Scotrail

ScottR96

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If they're already booked as holidays before the strike then you can, surely?

I suppose they wouldn't be strike days at that point so no issue?   I'm assuming you mean booking them before the strike was called. 

I suppose they wouldn't be strike days at that point so no issue?   I'm assuming you mean booking them before the strike was called. 
We have had situations like that in the past. Pre booked leave is honoured however if they were a union member they were "asked" to still give up their days pay. I have no idea if that happened or not.

I was obviously wrong about workers booking strike days as holidays after they were called, in my mind I was thinking that management would like more staff to be available on non strike days especially with working to rule, overtime bans and the like, but clearly they wouldn't want to make striking cost free to the strikers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently on the train home from the football. 

Due to time constraints had to rush to the purchase of the carry out to a location with less choice, so got a 4 pack of Heineken Silver.

Was questioned by the conductor when he walked by. Managed to convince him that Heineken Silver is their non alcoholic version.

• 1 month later...

S03E06-8EhSF4A8-subtitled.jpg.8b5aca5c8ac0d150534040df9a29c24f.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/02/caledonian-sleeper-rail-service-to-be-nationalised-by-scottish-ministers

Now show me someone who has never used public transport, without telling me they have never used public transport:

Scottish Conservative transport spokesperson Graham Simpson criticised the decision and said: “The minister agreed that the sleeper has surpassed any other train company in the UK in its recovery from the pandemic and was thriving and a world class service.

tumblr_inline_ppkeygMAmw1tdj9l1_400.gif.2d7cd52a4c64c5b55b40cf40f8d3ead1.gif

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Unless you are Dennis Bergkamp or Mr T, I have no idea why anyone would choose to use the sleeper.

Because taking a domestic flight is terrible for the environment, you get to arrive in central London, and you don't have to pay for an extra night's hotel in one of the world's most expensive cities.

Can't imagine doing it from the Central Belt but it's definitely a decent option from Inverness or Aberdeen if you have a morning meeting or something. Decent meal and an early night, arrive fresh and showered instead of getting up at 4am for the early flight followed by rush hour on the tube or train to the centre, or forking out for a hotel, as said.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Unless you are Dennis Bergkamp or Mr T, I have no idea why anyone would choose to use the sleeper.

Used it once and can't say I found it great. For some reason I thought the beds would be parallel to the track, that threw me for some reason. The room was absolutely tiny and it wasn't a great night sleep for me. 

Can see why folk choose to use it though. 

I’ve used it once but there were still concerns about covid so we couldn’t use the restaurant. Decent enough sleep apart from waking up at every station. Still a million times better than the bus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Last time I bought a train ticket from a human being was at least 5 years ago. 

This. With the advancements in mobile and automated ticketing, the days of manned ticket offices are numbered.

On board conductors already dispense tickets to those who can't (or don't) buy one any other way anyway.

Jobs becoming obsolete isn't a new thing.