Scotrail

ScottR96

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
The technology obviously already exists to bin them all. Apparently the public aren't ready to travel on driverless trains, except they do in some parts of the country.

The network isn't entirely electrified yet. We're miles away from our train service being driverless.

Well you would say that. Driverless cars seem to work. Your days are numbered.

Well you would say that. Driverless cars seem to work. Your days are numbered.

I'll be retired and you'll be deid before we see Scotland with an entirely driverless service. I may also be deid tbh.

I really don’t have much to contribute to this debate other than, people are more than entitled to withdraw their Labour if they feel they are being shafted, employers are more than entitled to find others that are willing to work for what they pay. 
To say train drivers are being paid excessively is being silly, their wage appears fair enough to me when considered to other professions. The responsibility (if they make a mistake) alone, is worth an upgrade from similarly skilled jobs that don’t carry the same risk.

Anyone saying that they are wrong to carry out this unofficial action, is a Tory. 

4 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

55k is hardly excessive, given it's a skilled and probably at times very stressful job. They certainly have a huge amount of responsibility.

I didn't say it was 'excessive'. Their current wage of £50k is however "more than decent" by any objective analysis, so the idea that they're striking to obtain a decent wage is 100%, utter bollocks. 

Perhaps it should be higher as lots of jobs in this country are underpaid, or perhaps there are a number of people working 9-5 in lower skilled and less demanding jobs that don't necessarily 'deserve' to be paid more. 

What evidence is there that skill level explains the salary, as opposed to decades of syndicalist union action? I can think of plenty of more demanding jobs that are getting half that salary. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I didn't say it was 'excessive'. Their current wage of £50k is however "more than decent" by any objective analysis, so the idea that they're striking to obtain a decent wage is 100%, utter bollocks. 

What evidence is there that skill level explains the salary, as opposed to decades of syndicalist union action? I can think of plenty of more demanding jobs that are getting half that salary. 

Name your top 5 more more demanding jobs on a lesser salary please? 

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

Ffs Sarge, I’m only thinking of your service to the nation, although lightly skilled, carried a lot of responsibility…. You deserve everything coming to you. 

I was just about to suggest civil servants. The machinery of Government, it's a thankless but necessary task.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How come nobody complains about airline pilots' wages? They're on about double and have even less to do. No having to land and take off at every station on the Fife circuit.

Well, exactly....and why are they all paid more than bus drivers?

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Well, exactly....and why are they all paid more than bus drivers?

I think we should just be delighted for people getting decent pay and start campaigning for bus drivers. Much better than whining about train drivers only getting a 6% cut in real wages.

I really don’t have much to contribute to this debate other than, people are more than entitled to withdraw their Labour if they feel they are being shafted, employers are more than entitled to find others that are willing to work for what they pay. 
To say train drivers are being paid excessively is being silly, their wage appears fair enough to me when considered to other professions. The responsibility (if they make a mistake) alone, is worth an upgrade from similarly skilled jobs that don’t carry the same risk.
Anyone saying that they are wrong to carry out this unofficial action, is a Tory. 

But what about the drivers holding the country to ransom? Make drivers work 70 hour weeks on minimum wage if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think we should just be delighted for people getting decent pay and start campaigning for bus drivers. Much better than whining about train drivers only getting a 6% cut in real wages.

Much better than essential workers not being able to get to their jobs, because train drivers are whining about getting £52k basic rather than £55k. 

That's what's really happening here. 

23 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Name your top 5 more more demanding jobs on a lesser salary please? 

Care home workers

Nurses

Special needs auxiliary staff

Social worker

Retail staff dealing with arsehole customers all day

We really could go on all day and still not find many occupations that are less demanding than going into a cabin, having been first trained to push a handful of buttons and the  keep doing that according to obvious cues day in, day out. 

Other than having to wipe the windscreens after another 'Cardonald special', tedium rather than stress is the likely the biggest issue with the role. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Much better than essential workers not being able to get to their jobs, because train drivers are whining about getting £52k basic rather than £55k. 

That's what's really happening here. 

No, it’s really not what’s happening. Essential workers- train drivers, are expected to work overtime to keep the country afloat, they disagree with their terms & conditions & rather than depriving the nation of a service, they have decided to only work to their contractual obligations. Nothing to see here. Tory 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Care home workers

Nurses

Special needs auxiliary staff

Social worker

Retail staff dealing with arsehole customers all day

We really could go on all day and still not find many occupations that are less demanding than going into a cabin, having been first trained to push a handful of buttons and the  keep doing that according to obvious cues day in, day out. 

Other than having to wipe the windscreens after another 'Cardonald special', tedium rather than stress is the likely the biggest issue with the role. 

Retail Staff - arsehile customers! Your opinion can be disregarded immediately.