Scotrail

ScottR96

3 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Where’s this detailed? Can’t find mention of it online anywhere 

I got an email, you need to have a Club50 card. Nothing on the website yet.

Your next exclusive Flat Fare offer is almost here.

From Monday 7 March until 1 May 2022, you can travel anywhere in Scotland for just £12 return. That’s right, eight weeks of travel freedom throughout Scotland. Remember that your Flat Fare offers open return tickets, and you can book as many as you like during the promotional period - perfect for an Easter staycation!

It’s really easy to book your Flat Fare ticket. From Monday 7 March:  

Click the ‘buy £12 Flat Fare’ button
Enter your journey details into the booking engine
Select the £12 Off-Peak Open Return fare
Complete your booking as normal

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is the sort of shite that brings out the homicidal maniac in me: I want a f***ing return.  

It's hugely annoying but if you book 2 day returns instead you'll save a tenner. 

• 4 weeks later...

The media reports about Mhairi Black drinking on the train back from the Thistle game at Ayr on Friday say that the ban on drinking on trains was extended for 18 months from 1 April when the Scot Govt took over the Scotrail franchise.

Is this right ? We had bought a few cans for the train back from Perth on Saturday and at the ticket barriers a policeman said we had to have it concealed in a bag within the station (wee Scotrail boy gave us a polly bag out his office, a good egg) but we COULD drink it on the train. We did just that (as did 75% of the rest of the passengers) with zero mention of any ban by two different Scotrail staff members working on board. Very odd !

ETA I suspect the "ban" MB was in breach of was the old pre pandemic restrictions between 9pm and 8am as those were the rules before the "temporary " ban was brought in. It could be we have returned to those rules rather than the blanket ban being extended.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The media reports about Mhairi Black drinking on the train back from the Thistle game at Ayr on Friday say that the ban on drinking on trains was extended for 18 months from 1 April when the Scot Govt took over the Scotrail franchise.

Is this right ? We had bought a few cans for the train back from Perth on Saturday and at the ticket barriers a policeman said we had to have it concealed in a bag within the station (wee Scotrail boy gave us a polly bag out his office, a good egg) but we COULD drink it on the train. We did just that (as did 75% of the rest of the passengers) with zero mention of any ban by two different Scotrail staff members working on board. Very odd !

ETA I suspect the "ban" MB was in breach of was the old pre pandemic restrictions between 9pm and 8am as those were the rules before the "temporary " ban was brought in. It could be we have returned to those rules rather than the blanket ban being extended.

Had a couple of cans for my journey on Saturday and plenty folk had bevy aswell so the usual rules would apply...don't be an arsehole then it's fine 

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

it is still the full ban 
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/our-rules-travel/alcohol-ban

Mmmm that article still mentions mask wearing and social distancing neither of which still apply.
There's still a total alcohol ban on Scotrail services. Not that folk bother to adhere to it. Black should appear in the Calling Cards of a Moron thread though. What did she expect would happen if she was snapped?

Seems like the Scotrail staff aren’t enforcing it at all, people were openly drinking on our train at the weekend and conductors walked on by saying nothing.

Must have used Scotrail most weekends this season, drinking on almost every journey and an overly officious conductor has said something maybe once or twice in total. 

The 18 months thing is bad wording, if it’s the same as what I read earlier. The ban has been on the go for 18 months and it’s continued (or “extended”) into ScotGov ownership. 

Even if they keep the ban, it’s not really an issue in reality.

Must have used Scotrail most weekends this season, drinking on almost every journey and an overly officious conductor has said something maybe once or twice in total. 
The 18 months thing is bad wording, if it’s the same as what I read earlier. The ban has been on the go for 18 months and it’s continued (or “extended”) into ScotGov ownership. 
Even if they keep the ban, it’s not really an issue in reality.

It is an issue in reality, because like many other laws of this nature it ends up being enforced on the whim of the sort of officious conductors (or police officers) you describe, and leads to a very obvious unfairness. Given the history of this country, you can quite imagine it being used to target the working class and minorities.

The service is now run by a Government that last year allowed pubs to open on the condition they didn't serve alcohol. They're hardly going to allow it again on the trains, are they?