Scotrail

ScottR96

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s probably cheaper because who the f**k actually wants to go to Carlisle?

By comparison, it’s now £9.40 for a single between Perth and Dundee. A 22 minute journey. A day return is £7.60 and if you fancied staying the night in Dundee and coming back the following day, it’s £18.40. Absurd.

Similar to going to Carlisle?

55 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How will you determine if they are repeat offenders?

If they have been fined before for non payment of fare, it's probably a bit of a clue.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why so many people seem to view trains as a service which payment is essentially optional for, and which there is no penalty for being caught.

I'm curious to know to what other services these people feel the same rules should apply?

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's clearly not as simple as getting folks face on camera though or they would surely implement it?

Why would they implement it if they are currently happy just to let people pay the fare they tried to dodge when they are caught?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I'm absolutely baffled as to why so many people seem to view trains as a service which payment is essentially optional for, and which there is no penalty for being caught.

I'm curious to know to what other services these people feel the same rules should apply?

Dog Licence

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Viewing Falkirk FC play football.

Sun cream.

If they have been fined before for non payment of fare, it's probably a bit of a clue.

Well aye, but it's getting to that place in the first place was the reason for my question.

Why would they implement it if they are currently happy just to let people pay the fare they tried to dodge when they are caught?

I totally agree with your points that folk should be fined. And I used to be in disbelief that folk treated fare dodging like it was acceptable just because you can board a train without paying, I used to get the "Ah it's fine mate I'm getting off at the next station" when asking for tickets, as if that made it ok to travel 5 miles for free. Folk treat trains differently in general; the state some carriages are left in is fucking embarrassing. Absolute animals, particularly at weekends.

The reality of dealing with this kind of stuff is so far away from the theory though and it isn't as simple as recording folk and handing out fines. If it was, it would be implemented. Clearly it's cheaper to give Guard's 5% commission and cut their losses with the fare dodgers.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well aye, but it's getting to that place in the first place was the reason for my question.

I totally agree with your points that folk should be fined. And I used to be in disbelief that folk treated fare dodging like it was acceptable just because you can board a train without paying, I used to get the "Ah it's fine mate I'm getting off at the next station" when asking for tickets, as if that made it ok to travel 5 miles for free. Folk treat trains differently in general; the state some carriages are left in is fucking embarrassing. Absolute animals, particularly at weekends.

The reality of dealing with this kind of stuff is so far away from the theory though and it isn't as simple as recording folk and handing out fines. If it was, it would be implemented. Clearly it's cheaper to give Guard's 5% commission and cut their losses with the fare dodgers.

I agree with all of the above. Personally, as a poster mentioned earlier, I feel we are a bit of a soft touch when it comes to accepting shite behaviour, and the complete reluctance to do anything meaningful to reduce the instances of attempted fare dodging is an extension of that.

33 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

buses and taxis.

Troon and Barassie are both unmanned stations served by ticket machines. The local Facebook pages are awash with advice / tips on NOT buying a ticket when travelling from either as you are "unlikely" to be asked to show a ticket if not travelling to Glasgow. I no longer work in an office so no longer need a monthly ticket (I assume the few still travelling to work 5 days a week still buy seasons for the savings) but on the odd day I have travelled to Ayr I have been asked to show my ticket maybe 1 in 3 or 4 journeys. Pre pandemic it was basically checked every time. It's laughable seeing 75% of the passengers getting off at Newton in the morning to avoid the (human not automated) barrier checks at Ayr.

43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree with all of the above. Personally, as a poster mentioned earlier, I feel we are a bit of a soft touch when it comes to accepting shite behaviour, and the complete reluctance to do anything meaningful to reduce the instances of attempted fare dodging is an extension of that.

In a fantasy land all of the points you have made are completely correct. Maybe I’ve misunderstood this post but are you expecting Scotrail staff to confront passengers acting unruly or dodging fares. I assume you are from the central belt of Scotland too, and I assume have seen your fair share of people behaving horribly on trains or any where else for that matter. You don’t need to look far to find it on a night out in Glasgow or Edinburgh. 

The only authority equipped to deal with that kind of behaviour is the police, and if they can’t be bothered to get involved in ticket disputes then it most certainly shouldn’t be left to Scotrail staff to try and police that. As another poster said, there just isn’t the resource to be able to deal with the scale of the problem, and ultimately it creates a safer environment to just turn a blind eye to certain offences. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Are you expecting Scotrail staff to confront passengers acting unruly or dodging fares.

If staff are not able or willing to enforce the terms and condition of travel then what is the point in having them?

I'll ask again. Why can everywhere else manage to issue and enforce penalty fares but this is just not possible in Scotland?

It's a shite excuse that perfectly encapsulates the soft touch approach.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If staff are not able or willing to enforce the terms and condition of travel then what is the point in having them?

I'll ask again. Why can everywhere else manage to issue and enforce penalty fares but this is just not possible in Scotland?

It's a shite excuse that perfectly encapsulates the soft touch approach.

Would you risk getting your teeth punched out for a train conductors wage? I wouldn’t. 

Edit - Especially when you have the British Transport Police standing 50 feet away with their fingers up their arse. The only authority that should be confronting people who have dodged a fare is the police, not a member of Scotrail staff who have neither the training or the authority to deal with situations like that. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Would you risk getting your teeth punched out for a train conductors wage? I wouldn’t. 

Train Conductors are paid far more than police officers so this point is invalid.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Train Conductors are paid far more than police officers so this point is invalid.

Ok :lol: What’s your wage threshold for getting your teeth punched out then? 

I can just imagine a conductor confronting a group of steaming guys on the last train from Central on a Saturday night. If the conductor is lucky they tell him to f**k off, and if he is unlucky he gets attacked by a drunken bam. Who’s more equipped to deal with that particular situation? The conductor or a police officer?

Edited by IrishBhoy

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Ok :lol: What’s your wage threshold for getting your teeth punched out then

I can just imagine a conductor confronting a group of steaming guys on the last train from Central on a Saturday night. If the condcutor is lucky they tell him to f**k off, and if he is unlucky he gets attacked by a drunken bam. Who’s more equipped to deal with that particular situation? The conductor or a police officer?

£26,737

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/pay-and-grading-structure/