Scotrail

ScottR96

Actually, that is precisely where this is all heading.
Driverless trains and buses are coming whether people like it or not.
We cannot have services like transport repeatedly held to ransom like this by people who are already earning good money.
Driverless trains and buses might be coming, but that's decades away should it ever happen.

Yip. Doubt I'll see such a thing in my lifetime unless Network Rail are given billions of pounds of investment from somewhere. As I've said already, our network isn't even entirely electrified yet (which would cost hundreds of millions) so I'm not sure how folk think we'll magically be able to have a driverless network any time soon.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yip. Doubt I'll see such a thing in my lifetime unless Network Rail are given billions of pounds of investment from somewhere. As I've said already, our network isn't even entirely electrified yet (which would cost hundreds of millions) so I'm not sure how folk think we'll magically be able to have a driverless network any time soon.

Why would you need to electrify the rail system to have driverless trains?

Why would you need to electrify the rail system to have driverless trains?

You probably don't. But I think it would be a bit bizarre to focus on that ahead of meeting the green targets and having an entirely electrified network.

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I cant wait to get a Johnny Cab with a red faced swivel headed robo-driver tbqhwy.........

The technology involved in replacing the drivers over the years who have been able to coax my destination out of me whilst absolutely FUBAR would be quite something, and could likely be put to better use. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

You probably don't. But I think it would be a bit bizarre to focus on that ahead of meeting the green targets and having an entirely electrified network.

There's almost zero chance of electrifying the entire rail network. Short of new technology being developed, it's not feasible.

Lots of routes will be, but I'll  be surprised if an electric train ever makes it to Forsinard, for example.

Driverless trains are an ICA challenge. It takes different engineers with different skills to make that work.

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The automation of peoples jobs is totally separate debate tbh, probably well worth a thread in its own right. But I certainly don't think a pishy wee Scotrail trains dispute can be blamed for hastening the advancement of this type of technology on a worldwide scale. Theres no one signing off unlimited overtime over at Boston Dynamics because a few trains got cancelled in Scotland.

I certainly don't see a single advantage for society in handing peoples jobs over to machines. 

What about jobs where industries can’t recruit people?

Sure the company will only automate if it means they increase profits but customers might well get a better service to boot if companies are short-staffed because of recruitment issues.

Other than maybe taking people out of extremely dangerous situations, but the likes of automated vehicles, trains, buses etc, no. I think its a really fucking shit road humanity is on with the obsession for putting folk out of work in favour of machines. Its not going to benefit the masses. I dont know how much widening inequality in society folk need to see before they get that.
We've been on this road for millenia. Do you really think the tractor, the spreadsheet or the loom have been net losses for humanity?

Talk of automated trains is laughable given that the majority of lines in Scotland still have a guy whose specific job it is to close the doors, as the result of a moronic demarcation dispute and strike wave a few years ago.

And the passengers end up paying for this nonsense. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Most current jobs.

What will happen is exactly what has happened for hundreds of years and that is that jobs will change.

Change is the only constant in life.

Half the population will be employed caring for the other half.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In what capacity?

Are you talking about healthwise?

If so, what do you mean?

We've got a rapidly ageing population and not nearly enough spare working age people to look after them. 

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There's plenty of people wanting to do this job.

Sorting out the pay levels and fixing Brexit would be a good start.

And in a few years we'll have a heap of bus and train drivers looking for new jobs. 😜

You'll have to pay a fair bit to find anyone to wipe your arse, or mine come to it. Train drivers will offer to work for minimum wage on permanent call out to avoid it.

Edited by welshbairn

Aye, like you were looking forward to retiring so you wouldn't have to communicate with human beings anymore, only to step up your posting.