Scotrail

ScottR96

Train for Montrose pulls into Aberdeen station there and sits about for 10 mins before telling everyone on board "unfortunately this service has been cancelled due to a train fault"
On a morning when their website says there's the risk of short term cancellations due to overtime-related strike action? With a train that was clearly working 10 mins ago? Train fault my arse.  Dirty rotten lying b*****ds.
They do it week in week out at Ayr. Train pulls in, passengers get on and 2 mins before it's scheduled to depart on comes a Scotrail employee shouting it's been cancelled due to a train fault or a line fault. Everyone shuffles over to another platform to wait half an hour for the next service and 10m into that half hour the now cleared "faulty" train leaves empty so the faulty train is clearly able to travel up the faulty line. They use both excuses interchangeably, both shown as a sham to every passenger now waiting in a shell of a station with no covered seating.

But it could be a fault that stops it running in passenger service but it can still run empty to the depot for repairs.
It could but given it happens to the 16.40 out of Ayr about once every week it seems highly unlikely. They just need to admit they don't have crew and be done with it rather than some cock and bull nonsense.

Strikes suspended tomorrow but still virtually no service which given the notice is understandable but it would be interesting to know if the staff are now getting a full days pay for not working.
They'll be showing up for work so will get a full day's pay.

55 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
Strikes suspended tomorrow but still virtually no service which given the notice is understandable but it would be interesting to know if the staff are now getting a full days pay for not working.

Some gig that.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
16 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Union have played a blinder here.  Getting the disruption in at no cost to their union strike funds.

8 hours ago, strichener said:

Union have played a blinder here.  Getting the disruption in at no cost to their union strike funds.

Scotrail seem to be the ones that are unable to run a service despite their staff not being on strike.some spokesman said it was too short notice to post rosters-eh?surely rosters were already posted&when there's a strike staff just don't turn up for their rostered posts or am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

Scotrail seem to be the ones that are unable to run a service despite their staff not being on strike.some spokesman said it was too short notice to post rosters-eh?surely rosters were already posted&when there's a strike staff just don't turn up for their rostered posts or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing that ScotRail reallocate the resources to provide minimal services.

We already know that they need people to be working overtime to run a normal timetable so therefore it doesn't make sense to have these people on the rota when you need less staff to run the minimal service. 

I can only imagine what would have happened if ScotRail turned round last night and put all these overtime guys onto a rota for today.  Service cancellations all over the shop and even more complaints about ScotRail and how they can't function correctly.

Edited by strichener

Yes, you are missing that ScotRail reallocate the resources to provide minimal services.
We already know that they need people to be working overtime to run a normal timetable so therefore it doesn't make sense to have these people on the rota when you need less staff to run the minimal service. 
I can only imagine what would have happened if ScotRail turned round last night and put all these overtime guys onto a rota for today.  Service cancellations all over the shop and even more complaints about ScotRail and how they can't function correctly.

Every member of staff is on a roster. The daily jobs needing covered are covered by those who make themselves available to work. Staff would have known last Thursday what shift they were supposed to be on today when the weekly roster was printed.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Every member of staff is on a roster. The daily jobs needing covered are covered by those who make themselves available to work. Staff would have known last Thursday what shift they were supposed to be on today when the weekly roster was printed.

That's what I'd assumed when I made my original post

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's amazing then that the people that turn up for work are always the ones that work on the Glasgow to Edinburgh lines.  What are the chances of that happening.

It's amazing then that the people that turn up for work are always the ones that work on the Glasgow to Edinburgh lines.  What are the chances of that happening.
Given its probably the busiest line they have I'd imagine they do their best to cover it first. Probably the same reason it's one of the few routes that will always have some form of service during strike dates.

I thought that was pretty obvious tbh.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given its probably the busiest line they have I'd imagine they do their best to cover it first. Probably the same reason it's one of the few routes that will always have some form of service during strike dates.

I thought that was pretty obvious tbh.

I agree however "cover it" would involve having to rota staff onto it.  I know from my time working with another transport provider that when there is strike action is not just a case of issuing out the normal rotas and hoping you get enough people turn up.

I thought that would also be pretty obvious especially given that it isn't in Scotrail's interest to have reduced services when the strikes are called off.