Scotrail

ScottR96

It's costing 2.5 billion euros and they expect to need a big price hike in September for normal tickets when these passes run out. Great for tourists this summer though. I think it works for slow trains going from city to city, just not the TGV style ones.

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

I’ll assume any new offer would do away with overtime and contract them to a short rotation

If not, then why not 

Yep surely they need to get new contracts out or all new drivers will be doing is late nights and weekend journeys which is fine but might not be the most attractive proposition.

Just now, Clown Job said:

I’ll assume any new offer would do away with overtime and contract them to a short rotation

If not, then why not 

Agreed. Anything short of 24/7 availability should be off the table.

You are talking about a whole other negotiation there though. 

And might I be so bold as to say, getting into the realms of forcibly changing peoples employments contracts is, mildly put, something I think should be reviled by any right thinking person.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Agreed. Anything short of 24/7 availability should be off the table.

Yeah it would force them to strike in the future, whereas right now they can cause massive disruption and still collect a wage for it 

And might I be so bold as to say, getting into the realms of forcibly changing peoples employments contracts is, mildly put, something I think should be reviled by any right thinking person.

Surely the point is that you negotiate a pay increase at the same time as the new terms and then they are linked together. If anyone doesn't want to agree the new terms they can stick with their old contract.

It's costing 2.5 billion euros and they expect to need a big price hike in September for normal tickets when these passes run out. Great for tourists this summer though. I think it works for slow trains going from city to city, just not the TGV style ones.

The big price hike will take it from "substantially less than our prices" to "still quite a lot less than our prices".

Just now, Bairnardo said:

It's not forcible, though. No one is forcing them to do anything here.

They've been offered a 4.2% pay rise, and have rejected it. They have the option to accept that if they wish to keep their current, not really fit for purpose, contracts in 2022, or accept that their job role in 2022 requires Scotrail being able to provide a public service 24 hours a day / 7 days a week where needed, and that if they want to demand a 10% rise on their already relatively healthy base salary then some flexibility is required from them too.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The big price hike will take it from "substantially less than our prices" to "still quite a lot less than our prices".

I'm not convinced that local rail travel in Germany is massively cheaper than here tbh.

Certainly not in Berlin

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It’s a vital public service 

It shouldn’t grind to a halt because drivers don’t want to work overtime

The contracts are clearly not fit for purpose anymore, I prefer them to strike than what they’re currently doing