Scotrail

ScottR96

51 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Where do you get the funds for investment in new trains, upgrades, etc.?

You need profits for reinvestment

An efficient transport infrastructure benefits the whole economy, not just people who buy train tickets. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An efficient transport infrastructure benefits the whole economy, not just people who buy train tickets. 

Agreed about that but are you saying that capital expenditure comes out of general taxation.

Yes, that’s what your saying. People who don’t use the railways subsidise the users.

Its an interesting argument but I don’t agree with you.

What about the airlines? Do you think the same there? Also, buses? Where do subsidies end?

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agreed about that but are you saying that capital expenditure comes out of general taxation.

Yes, that’s what your saying. People who don’t use the railways subsidise the users.

Its an interesting argument but I don’t agree with you.

What about the airlines? Do you think the same there? Also, buses? Where do subsidies end?

Buses are already subsidised, we probably both get free bus travel. Airlines get tax free fuel which is a huge benefit to their running costs.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Buses are already subsidised, we probably both get free bus travel. Airlines get tax free fuel which is a huge benefit to their running costs.

Yes, and government subsidises little used routes. I’ve got a bus pass but never use it. However, the likes of Stagecoach and First Bus buy their own rolling stock.

Its a complicated issue but to have the state running transport totally is not a scenario I would relish.

i certainly think fares should include a portion for profits to allow for reinvestment with specific sectors being subsidised e.g. unprofitable but socially important routes and particular parts of the population.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was on holiday in Canada about 8 years ago and a snowstorm hit which lasted about ten days.

It was hilarious how they didn't even bat an eyelid at metres of snow and carried on as normal, while people here shit their pants at a little dusting.

Doesn't sound that hilarious tbh.

14 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was on holiday in Canada about 8 years ago and a snowstorm hit which lasted about ten days.

It was hilarious how they didn't even bat an eyelid at metres of snow and carried on as normal, while people here shit their pants at a little dusting.

Thats the answer. We should spend as much on snow clearance as Canada does. Nnn.