Scotrail

ScottR96

I agree however "cover it" would involve having to rota staff onto it.  I know from my time working with another transport provider that when there is strike action is not just a case of issuing out the normal rotas and hoping you get enough people turn up.
I thought that would also be pretty obvious especially given that it isn't in Scotrail's interest to have reduced services when the strikes are called off.

It's perhaps the wording but I'm genuinely struggling with your point. Do you think the staff are sitting around on a 'Thursday' and won't know what they're doing until the 'Friday' when they arrive at work?
Who's on an overtime ban? 
Guards are work to rule the now*. I've no idea if other grades are the same.

* At least they were. Not sure what the latest is after that release.

I needed to travel by train to Dumfries tomorrow so was delighted that the strikes were put on hold. To not be able to organise a full timetable by Monday morning is absolutely fucking laughable and serious questions should be asked of the competence and contingency planning skills of those in charge. 

16 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

As far as I was aware it's more down to Network Rail's staffing and planning arrangements transitioning from a skeleton service back to covering signalling etc across the whole network, than to Scotrails ability to run more trains.

This isn’t just Scotrail -my boss has struggled into the London office several hours late because the trains from Peterborough are still fucked.  

Presumably quite a few staff would have booked strike days off as holidays which, combined with some staff working to rule and refusing overtime would have made running a full service with next to no notice well nigh impossible.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably quite a few staff would have booked strike days off as holidays which, combined with some staff working to rule and refusing overtime would have made running a full service with next to no notice well nigh impossible.

^^^ Simps gotta simp. 

I have never known leave to be allowed on a strike day anywhere I have worked. It was almost the first announcement made after a strike was confirmed.

On 06/11/2022 at 20:36, 'WellDel said:

As far as I was aware it's more down to Network Rail's staffing and planning arrangements transitioning from a skeleton service back to covering signalling etc across the whole network, than to Scotrails ability to run more trains.

Most signal boxes have been open as normal. But they did extended a lot of the planned closures to try and get more work done on track 

• 2 weeks later...

4 new 48hr strikes announced by the RMT for Network Rail workers for 13/14 and 16/17 December, then  3/4 and 6/7 of January.

A pain in the arse for me, having trains booked to London down the 3rd and back 7th of January, so had to book flights.  Slight inconvenience on my part, but nothing compared to the workers having to lose a lot of wages at this time of year. 

Anyway, up the workers and f**k the tories. 

42 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

4 new 48hr strikes announced by the RMT for Network Rail workers for 13/14 and 16/17 December, then  3/4 and 6/7 of January.

A pain in the arse for me, having trains booked to London down the 3rd and back 7th of January, so had to book flights.  Slight inconvenience on my part, but nothing compared to the workers having to lose a lot of wages at this time of year. 

Anyway, up the workers and f**k the tories. 

Nobody is forcing them to strike.