Scotrail

ScottR96

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, virginton said:
Here was me thinking that drivers weren't working overtime and that the union had absolutely nothing to do with it. 

I think everyone is well aware the drivers are deliberately not doing overtime due to the pay dispute, which they are well within their right to do. If I thought I was being shafted by my company I'd also not do any overtime as is my right.

You’ve changed your tune.  A few hours ago you were claiming this was all down to Scotrail management running the service into the ground.

When it was pointed out to you this was all down to wanting a pay rise you still bashed on with your argument.

Even the tories don’t u-turn as quick as you.

You’ve changed your tune.  A few hours ago you were claiming this was all down to Scotrail management running the service into the ground.
When it was pointed out to you this was all down to wanting a pay rise you still bashed on with your argument.
This is entirely down to Scotrail running it into the ground what functional company can't carry out a normal working schedule without people carrying out significant overtime, how you can even claim this is the drivers' fault and not managers is mental.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

One for the Quick Question Thread really, but more likely to get an answer here:

I'm getting an LNER down to England from Aberdeen; do I need to wait until Berwick to crack open the (by then warm) drinks, or is it an 'English' law train that allows a drink at any point?

One of the FAQ on their website says that alcohol is banned on the 09.52 Aberdeen to London every Friday between Aberdeen and Newcastle. In the catering FAQs at the bottom of the linked page. 

LNER

Edited by Flash

Just now, Empty It said:
4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This is entirely down to Scotrail running it into the ground what functional company can't carry out a normal working schedule without people carrying out significant overtime, how you can even claim this is the drivers' fault and not managers is mental.

Right you are 😂😂😂.

U-turned again.

Which is it?  Management running the service into the ground or the pay dispute?

Right you are [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
U-turned again.
Which is it?  Management running the service into the ground or the pay dispute?
Clearly you're getting emotional due to being inconvenienced by this but you're aiming your anger in all the wrong places [emoji106]

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Clearly you're getting emotional due to being inconvenienced by this but you're aiming your anger in all the wrong places emoji106.png

Not emotional or inconvenienced in the slightest mate.  I get on a Scotrail train a handful of times a year (if that).  Whether Scotrail trains run or not has sod all impact to me personally.

I’m not the one that’s all over the place with my viewpoint and trying to defend the indefensible.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

One for the Quick Question Thread really, but more likely to get an answer here:

I'm getting an LNER down to England from Aberdeen; do I need to wait until Berwick to crack open the (by then warm) drinks, or is it an 'English' law train that allows a drink at any point?

It's fine. I got an LNER down to Inverkeithing a couple of weeks ago and the bar was serving to folk. As others have said, the ban is only Scotrail (and even then rarely enforced).

Edited by DA Baracus

Not emotional or inconvenienced in the slightest mate.  I get on a Scotrail train a handful of times a year (if that).  Whether Scotrail trains run or not has sod all impact to me personally.
I’m not the one that’s all over the place with my viewpoint and trying to defend the indefensible.
I'm not all over the place, the drivers aren't doing overtime due to the pay dispute which they are entirely within their rights to do, the issue lies with Scotrail not being able to provide a service without this overtime hence they're to blame for their poor management. That's been my point from the start.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I hope these well paid individuals pat themselves on the back and enjoy their pay rise and that it doesn't keep them awake at night worrying about which poor b*****d is going to be paying for it all.

Because someone is going to lose out to pay for this and as usual it'll be the people right at the bottom in things like reduced council services.

If the burden of giving train drivers a well below inflation wage rise falls on the poorest of society, then that will have been the result of a conscious, and unnecessary, decision by the government.

Making out that train drivers will be responsible if council schemes don’t get their bins emptied is quite the leap.

32 minutes ago, Empty It said:
37 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I'm not all over the place, the drivers aren't doing overtime due to the pay dispute which they are entirely within their rights to do, the issue lies with Scotrail not being able to provide a service without this overtime hence they're to blame for their poor management. That's been my point from the start.

So it isn’t an issue that drivers all change their working practices to get a pay rise and then change them back to how they’ve been happy to operate for years.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s right that Scotrail/Scotgov have let this position arise.  If you go back through my posts I know I certainly haven’t said that.  The drivers are just as culpable for the current situation as Scotrail, Scotgov and the Union.

They’re far from working class heroes that should be applauded, no matter how you try to spin it.  They’re leveraging the driver shortage to hold the country to ransom.  The shortage isn’t their fault per se but it has never bothered them until now and won’t bother them if they accept the offer that’s apparently on the table.

You do realise working class people in Scotland will have to fund this pay rise yeah?  What the train drivers get  has to be taken from somewhere else.

Edited by Left Back

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Always someone else's fault.

Aren’t you the one blaming hypothetical cuts on a train driver salary increase…?

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To understand that last sentence of yours, you'd need to understand that all of this funding including a lot of council funding comes from one big pot.

If that pot is reduced by greedy, entitled train drivers then there is less for central government to give to councils which means either service cuts or higher council tax.

There is no magic money tree I'm afraid.

I understand perfectly well, thanks. You can stop being a patronising w****r.

There are other ways that a government can find money to give public sector workers a below inflation pay rise besides cutting council services or raising council tax, you know. You appear to be struggling to understand that part.

Edited by eez-eh

I must have missed the part where the train drivers had any say in Scotrail being nationalised, and also the part where this meant that they could never again have any say about their pay and other working conditions.

In addition I seem to have missed that they've all stopped paying tax as well.

Unbelievable stuff here about a few train drivers holding the country to ransom for a decent wage, stealing money from poor, while directors' salaries have never been such huge multiples of average salaries. :lol: 

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unbelievable stuff here about a few train drivers holding the country to ransom for a decent wage, stealing money from poor, while directors' salaries have never been such huge multiples of average salaries. :lol: 

Straight out the Tory playbook. Focus the ire elsewhere to take the attention away from the fat cats.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's only Scotrail that have an alcohol ban.

Drink away Kind Sir

So it isn’t an issue that drivers all change their working practices to get a pay rise and then change them back to how they’ve been happy to operate for years.

Correct it isn't an issue because they're well within their rights to do so, if you have a problem with that blame the people who have left the system dependant on the overtime it's really that simple. Also this happy to do the overtime myth, on the odd occasion I've spoke to a train driver they've always complained about the amount of overtime they're expected and feel pressured into doing because if they don't do double their contracted hours they're "holding the country to ransom". If I was a train driver right now I'd be telling them to shove their OT up their arse aswell.

I’m trying to work how what is happening here as not really well versed in what has been happening. So the train drivers have always been happy to do overtime to add to their already decent salary. However, they want a pay rise (higher than they have already been offered) so they have stopped the overtime which has crippled the train system. If they get the desired pay rise then they will be happy to go back to doing overtime. Is that right?

Hard not to see fault in both sides to be honest.

Drivers don't want overtime. Put an end to overtime and tell Joe Public this is the new timetable, this is the new normal then go get some new drivers. Everybody happy.

Easy to find folk that will work for £50K a year. I'd love a decent wage of £50K a year. Wouldn't know what to do with all the money.