Scotrail

ScottR96

10 hours ago, virginton said:

A tree being blown onto the line at Kilwinning is not actually the smoking gun justification for shutting down every single line in the country south of Aberdeen on a 'just in case' basis, that people somehow think it is. 

This wagon-circling desperation to defend Scotrail's non-existent honour is no doubt related to their imminent transfer to government ownership. Which will no doubt lead to more absolute roasters like yourself defending patently dung service in the name of independence. 

Did you froth?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Buses are already subsidised, we probably both get free bus travel. Airlines get tax free fuel which is a huge benefit to their running costs.

Buses are nowhere near as subsidised as trains.  The SG gave Abellio and Servo £350,000,000 extra on top of their normal subsidies for a year.  This is 8 times the amount that bus companies received and they had to continue to provide a higher %age of normal service than train companies did to qualify for the funding.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Buses are nowhere near as subsidised as trains.  The SG gave Abellio and Servo £350,000,000 extra on top of their normal subsidies for a year.  This is 8 times the amount that bus companies received and they had to continue to provide a higher %age of normal service than train companies did to qualify for the funding.

So would you rather keep subsidising trains, charge enough for tickets so they don't need state subsidies, or get rid of them?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So would you rather keep subsidising trains, charge enough for tickets so they don't need state subsidies, or get rid of them?

I have to travel 36 miles to even see a railway line, an explanation as to why I should subsidise the users of trains would be most welcome.

6 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Have they got their excuses in yet for tomorrows dusting of snow? Been a stressful week managing all these cancellations so the gift of a long weekend seems only fair 

Funny you should say that, as they've already decided to just sack off services between Dundee and Aberdeen:

Because of Storm Eunice which is expected to move through Scotland tomorrow, Friday 18th February, we've had to make some alterations to services as follows -
Edinburgh/Queen St - Arbroath services will start from and terminate at Dundee.
Montrose - Inverurie services will start from and terminate at Aberdeen.
Montrose - Aberdeen services will be suspended.

Snow - the latest dreadful hazard that will definitely cause another Stonehaven

Just now, strichener said:

I have to travel 36 miles to even see a railway line, an explanation as to why I should subsidise the users of trains would be most welcome.

So you can travel another hundred miles in relaxed comfort after your 36 miles in a rickety bus.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Funny you should say that, as they've already decided to just sack off services between Dundee and Aberdeen:

Snow - the latest dreadful hazard that will definitely cause another Stonehaven

We just don't know

6 hours ago, thisal said:

Thats the answer. We should spend as much on snow clearance as Canada does. Nnn.

Aye, and massively increase rail subsidies or fares to prevent them being shut down for a handful of days a year.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂

Rail network in Scotland can't operate in the cold.

It’s to be 2 degrees through the day in Montrose tomorrow.

This is one of the warmer winters I can remember and I don’t recall ever hearing that excuse being trotted out.