and guard your shit ball. 

It's a hard problem to solve but ultimately, the burden of care costs aren't going anywhere. 

We can only be 2 or 3 posts away from someone stating that structuring your estate to pass as much of your wealth on as possible can somehow still mean "AM WORKIN CLASS!"

I’m probably only a ride on mower away from being a posh c**t