Scotrail

ScottR96

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Why does the SG treat the Scottish public with such utter contempt? 

Well only a certain section of the Scottish public 

If you had to guess, do you think the BTP would be targeting fans on the train to Hampden or to Murryfield? 

23 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Well only a certain section of the Scottish public 

If you had to guess, do you think the BTP would be targeting fans on the train to Hampden or to Murryfield? 

Football fans are part of it but I think it’s bigger than just that. 

I think the SG see themselves as the ones to stamp out the drinking culture but their method is to just deny people. Make it more expensive, make licensing more difficult, ban it in more and more settings. 

The plebs will complain now but in a few years they’ll thank us. 

It’s just fuckin lazy government. I bet when this ‘national conversation’ happens they will say anti social incidents on trains are way down. 
But that’s in the same way you’d have less car accidents if you banned driving. 
Tackle the culture of folk drinking irresponsibly and put in measures so that folk that want a drink and families wanting a quiet trip can get on the same train. But that’s too hard and too much effort, just ban the booze. 
Funnily enough, anti social behaviour is well up since the ban was imposed.

Bring back the booze.

3 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Funnily enough, anti social behaviour is well up since the ban was imposed.

I cannot think why chinning a group of people for drinking on the train might cause more issues than just leaving them alone. Anyone?

See also puritanical do-gooders grassing them up and then getting a reaction.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yeah there won’t be any kind of ‘national conversation’ at all, that’s just buzzword nonsense.
The decision has already been made by the people that matter and the results of some lip service survey and/or focus group findings won’t make a slightest bit of difference to anything.
The only question now is what this fun police government we keep electing is going to go after next. Alcohol in airports would be my guess.

I've been on hundreds of planes and probably thousands of trains and have little memory of things getting so out of control so people felt threatened, annoyed a handful of times for sure. But every time someone kicks off on a plane it's front page headlines in the tabloids, so people think it happens all the time. The real danger is the same as it's ever been, tanked up people getting on the train after a long session picking on someone, but banning drink on trains does nothing to stop that, only more BTP at appropriate times maybe.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 

Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.

This is another example of how stupid it is. If they can (and will) refuse travel to those who are drunk and believe could pose a risk to themselves and others then there's no need to ban those wanting a wee tin on the way to Balloch. They have the powers to get the fandans tae f**k already

How are they going to stop drunk folk getting on a train? The vast majority of the time you aren't 'checked' getting on to a train. You simply scan your ticket at the barrier/put your ticket in the machine at the barrier then walk on and grab a seat. 

I suspect that, like the drinking ban, this will not only be almost never enforced, but is pretty much impossible to enforce save for very rare occasions.

Do these p***ks not realise that a HUGE part of the reason for train use at nights and weekends is the avoidance of driving so folk can have a drink.

They really are coming out of this looking like absolute melts, whether it's going to be enforced or not.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Do these p***ks not realise that a HUGE part of the reason for train use at nights and weekends is the avoidance of driving so folk can have a drink.

They really are coming out of this looking like absolute melts, whether it's going to be enforced or not.

You're ultimately dealing here with a government that once allowed pubs to open on the proviso that they didn't serve any alcohol. 

It's all a dystopian dream for a perfectly safe and sanitised world where nothing unexpected or a bit rowdy ever happens, children aren't allowed to play outside, but people live a few years longer, alone and unloved.

On 29/07/2022 at 21:35, 54_and_counting said:

And yet they continue to be voted in for some reason 

They do theirselves no favours at all. I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I choose to believe its an easy out and 99% of folk will be left alone.

I choose to believe this as I would get too annoyed otherwise 

Yeah nothing that's been announced today has changed how I (and I'd assume most folk) feel in regards to drinking and getting pulled up for anything. 

The bad looks you'd get off the text the BTP mob are never for everyone and anyone drinking either though- the 50 y.o plus wifeys with their prosecco, wee cups and Thai sweet chilli sensations wont have an eyelid batted but lord forbid someone has a 4 pack. 

It's for me triggered an annoyance off the back of the way covid was handled up here of feeling like rules are put in place that achieve nothing other than making folk turn their noise up at others feeling morally superior. 

11 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I shall probably get red dotted for this but if we do get another referendum and it’s a no vote. SNP really should be voted out at the next general election. 

I voted yes in the last referendum and up to the last election always voted SNP but have no intention to do it again as they're currently being run. Covid has been the single most important issue in my life and I completely disagree with the way the handled almost the entire thing, they can ram it. 

29 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I voted yes in the last referendum and up to the last election always voted SNP but have no intention to do it again as they're currently being run. Covid has been the single most important issue in my life and I completely disagree with the way the handled almost the entire thing, they can ram it. 

Completely agree, which is why I dinghied my party membership and then spoiled the council election ballot due to all four options being risible.

That all said, the ball has been rolling on these sort of issues ever since devolution was introduced. Any professional victim lobby/ prohibition group like 'Alcohol Focus Scotland' gets the open door treatment at Holyrood to deliver their Helen Lovejoy act, in part because the Parliament doesn't have full powers to focus on what matters. So it legislates for what doesn't instead and massively restricts our rights. 

Though the fact that New Zealand and Sturgeon's political idol are battering on with a ridiculous cigarette ban on selected age groups suggests that independence is not the automatic solution to this wet wipe mindset either.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I choose to believe its an easy out and 99% of folk will be left alone.

I choose to believe this as I would get too annoyed otherwise 

I think most people do get left alone but even then all that does is give the conductors license to pick on the easy targets.

Either way it’s a load of fucking shite.

8 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 

Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.

At what point do they refuse travel? You aren't checked before you get on so I guess they are saying they would fling some steamers off the train in the middle of nowhere quite possibly late at night.

Aye that's definitely the best way to make sure folk aren't a danger to themselves or others.